Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my 995 that I've done a few mods on. I still have several I want to do. Let me know what you think. 8)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a completely new receiver cover I made from a piece of 2"x2" 7075 Aluminum. I did it on a manual Bridgeport mill. I also moved the charging handle from the left side of the receiver to the right. I made the new charging handle and bolt a couple months ago and was using it before. I changed my design on the charging handle bolt a little to ensure that it will not slide over while firing. I also changed the hex head bolts over to a new design that lets me use the button head allens screws and takes out all the excess movement in the bolt/barrel assembly to the stock and lines everything up and keeps it there so that I have no problems with my magazine alignment. The finish on it right now is just sanded and rubbed with scotchbrite. I could either buff it out to look like chrome or have it black anodized like the charging handle. I also made the rail so that it raised the height of my red dot to a more natural level for sighting.

If you haven't figure it out yet, I'm a machinist by trade and went in to the shop last Saturday and made most of it and stayed over a couple of nights this week to finish a few minor things. Where I work, the owner is big into custom choppers and we are always making new custom bike parts. He lets us use the equipment after hours to make whatever we want.

Here is more of a closeup of the right side now.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Nice doesn't even come close,........VERY NICE! :cool2:

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Wow!......talk about neat!

I bet if you sold your improved cocking handle and your button bolts the world would beat a path to your door. I have been looking for buttton bolt replacement receiver cover screws for years now. I'm sure they had to be machined. Please consider the possibility. I'll be your first customer.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
There has been much talk through the years about a right-hand bolt, including some good suggestions for doing it. But this is the first time I remember that I've actually _seen_ one.

Congratulations and thanks!

But maybe a downer side: do you yet have a feel for how aluminum is going to hold up against 1) cycling and 2) bolt hold-open?

Keep us posted!

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But maybe a downer side: do you yet have a feel for how aluminum is going to hold up against 1) cycling and 2) bolt hold-open?

Keep us posted!
I will keep you posted. I don't think it's going to be a problem.

1) As far as cycling, nothing ever touches the cover as the bolt is cycling.The charging handle can't ride against the side of the receiver the way the factory one can. That is why originally I believe the handle was on the left side. Ease of manufacture and cost.

2) The bolt hold open area of the receiver on mine is approximately 3/16" thick on the upper side. The lower side on mine is only 1/16" but could also be made to be left the same 3/16" thick.

Also if I have it hard anodized, it will also increase it's wearability.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hell I want one to. That looks so much better than stock. Great job. While your at it make me a full lenght rail for the ATI stock like Bushman was making Im in the market for that to.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would like to have the reciever cover, the charging knob and the button bolts. However if I had to pick two it would be the button bolts and the charging knob. I would pay 20 to 25 for the knob and maybe 10 or so for the button bolts as they are stock parts.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts