My latest project

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by tallbump, Feb 14, 2016.

1. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

So, I got tired of my rifles not standing right in my safe. Between the scopes making them not fit in the foam holders, and the shelf being in the way of the shotgun, it was driving me crazy.

I racked my brain for a while to come up with something and finally settled with just a basic wood something. I don't know what to call it.

Made a quick run to Home Depot for a board. I saw this one and had to have it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made a few cuts and got this

[​IMG]

A little drilling

[​IMG]

Some cutting and sanding

[​IMG]

And I have this

[​IMG]

Works perfect and was less than $5.
    It does limit me to 6 rifles, but that works for me

It's just the right height for all of them and far enough out for scopes and the shotgun barrel to clear the shelf. You can't see it in the pic, but there's enough room for the pistol grip on the M&P, too

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    What safe was that? My 14 gun Stack-On came with longer rests to install in the slots for scoped rifles. The shotguns go on the sides, no shelf in the way so the longer barrels aren't an issue.

But your idea is good. I like it. Your next thing will be to cut another that lets you properly stack double the guns in alternating up or down barrel orientations.

3. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
  4. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

I think it is a 10 gun??? It has the foam on the back for 6, plus 2 on each side. But they are all the same size. I had the shotgun on the side but since they were all the same depth (the rests), it still didn't solve the scope problem or the issue with the pistol grip on the M&P.

5. I bought a 30 gun safe a few months ago. My LGS said basically figure on getting 20 (2/3 of what the safe is rated for) into the safe. You can get 30 but it'll be crowded and you'll have to worry about bumping and scraping rifles together as you put them in and out of the safe. At any rate I figure I've got plenty of safe to fill, for now...

6. lsi1

lsi1 Member

look good Tall.

I have a cannon 24 gun glorified locker and the barrel rests are so shallow they might as well not even be cut in to the plywood.

7. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY