My new favorite range pistol!

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Dagwood, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

I got a new HP. Well, kinda.

It's an ATI Hp9. Made by Tisas and Imported by American Tactical.
    It's a Berreta/High Power clone.

The machining and fit and finish on this pistol are very good.
    It's an alloy frame and is a true SA/DA. The trigger is amazing!
    The reset is very short.

The front sight is a fixed blade and the rear sight is non adjustable,although it is dove tailed so It could be replaced with a nicer adjustable Hi Viz rear sight if you wanted. I probably will replace it because it shoots low as is.

Once you figure out where to aim, it is a great shooter. Almost no felt recoil making follow up shots a breeze.

The mag is proprietary and holds 18 rds. Beretta mags are very close, but the cut out for the mag catch is in the wrong place (easily remedied with a dremel tool i'm sure).

The safety/de-cocker is built in to the slide similar to the Beretta. The guide rod is stainless steel. The barrel is locking breechblock and removable like the Glock style pistols.

All in all, I am really liking this pistol. The price is nice and the full size double stack frame fits my big mitts just fine.

Attached Files:

2. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    That DOES look a lot like my classic Hi Power, but with a couple of
    improvements. Is the slide release easy to reach? It looks longer.
    You said it is 18 rounds, a stock Hi Power original mag is only 13, Big Boost!
    The "hollow follower" mags hold 15, which is quite acceptable, but 18 would
    be perfect, :D for a mag that does not hang out of the grip. I have a 20 round
    BHP mag, but it sticks out a good bit.

Nice Handgun! Can I ask "how much"? ;)

3. Dagwood

The slide release is very easy to reach. Takedown is too easy. It's just like my Xdm. The mag does stick out of the grip about a 1/2 inch. It is a plus 2 extension.

The Beretta mags are 15 rds I think, and they would fit flush. I haven't tried one yet, just a dry fit at the lgs.

The one thing that I really don't care for about this pistol is the grips. They are slick plastic. Actually just like the grips on the Hp's. It is really just an aesthetic thing for me, easily remedied by the Handall grip sleeve.

4. I'm seeing them used at many places for $267. Haven't found a new one yet.

5. Dagwood

You won't. They aren't offering this model anymore.

I should have specified, it is "new" to me. I bought it at a lgs in lnib condition.

I paid a bit more than 267.00. Maybe I got taken, but I liked it as soon as I saw it.

One of the things that caught my eye right away was the reverse bi-tone finish. The frame is chrome and the slide is black.

Anyway, i'm glad I bought it. I've put over 300 rds thru it and not one issue. If you found used ones in that price range, you might think about picking one up.

Fun fun fun!

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Maybe it's sighted Military Center Hold instead of the more traditional Bullseye. This very thing bit me in the butt with my new R1.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

7. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Link Please :D (to the resolution)
    I have one shooting low, right now, too!
    Great gun, just shoots LOW

S&W 457

Not shooting "Low Right", just LOW

8. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I thought that I had written about it earlier here but maybe not. The smith I took it too is also a Certified Handgun Instructor. He put it through its paces then reported to me that it has what he described as a military sight picture instead of a bullseye sight picture. In traditional shooting, you align the sights at the bottom edge of the bullseye and the rounds go in the middle of the bullseye, just at the top edge of your sights.

Apparently, military center hold sight alignment has the rounds going in at the center of your front site (or front sight dot) which would mean that it shoots low if you're shooting it with the traditional bullseye sight picture.

I've never shot anything but the sight picture on the left. Apparently the center picture is the "classic" standard for GI 1911's.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Attached Files:

9. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    That center one is the only sight picture that I use. The only time that I ever used the one on the left was for my Mosin Nagant at 100 yards.

10. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Here's a better post, swiped from another forum, of course. :)

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=552960#5

This accurately reflects the advice that the Instructor related to me.

I was also advised by someone far more familiar with the 1911 platform that I shouldn't two-hand grip it. It was, apparently, intended and designed as a one handed cavalry handgun and shooting it two-handed mucks up the dynamics.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Attached Files:

11. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    The sight picture in picture B is the one that works well out to 25 yards for me. Maybe the one in picture C works for certain pistols, but the Glocks and my 1911 all work best with the other. The problem with the one in picture C is that it covers up what you are shooting at, robbing you of precision.

As far as shooting the 1911 goes, the idea that it must be shot one-handed would have to be premised on the idea that the muzzle should rise a certain amount before the bullet exits the muzzle. I don't buy that. There are too many variables that could affect how much the muzzle could rise before the bullet exits the muzzle, so it would cause to much inconsistency in elevation.

That's why I throw the flag at the idea that you shouldn't use a rest to test point of impact with a 1911.

12. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Yes, I agree. I've seen it presented that, though robbed of precision, you can get quicker "combat hits." As a personal matter, I'm not that invested one way or the other. :)

I'm not enough a 1911 guy to argue with any expertise one way or the other on the subject. Merely repeating what I have been told and only as that which I have been told.

I just had someone else shoot it. :)

Here's another article on the subject:
    http://pistol-training.com/archives/1361

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

13. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

With my 22/45, I was shooting low left like crazy with the suppressor on it.
    Was finally able to figure out where I needed to hold by using a bit of double vision to my advantage. I was able to see down the length of the pistol and aligned it with the bullseye on the target; majority of the time I hit in the black

14. Dagwood

I generally use C.

15. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

The funny thing is, that is NOT what most of the period 1911 military pistol manuals indicate. They almost always indicated a sight picture of "A." Rifle manuals too, for that matter.

From FM 23-35, PISTOLS AND REVOLVERS, July 1960, pp54, in the section illustrating the 1911A1:

e. The instructor describes a correct sight picture, showing
    an illustration to each man (fig. 33). He explains that the front
    sight is seen through the center of the rear sight in such a man-
    ner that its top is level with the top of the rear sight and just
    touches the bottom of the bull's-eye. All of the bull's-eye can
    be seen.​

This is the sight picture that I have almost always used, the noted exception being my Milsurp CZ52 which I have to use a high-hold version of "C" where I nearly have to align the sights with the top edge of the bull. (still my favorite range pistol)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  16. I have looked at Tisas pistols before, especially their 1911 models. I almost bought one until I saw the IDIOT LABEL. Does your Tisas have the idiot warning stamped into it?