My LGS knows me too well....

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by ajole, Mar 2, 2016.

1. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Walked into the little tiny LGS with 12 feet of glass topped counter and 15 feet of wall rack today during lunch.

He gets REALLY excited and tells his son, "Hey grab that Mossberg, this guy wants it."

Tells me, "I'll give it to you at cost; about $180."

I haven't even shut the door yet, and here comes the son with a new brown camo Mossberg Blaze .22 rifle with a 25 round curved mag that looks like a skinny AK mag with slots down both sides, a picatinny rail, no rear sights, and a front swivel stud that spins around. Under 4 lbs, clamshell stock, tang safety...and I'm thinking what the heck is going on here?:confused:

Anyway...I didn't take it home. But its interesting!:D

Nothing on it looks like it will match any other Mossberg for parts, but that mag is neat. The slots allow for a "helper" button at the base of the follower to stick out both sides, making loading easy, and the whole thing is screwed together so you can clean it easier...which is good considering it is WIDE open, the slots are about 1/2 inch wide.

The tang safety was neat as well. Felt good, solid but silent click into place.

I guess they make a variation that looks a LOT like an AK, including forward mounted sights.

Turns out the guy had to buy it to qualify to buy a few bricks of .22, so he's looking to get rid of it, and NO ONE wants it, it just feels light and cheesy.:p

I'll give him a few more weeks, and see if he really wants to get rid of it...might work a deal to include some other nice stuff. He has some pretty nice AR's, including some interesting AR pistols, a Marlin 39A, and some nice parts for ARs and AKs. We'll see.;)

2. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    'Holey ALWAYS Gets His Man... errm, Mossy :D

3. I have seen them all over the internet for sale. Nothing in person. But mossberg doesn't have a stellar reputation in new 22LR semi auto. I dont know why they dont just get hi-cap mags for the plinkster. I would buy one though for the right price. I still don't own a semi-auto 22lr

4. OkSlim

OkSlim Member

I think there is a line in the 2nd Amendment about every home in the US is required to own a Ruger 10/22

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    It's ok, I own enough to cover for a few households, both 10/22 or otherwise.;)

6. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

There was a cool looking Ruger Mini14 .22 10/22 at the local Walmart today. Just got a S&W 15-22 haven't taken it to the range yet.

7. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Yep. That's the one!
    They have a polymer receiver too. Barrel and bolt, firing pin and trigger are metal, and a few other bits. No telling how long they'll last.

[​IMG]

Here's the Blaze 47. All black or wood colored polymer. Banned in Canada despite being identical to the other model, with just a different stock.

[​IMG]

8. Liberty

Liberty Shhh! Lifetime Supporter

Pistol grip - what idiots.

9. Kiln

Kiln Member

The blaze .22 looks cool but feels sooooo cheap. I held one at Academy Sports and wasn't impressed. I think I'd go with the Marlin and as bad as I hate to say it, a couple of Promags. Surprisingly I've heard almost exclusively good about the hi cap Promags on the 795.

10. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    My issue with it isn't the cheap feel, or even the fact that you have to take out 16 screws to get inside the gun.

I just don't know WHY anyone would pay $180 for a polymer receiver, when the Marlin and Savage steel guns are the same price, or less.

Even worse, the Mossberg steel receiver, the 702, is a LOT less, and still plenty light, and plenty accurate.

I guess last year some sales had them at about $100, and that makes sense.

Also, they make a youth sized stock, and it's light...but again, if I want a kids gun, for less money, I can get the steel receiver bolt action Rascal with accutrigger.

The only really nice thing I can see about these is the magazine, they seem to be great.

11. Eh, I'll stick with my "pre-mAss ban" Armi Jaeger AK-22. ;)

12. does that mean your going to send my one per household? I'll go ahead and get you my FFL.

I love a nice auto-22LR. But guns always take a back seat in the winter to buying wood. The cost of an suto 22LR right now even used is more than a cord of wood. Or heat for a month. :cool: I really wish the auto prices would start to drop like AR's. AR's went from $750 to $480 in two years, and 22LR have gone from $125 to $220?

13. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Ooooo... I would love to shoot that thing. With my AK.

14. Kiln

Kiln Member

I've got a plinkster and so does my younger brother. I'm about 95% sure the receiver is zamak. I do agree with your assessment though, the 702 is an excellent gun. It's too bad the only hi cap mags for them are oversized and look stupid.

15. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

My S&W15-22 has a polymer upper and lower.

16. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

Getting confused, I thought the plinkster was a good gun, and they have one with 25 rounds.

17. Kiln

Kiln Member

They are great guns. The receiver is zinc casting but mine has survived 10,000+ rounds fine. Marlin also uses zinc receivers. The receiver is a very low stress part and with .22lr it can last forever.

The 25 round mags exist for it but are AR pattern mags that are about 3x the size they need to be.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  18. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I have 3 marlin 795 promags, flawless... :eek:

But it is 10X the quality of the Mossberg 715T, I actually could not tell
    the M&P15 was a poly. The MBerg 715T is really just "plastic" toy grade...
    CHEAP Toy Grade, from what I could tell. :(

19. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

I love 22s, but I don't care for the looks of that Blazer. I don't care for the 715 tactical did, looks and feels cheap.

I would love to check out that AK though. An AK chamber in 22 is on my wish list