Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My letter to Springfield Armory about the Springfield Hellion Bullpup.
"Dear Jared Eaton or Production team member,

My name is FXXX GXXXXX.
I am an expert in firearms of all types and own many.
I very recently bought a Hellion and love it! Can't wait to get a .300BO version someday.
I Threw on a 1-4x24 Vortex Ranger from my collection of optics. Wish I had a Nightforce. I will someday.

I went to the Range and ran zeros out to 300 yds.
No sweat for the optic.
Then I started over to zero the irons.

On page 40 "last paragraph" of the Hellion operation and safety manual it states
"The front sight is adjusted by turning the sight knob. Clockwise rotation raises the bullet
impact and counter rotation lowers the impact (Figure 40-3). Each 1/4 turn of the sight
post moves the bullet impact 2” at 100 yards."
On the front sight it says "UP" and there is an arrow directing a clockwise rotation.
I read the manual and it says
"Clockwise rotation raises the bullet
impact and counter rotation lowers the impact"
I followed these directions to raise the impact and my sub MOA groups started getting lower until they dropped below the target.

So, I went the other way. I went counterclockwise and brought my groups up and into the bullseye.

The up rotation "arrow" clockwise raises the front sight post up, not the impact.
It lowers the impact.

Semper Fi!
Very Respectfully,
FXXX GXXXXX Gunnery Sergeant USMC
Number, Address
Gilbert AZ 85296
Ph:XXX-XXX-XXXX"

Thoughts?

·
Resident PITA
16,234 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,140 Posts
So I shouldn't have said that?
Didn't mean to toot my own horn
Read the recent thread about the guy who's C9 has misfeeds and stove pipes. He's trying to flex his expertise. I am in no way implying you are on the same level as that guy, just using it to illustrate the irrelevance and pretentiousness of name dropping and touting one's expertise when the internet is involved. Some situations call for those kind of personal details, others do not. This situation, probably didn't warrant them but hindsight is always 20/20. Having said all that, I would have done the same thing. 😆

As to the problem that spawned it. I would be irritated as shit that it was backwards and probably would have called CS and verified whether or not my shit was installed properly and if they knew about the discrepancy. Everybody knows up is down and right is left when sighting in...

Reactions: Gunny G

·
Resident PITA
16,234 Posts
So I shouldn't have said that?
Didn't mean to toot my own horn
They're going to read it and think, "Oh look. The expert figured it out."

Do you honestly think you're the first one who thought they needed it brought to their attention? Send it. I'm sure they need the laugh.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you honestly think you're the first one who thought they needed it brought to their attention?
Yep,
I think I’m the first one that took the time to do it.
it’s fairly new to the market.
Funny how all the people that got free samples to write reviews never mention it.
Oh that’s right! They all had high dollar NightForce scopes.
Inch above the bore irons should come with some splainin and data.

I ran the ballistics numbers myself and zeroed the irons until I had Bullseyes at different ranges 3 holes touching.
If they don’t want customer input, screw em.
If they don’t at least reply in some fashion I’ll never buy another Springfield product ever again.

“Customer Service is as important as the Product that you sell”

·
Resident PITA
16,234 Posts
Yep,
I think I’m the first one that took the time to do it.
it’s fairly new to the market.
It's an error in the manual, right? They probably realized it the day after it was printed. Unfortunately it's not economically viable to reprint a million or so manuals because of one boo boo.

If they don’t at least reply in some fashion I’ll never buy another Springfield product ever again.
Until the next great deal or you find something you can't live without.

·
Premium Member
36,847 Posts
Is the Hellion using a completely different front sight? Is it left hand threaded or something?

Honestly trying to see how this is working.

And I looked it up, and I now see what’s going on. You turn a collar on the post, not the post. So it looks like it would do what you said.

I wonder if they confused which thing was being described, in translation? Like….does the Croat version get it right?
Looked that up too…they use completely different irons.

Sounds like a S&W issue.

·
Super Moderator
26,140 Posts
Is the Hellion using a completely different front sight? Is it left hand threaded or something?

Honestly trying to see how this is working.

And I looked it up, and I now see what’s going on. You turn a collar on the post, not the post. So it looks like it would do what you said.

I wonder if they confused which thing was being described, in translation? Like….does the Croat version get it right?
Looked that up too…they use completely different irons.
Check it out. Floating screw post system. They would need left hand threads to make it work properly. It's still FORS, but clockwise raises the post because the nut is captured.

Automotive design Carbon Trigger Bicycle part Auto part

Reactions: Gunny G and ajole

·
Premium Member
36,847 Posts
Or they could change their documentation and the label on the sight.🤣

Yeah, I was NOT getting my head wrapped around that until I looked up some pics.

Seems like an extremely exposed adjustment that shouldn’t be adjusted once zeroed, as the ranging is done on the rear.

·
Super Moderator
26,140 Posts
That's what makes it even more funny, because whoever proofread the directions didn't know how their own front sights worked... because technically the arrow is correct. The post is going to go up if you rotate the dial that way...😆

Camera accessory Gadget Gas Automotive tire Auto part

Reactions: Rerun and Gunny G

·
Super Moderator
26,140 Posts
I stand corrected... I just checked the online manual...

Hey @Gunny G ? Take a picture of your manual, please, because the online manual is correct....
Font Screenshot Document Brand Rectangle

Head Mouth Rectangle Human body Slope

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I stand corrected... I just checked the online manual...

Hey @Gunny G ? Take a picture of your manual, please, because the online manual is correct....
View attachment 76386
View attachment 76385
I should have posted pictures earlier. It is confusing.
Where'd you see that manual?
Mine says the same as this the online manual I am posting here.
Font Organism Parallel Rectangle Screenshot

Pg 40

See the link to Springfield? That's where I looked and my paper manual is the same.
These manuals say that if you follow the instructions and the arrow the bullet impact will go up but it goes down.
The front sight goes up, not the impact.

On a positive note: The clicks are firm and sure and once set aren't going to move.
You can max the clicks up and down and there is a positive stop and the post does NOT fall out. I tried.
I do like how the front sight post has a shield ring protector.
I Like the gun. Just not the manual :D

Audio equipment Gadget Camera accessory Font Cable

If you follow the arrow and turn in a clockwise direction the front sight post comes up. The bullet impact goes down.
"The manual states that if you follow that procedure the bullet impact comes up which is wrong."

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am going to verify if each click moves the bullet impact 2" at a hundred yards. I don't think this is correct either but, I need proof.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Seems like an extremely exposed adjustment that shouldn’t be adjusted once zeroed, as the ranging is done on the rear.
Agreed. Once the front sight is set you should never have to adjust it again.
If they just explained it correctly in the manual, that would solve my issue.

·
Super Moderator
26,140 Posts
@Gunny G ,I got that manual directly from Springfield Armory.com where I got the pictures of the Hellion.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts