My JHP is Perfect... but only with FMJ.

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by wastepro, Aug 16, 2015.

1. wastepro

wastepro Member

Hello, folks. I've owned a Hi-Point JHP .45 for nearly a year now.

I probably have fired around 700 rounds through it. Using FMJ, I have not experienced a single malfunction.

However, I experience consistent failure-to-feed using hollow point ammunition. So far I've tested:

• Hornady Custom
    • Hornady Critical Duty
    • PMC Starfire
    • Liberty Defense
    • Corbon Pow'RBall*

Usually, when loaded with a full magazine, the HP rounds produce a failure to feed on the second round after the first has been fired. The round nose dives into the lower part of the feed ramp, usually requiring the magazine to be removed and the slide to be pulled back to extract.

I put an asterisk (*) next to the Corbon Pow'RBall because it dived into the top portion of the feed ramp, and I have shot a full magazine of Powr'Ball without a malfunction. I need to test more of it to determine whether it could feed reliably - but it's expensive, like all HP ammo.

Some of the brands listed above will work without malfunction when I load the magazine down to five rounds - possibly 6. I haven't tested it enough yet, because I've only been able to fire about 20rds of each of the brands through the gun, due to the cost.

I'm not expert, but I think the magazines are the problem...

I bought the Hi-Point .45 for home defense. As you can imagine, I'm disappointed that I can't get the handgun to feed HPs reliably. And I don't think it's ethical to use FMJ for home defense, especially in the apartment complex where I live.

Currently, I have the gun in my nightstand with two magazines down-loaded with 5 rounds of Powr'Ball HP. I would probably download the magazines even if they fed perfectly at full capacity.

I'm 100 percent confident that the weapon would function perfectly with FMJ in a defensive situation. I'm not 100 percent confident the weapon would function perfectly with HP in a defensive situation.

The way I see it, I have a few options:

1) Continue to test different kinds of ammo until I find an HP round that cycles flawlessly with a full magazine
    2) Continue to test a round like the Pow'RBall at 5-6 rounds in the magazine until I'm confident that the pistol will function flawlessly with the downloaded magazine
    3) Sell the gun and buy something like a Ruger SR45
    4) Use FMJ and learn some kind of tactical work-around for the over-penetration problem, or just hope it doesn't hurt or kill an innocent person if I had to use it in a defensive situation

I was hoping you folks could give me some advice as to feasible alternatives. I'd greatly appreciate some help. I really like this gun a lot - especially for how it demonstrates that a handgun can be inexpensive and reliable. But I'd like it to be reliable with ethical defensive ammunition, as well...

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  2. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

I'm sorry you're having that problem. I have a JHP but have never tried shooting hollow-point. I did have nosediving issues with both of my JCP 40's when they were new. This was with FMJ rounds. Found that I needed to spread the rabbit ear mag lips which cured the problem. Also, you might smooth out the front interior wall of the mag using steel wool or fine grit sandpaper. The lips of the hollow point bullets could be dragging on that surface causing them to sit nose-low in the magazine.

3. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

1st: For NOW, use Expanding FMJs or the Power Balls.

2nd: I'd check and see where on the feed ramp the hollow point bullet is striking, when it comes out of the magazine. It might be hitting a burr. Get a Magic Marker, Dry Erase Marker (something) and mark the feed ramp, cycle (by hand) a few of your hollow point bullets through it. Examine where the feed ramp is marked, look for a burr or imperfection in that spot. Then, I'd polish the WHOLE feed ramp and chamber with a Dremel Tool and polishing wheel.

3rd: Try different magazines. Does it ALWAYS jam (Fail to Feed) in the same magazine? Tweak the magazine "lips" and see if you can get the follower (the orange thing in the magazine) to push up the rounds, slightly...and I mean slightly. Most jams or malfunctions are caused by the magazines.

4th: Return it to the factory, explain whats happening, include pics (if you can) and go from there.

5th: Let us know if any of this worked and whats going on.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  4. talon

talon the banned wagon

It just needs some break-in. My C9 was the same way. After 200 or so rounds of FMJ everything was seated and ready and now hollow points are no problem. Just shoot it awhile with FMJ rounds and it'll get itself all sorted out.

Do NOT cycle live rounds in a HiPoint. Its not a smart thing to do.

5. thundercroozer

thundercroozer Supporting Member

What ever else you may try, follow this advice..

6. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I've had good results with Hornady XTP that I loaded, but that was 9 mm.

I've got 17 HP guns, I polished one feed ramp...none of the others are polished, they all run fine.

After 700 rounds, I'd figure break in was good.

My guess is, if you widen the front (or all ) of the rear mag lips just a touch, things might work better. Hard to say for sure without seeing them.

7. I started with the same problem. I hand loaded my own Hollow Points using 45 CAL .451 185 GR HP XTP® and the problem went away. The ojive and OAL of the 185 was perfect. 200 grain would hang up. Later I grabbed some commercial 200 grain HP (good quality) and it happened again. So I took it down and used 120 grit to carefully buff at the feed ramp and clean off the mag, then l used a Dremmel with buffing compound and made a nice, polished finish. The commercial and hand loads all run as smooth as silk now. Work within your limitations but don't be afraid to get professional help.

8. missiledefender

Theres nothing wrong with a HP that will cause a hand cycled live round to detonate. I'm not saying to hand cycle the rounds outside your local school. AT the range or anywhere that is safe, with your hands and face away from the barrel.

9. missiledefender

Theres nothing wrong with a HP that will cause a hand cycled live round to detonate. I'm not saying to hand cycle the rounds outside your local school. AT the range or anywhere that is safe, with your hands and face away from the barrel.

10. missiledefender

11. talon

talon the banned wagon

Then why not just fire it?

12. missiledefender

Because, youre just looking to see where the round is hanging up on the magazine or on the feed ramp. This person has problem with HP Bullets and not FMJ. HPs "bite" into feed ramps or mag bodies when the FMJs wont. I'd recommend "dummy/training" rounds but they dont make them in a "hollow point" configuration and I dont know if this person reloads and can make some themselves.

So, best bet: hand cycling