My operating bolt just snapped :(

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Glennfrank, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    Hi all,
    Just got the Hipoint 995 yesterday and was really looking forward to taking it to the range Saturday.
    Screwed in the operating bolt last night & checked the action with a few snapcaps. Everything worked fine except the operating bolt "ball" (the thing that slides over the bolt)was wobbly.
    So today, I figure I'd take a look at it & see if I could figure out why.
    So the first thing I think to do is wrap some tape around the bolt & then slide it over but that's too easy. :(
    I then thought that maybe the bolt wasn't in all the way. So I tighten.. and snap. The top of the bolt falls out with barely any thread on it - the rest is stuck in the threads.:oops:

Anyone have any idea what I can do other than send the whole gun to hipoint? :cry:

2. minidriver

minidriver Member

Bolt extractor,, commonly known as an Easy-out, drill a hole in the remainder of the bolt, twist in the easy out. Put an adjustable wrench on the end of the wasy out and carefully try to remove it. Might have to tap the easy-out into the hole and then try twisting out again. Just keep in mind that easy-outs are very brittle and snap easily if overly torqued or torqued at an angle. If all else fails,, remove the entire bolt assembly and visit a nearby machine shop.

3. Well, you can attempt to remove the piece of bolt in the with an easy out or a left handed drill or a bolt removing bit. That is if HiPoint will send you a replacement bolt.

Probably best you send it in.

4. minidriver

minidriver Member

Awwww, whatever happened to self reliance???

just kidding,,, sending it in is probably the best bet. I spent a former lifetime as a wrench turner in a shop. I can truly say I can not count the number of broken fasteners I have removed. Almost second nature to me,,, but I still swear like a sailor everytime I bust a bolt or screw.

5. jason865

jason865 Guest

I would just use an easy out and back the remaining bolt out of the threads. It really isnt that hard if you take your time.

6. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    Thanks for all the fast responses!

I just feel like such an ass :lol:
    I mean I don't think I was really tightening that hard..

Gonna call the shop where I bought it tomorrow. They have a 10 day mechanical policy on all new guns (which I found out after posting the first time by reading the extra fine print on the reciept), so hopefully they will help. I am reluctant to try the an easyout since I am more mechanically declined than inclined & fear I would just mess it up more.

The end of the operating bolt is sticking out ever so slightly on the opposite side & I did contemplate a dremel/screwdriver fix... but like I said I fear making things worse.

If worse comes to worse and I DO have to send it to Hi-Point.. can anyone tell me what kind of turn-around I might expect? I've heard that they sometimes throw in a magazine "for your troubles" but can't find anything about turn-around.

7. Hopefully you can get it out with no problem. Throw some wd40 on there and have a go with an easy out or making a couple of flats on the sides of the bolt with a dremel or grinder.

btw, that 'ball' on the operating handle is supposed to be loose. The idea is that you can pop it into the round section of the hole in the receiver cover to lock the bolt in the rearward position.

8. That is odd, I do not think I have ever seen a bolt so long that it stuck out on the opposite side of the bolt.

The dremmel screwdriver fix may be possible since there is bolt sticking out, but if you make a mess of it Hi Point will not be happy about it im sure since they have a pretty clear policy of if something happens send it to them.

If it were me, I would see if you could exchange it for another carbine with your dealer, if not call Hi Point and see about sending it in.

Do NOT let your local dealer soak you for UPS fees sending it to the factory, call Hi Point, they have a cheaper way of doing it.

9. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    Thanks again everyone.
    Talked to the dealer today, he told me to bring it on in.
    He called Hi-Point & got them to ship a new bolt.

Gonna drop it off tomorrow morning & hope for the best.
    Said I should have it back by next weekend if he got the bolt. So hopefully I'll be able to go shooting for my birthday :D

He didn't come right out and say it but gave me the impression that if he couldn't fix it he would take care of me. I hope he does, I like the place & would like to continue giving them business.... I DID see a nice little used Taurus 24/7 .45 when I bought the Hi-Point.

If he can't/won't help me I'll send it on in to Hi-Point myself (thanks for the advice waltham41)!

I'll let you all know how this turns out.

10. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    Well the guys at the store were great, they removed the broken bolt while I waited and said I can pick up the new bolt this week.
    They said Hi-point acted like sending a new bolt was no problem and hopefully I will be able to take it shooting with me next weekend!
    My faith in both hi-point and the shop were re-affirmed.

11. panoz77

panoz77 Member

It is supposed to have play so that you can slide it in, it acts as the bolt hold open when you slide inward with the bolt back, you must have really been putting the grunt into tightening that thing.

12. Wow, never heard of a bolt snapping. weird.

13. Glenn,

Beemiller Inc (the company that produces HiPoint firearms) is an outstanding company and stand behind their products 100%. Never ever let any shop, dealer or individual tell you differently and if they do call Beemiller directlly and you will be 100% satisfied with their customer service.

rimfirehunter

14. Ari

Ari Guest

110% they are something.

15. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    I do realized that, but thank you. There was definetly something wrong with the bolt, I wasn't really applying much in the way of pressure when tightening it. Not sure if it was a flaw in the metal or what. Believe me I was surprised when it snapped.

16. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    Just a final update on this, got the replacement bolt in the mail today (turns out the gunshop had it sent to my house instead of the store, which is handy).

Again, my faith in Hi-Point has been re-affirmed.

Edit PS: I forgot to update you all - when I did get the bolt, it was completely different than the original in the box. I called Hi-point to question it & was told that I originally must've received a .40 bolt by mistake & that was why it snapped.