My new 4095...normal wear?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by sprat38, Feb 28, 2016.

1. sprat38

sprat38 Member

FLA
    Hi all...picked up a new 4095, my first HP carbine, and could not be more pleased with my choice, what a fun gun. Please refer to the pic of the breech block (or whatever that part/portion may be called)...those striations are pretty deep, not just surface scratches...does not seem like normal wear to me??? I have fired about 300 rounds through her, mostly Blazer Brass 180gr. Also, the ejected brass casings are deformed/flattened a bit at the bullet end. What do ya think, folks? 021.jpg

2. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Keep shooting it. It happens on some of them I wouldn't worry about it.

fatal-bert33 likes this.

3. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    :welcome:sprat38!!!

I see you've met our "Resident Expert", Mr. Moona(z) :D

He knows whencest he speaks! ;)

fatal-bert33 likes this.
  4. sprat38

sprat38 Member

FLA
    I sure do feel better...what might be the cause? Common to the 40 caliber only? Appreciate the welcome and reply.

5. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

These are not finely tuned precision instruments.
    Not all of them do it but we've seen it before.
    I wouldn't worry about it.
    But then again I don't have a carbine...
    Welcome to the forum.

6. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Welcome to the forum!

7. cruiser

cruiser Member

If you have not taken it apart to clean & lube yet I would. Made a difference in mine.

8. histed

histed Supporting Member

welcome to the jungle
    [​IMG]
    where moles are called Mike, Liberals support the 2A, and bulldogs rock!

9. sprat38

sprat38 Member

FLA
    Thanks guys. I will make time in the near future to break my 4095 down for a look see and do some light lubrication where need be. There is a video out there where someone does breakdown the 4095 and will review it before I proceed. I have been lurking here for a while and I do appreciate the help. What a cool little carbine.

10. Hipointer

Hipointer Member

Hello and welcome from Indiana! :)

11. ndindy

ndindy Member

Yep, these are petty crude weapons. Not quite rock tied to a stick for a hammer crude but not $100k laser scalpels either.

As long as the damage is cosmetic, no real worries. I can't tell from the pic how deep the damage is or if it looks like scraping (lube will help) or impact (lube won't help). If it's impact it might go through a delicate process that many mechanics refer to as 'self clearancing' :laugh:

12. sprat38

sprat38 Member

FLA
    thanks ndindy. I will break it down and take a look.

13. sprat38

sprat38 Member

FLA
    broke my 4095 down...more pics

I know and understand that tolerances are loose, but this is a brand new carbine with only about 300 rounds thru it. I know that Hi Point has a great return policy. And, what a fun gun...but will it hold up? I took pics and have posted these 3, looks like more concerns regarding the breech face?? to the left of the firing pin hole. I'm gonna stick with the 4095 but may contact Hi Point. Geez, I feel like a real whiner.

Attached Files:

• 022.JPG
      022.JPG
      File size:
      63.7 KB
      Views:
    • 028.JPG
      028.JPG
      File size:
      80.9 KB
      Views:
    • 039.JPG
      039.JPG
      File size:
      60.9 KB
      Views:
  14. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Looks like a crack. What ammo are you using.
    I would call mom and send it in. It happens

RCS likes this.
  15. sprat38

sprat38 Member

FLA
    Mostly Blazer Brass 180grain. I am getting away from the 180gr bullets and trying to fire up what I have stocked up. There is info out there warning to avoid 180gr loads due to pressure concerns. Maybe there is something to that. In respect to a "crack", is there actually a seam already there as in a pressed in portion of the breech, or is that portion supposedly "solid" steel??

16. ratchowmein

ratchowmein Member

It was a poor casting. The steel inserts are supposed to have a little more meat around the shoulders lol.
    See if you can get a shipping label out of HPHQ because it's defective out of the box, if not send it back and they'll send you a magazine for the price of what you're paying in shipping.
    You need more magazines anyway, right?
    Why do you think HP uses so much paint on the guns?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  17. ratchowmein

ratchowmein Member

The bolt on the left side is a newer model, the one on the right side is an older version . But you can see the portion that you're missing. Not too bad.

Attached Files:

18. ratchowmein

ratchowmein Member

Truthfully, it would probably go for thousands of rounds.

19. sprat38

sprat38 Member

FLA
    Thanks Ratchowmein. I appreciate the pic and your evaluation. Good folks, good site. Gonna contact HP and hope to be back on the range in a few weeks.

20. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Good catch ratchowmein.
    Sprat, make sure to let us know how things work out.