Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
**Mods, if this is the wrong forum, please move it to the right place**

note: the C9 was my first pistol and it have a very special in my heart. and i'll never get rid of it.

This is my review of the Smith & Wesson Sigma .40sw. :devilsidesmile:

I was looking for ammo online and i saw a picture of a sigma, after following the link it lead me to a forum (i cant remember the name) where they were had a few picture and different models, (fullsize, , blue, stainless & allied force) it catches my eye because i wasn't looking for any other handgun, but this one looked sexy, :-[ after a few research the only complain that i have found is people talking about the heavy trigger pull which i will talk later.

Some people said (forum posts) that the early version used to jam once in a while, but after the new version was release all those bugs were fixed. I have no experience with any SW handgun but people love their revolvers & semi autos in general so this was a new adventure for me (something nice to get in the future). last week i called my local dealer to find out the asking price for a new sigma and to see if they had any model in display so i can try them, quest what ^-^, the guy was aking $400 OTD and didn't have any in stock, so i call another dealer, this one was asking 380+tax and didn't have one in stock but try to sell me a $519 glock 17 :angel:, enough with the shopping around :D

This monday i finally found a good deal online, $299 shipped, so i jump on it, it arrived yesterday, but i didn't have the time to do a review:p, the sigma does look a lot like glock, i didn't have the time to shoot it today but i'll go to the range tomorrow, i hope it looks as well as it looks, it come with a 3 dot sight, stainless steel slide and barrel, 2 14-rounds stainless magazines, lock, manual, 2 empty case...:confused: in a yellow envelope. The grip angle work just for me and i find it a little more confortable than my glock-17.

Time to talk about the trigger. As many of you know or have read, it's heavy... but this is the good part, my glock come with a 5.5lb trigger pull and this sigma come with a 7.5lb trigger pull just 2lb over the glock, nothing to worry about, in fact i find it helpful because with the little extra weight in the trigger pull, i have more confidence in it to carry one in the chamber than my glock now, this is not a 'shoot all day range pistol" but more of a CCW, in the end this pistol was build to be a concealed weapon and not a range toy, let the glock and 1911 to the all day shooting at the range ;). after all, one is heavy and the other is big for CCW (but i can tell you they both work great for CCW ^-^

overall, for $299.00 OTD i'm very happy with the fit & finish of the SW Sigma .40sw and the trigger is perfect for a CCW pistol without external safety ^-^, plus who cares about a trigger pull in a life or death situation :evil: (i dont).

i would like to hear your comments...

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I had both the 40 S&W and the 9mm models. I used them as range pistols. My only complaint was the long trigger travel and very heavy trigger pull. Which a trip to S&W solved. Were definitely great guns for the money. Mine were early models. But I didn't experience any problems.

I liked the feel and Ambi features of the newer M&P's better so I traded the Sigma's. But for about $300 more for the pair of M&P's they should be nicer.

Walt

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A couple of things I found 'bout the Sigma that drive folks nuts?
1. I have no problem with the trigger
2. I actually think it looks better than a Glock (or M&P)
3. While I'm sure the M&P has improvements, it looks like a "gussied up Sigma" to me (not that there's anything wrong with that )

I do get a kick outta folks obsessing over the trigger (think a lot of 'em are noobs that want a 1/2 pound trigger). I also get a kick outta folks obsessing over "correct" sighting procedure. I've talked to a few folks (and read of a lot) who where involved in shootings and it ended up being point and shoot!

·
Registered
367 Posts
good to know my GS has a SW sigma in 40sw for 320 I keep thinking about. This is why I shop there and only there, when I got my 995TS he handed it to me to check out and said "your not gona like it, your used to shooting quality stuff" "what like that hi point I just got?" as I pointed over to the box... "yep like that hi point". gawd awful trigger on it buuut... I do wana cheaper gun to have as a truck gun and I'd like to have something in 40SW so I'd kill two birds with one stone, plus I mean it's a smith... how bad can it be? I read alot of good things about em, other then the triggers...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Nice looking piece. I have the same thing. It is the only pistol I have so I guess I don't have much comparison but I do like it very much. I have found the trigger pull to cause a bit of a problem for me. Definitely shooting low and right because of it. Also I find the pull to be pretty rough. I know it does loosen up after a lot of shooting but sadly I don't have anywhere to shoot it much. I found out if you call up Frank (texas warrenty number on the back of your instructions) he will give you the info to send in your gun and he'll smooth the trigger out and lighten it up some for you. All work and shipping is covered by S&W. I've probably only shot about 200 rounds through it but not a sign of jamming or other issues. I'm very happy with my purchase.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i shot it this thrusday and all i can say is WOW..., the first round ever with this gun was a silhouette bullseye, followed by the second shot right next to it followed by the other 12 rounds all in the big hole with slow aimed fire.

once i finish that mag, i loaded the other and bang...bang..bang....all 14 rounds shots at center mass very very fast, the good thing is that i didn't have any kind of failure, then i tried some double taps to the top followed by 3 shots to center mass of the silhouette, after all 100 rounds i was very happy with the reliability and accuracy of the pistol. i know i'm only at the 100 rounds mark but there 100 rounds were trouble free.

after that i shot the glock 17 and fairly new 1911 without any problems, and the trigger felt soooo light

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Glad you like it. So since you have now shot it. How do you personally think it compares to a Glock? Taking into account the low price of the 40 Sigma. and the Glock 17 is 9mm.

BTW,

Yes, The M&P is a gussied up Sigma with lefty features and shoots just as well. It was S&W's second attempt to make a better glock for lefty's.

Also, S&W reworked Sigma trigger is almost identical to an M&P at a nice 6-6.5# pull and had a very consistent break. My early Sigma's were just over 10#'s and had an inconsistent break.

Walt

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Glad you like it. So since you have now shot it. How do you personally think it compares to a Glock? Taking into account the low price of the 40 Sigma. and the Glock 17 is 9mm.

BTW,

Yes, The M&P is a gussied up Sigma with lefty features and shoots just as well. It was S&W's second attempt to make a better glock for lefty's.

Also, S&W reworked Sigma trigger is almost identical to an M&P at a nice 6-6.5# pull and had a very consistent break. My early Sigma's were just over 10#'s and had an inconsistent break.

Walt
lets start by saying that the glock 17 is overall a little bigger but the sigma about the same as a glock 19/23, so let me do a side-by-side with the glock-17

Sigma SW40VE
Caliber: .40sw
Capacity: 14+1 (but i can put 15+1 without problem)
Barrel Length: 4"
Overall Length: 7.25"
Magazine: 2 14-rds
Weight Empty: 24.4 oz.
Trigger Pull: 7.5 lb (what my trigger shows)
Price: $299.00 New (what i paid for it)

Glock 17
Caliber: 9mm
Capacity: 17 (Optional: 19rd/30rd)
Barrel Lenght: 4.5''
Overall Lenght: 7.32''
Magazine: 2 17-rds
Weight Empty: 22.4 oz.
Trigger Pull: 5.5 lb
Price: $489.00 (what i paid for it)

now that i own both, i can tell that the sigma is a better choice because is $190 cheaper, so you can buy 2 extra mags, a holster, and a few boxes of ammo and still have money to pay for the range fee. ^-^

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.