My Other Hobby....

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by squeak_D, Feb 22, 2008.

1. squeak_D

squeak_D Guest

This is one of my other Hobbies aside from shooting and blowing sh!t up :) I'm in the middle of a remodel project on this as I have a new computer to add to it, and some of my other gear is not in the pic as I'm re-arranging my little play corner. Wife gave me an entire room to myself in the basement--I assume so she doesn't get a headache :) Got some model trains in there as well (can't see them in pic though)

I'm saving up for a professional studio table to have my computer, keyboards, and all other equipment within easy reach. Problem is those things are EXPENSIVE. It'll probably run me $300-$500 for the studio furniture. I'll probably go all out and deck a few walls with acoustic insulting foam boards that help with the rooms acoustics, and helps with dead zones. That too is another $400-$600! Music gear isn't cheap :(

[​IMG]

2. Nice dude.......I dabble with the keyboard from time to time......not real proficient with it, but I can get by with a couple things......

3. I just bought a distortion pedal for my Electric guitar, but can't seem to get the damn thing to work... it's brand new, never been opened. I checked the 9 volt battery, and it's got juice. I need to get another cord for it though, only have one. Maybe it takes the 2 cord connection to the guitar, pedal and amp before it'll come on.... I have never owned an electric guitar before, but I've been playing since I was 12.

Nice set up dude, love that 6 string cutaway.

4. squeak_D

squeak_D Guest

You'll need a chord running the guitar to the input of the pedal, and another chord running the output of the pedal to an amp.

Squeak

5. joebob88

joebob88 Guest

I've been playing lead Guitar in the clubs for 17 years and now am retired from the music business other than a few jam sessions. That is a cool setup you have. I also play bass and drums. If I could sing, I could get something like you have and make my own CD's.

6. squeak_D

squeak_D Guest

With all my equipment (many items not show in that photo), I'm able to do my own CD's. In the pic (hard to see), I have a Fostex digital 8 track recorder with a built in cond. microphone. The unit has a USB port that allows me to transfer to desktop for backup, and CD burning.

The keyboard on the top is a Roland RS-70 Synth. Not a bad little synth either. It has an internal 16 midi track sequencer. The unit under that is a Yamaha digital piano, and it's midi'd up to the Roland. I also have recording software on that computer that allows me to do much more indepth work.

I've been playing music now for 27 years total. Did it for a living for several years, and now it's just my hobby. I want some new synths, but a new synth will run $2400.00 (YIKES!)

Squeak

7. Hey squeak_D,

Looks like all you need now is a drummer. 8)

I've played drums since 1987. But I haven't been playing much in the last ten years since I got married. It's always fun to get a few dudes together for a gig once in a while, though.

Next time I get my kit out, I might take some pics of it. It's a Pearl Export series 5-piece kit with twin bass pedals (that I never quite learned to play), Zildjian and Paiste cymbals, and Remo Pinstripe heads on the toms. Man I miss playing that thing sometimes.

wizard93

8. squeak_D

squeak_D Guest

I'm actually going to be buying a new drum kit :) I sold my old one some time ago. I've been using drum machines (one in that pic), and using my synth to create my drum tracks.

I'm looking at a Roland V drum set. They have a new one that's very affordable. It's essentially a baby V-Drum kit for $800

9. That would be a lot of fun. I thought a few times about getting electrics, but never got around to it. Years ago, I played at a church which had the Roland PAD-80 with DW 5000 bass drum trigger, fed through an Alesis D4 interface. I really like the system for its portability and sound quality. I know there's been a lot of newer and better equipment now being made since then.

When you're limited on space, electric drums are hard to "beat". :wink:

wizard93

10. Cool stuff man. I used to have a keyboard (cheaper one) and would love to get another. In fact i was looking just the other day. Also looking for mayebe a learners drum set. Need to just pick one though.

I have 3 guitars at the moment. 1 electric acoustic, 1 reguar acoustic, and a strat. I used to have a les paul body electric. Sunburst....it was sexy. But I had to sell it.

Started playing when I was 13 or so. Still suck. lol.

11. squeak_D

squeak_D Guest

If you're looking to get another keyboard drop me a PM. I used to sell keyboards, guitars, and drums (was a music store manager quite a few years ago). I still stay up to date on all the latest boards, guitars, and drums. I'd be more than happy to help with a few suggestions based on where your skill level is and what you plan to do with the keyboard in terms of use (be it for personal or prof.)

The keyboards I have in the pic aren't too expensive. The top one was a $1000 synth, but I got lucky and got it on closeout for $629, and I paid several hundred bucks for the digital piano underneath it. They're not the most expensive ones I've owned as I've paid over 2 grand (each) for some of my previous keyboards. The upper line is very expensive.

12. Kyu

Kyu Senior Member Member

The idea of a HPFF rock band intrigues me... I'd be happy to let my guitar or mandolin to the cause!!! :p

13. I would lend my talents, such as they are to the cause as well. That would rock... Of course, the airline tickets just to go to band practice 3 times a week would really suck... :wink:

14. my pedal required 2 cords....

15. You guys could be Hi-Point's house band for the shot show next year.Have Neo as your agent.

16. Yeah, I got the distortion pedal figured out... I had to swap the cords from the amp to the guitar, the in and out cords 3 times to get the damn thing to connect properly so the unit would come on.

17. Drummer/Guitarist ready to go here :). Also have a PreSonus Firepod up for sale if anyone needs a 24 bit firewire recording interface. Also have a bunch of mics.

18. Kyu

Kyu Senior Member Member

I think Neo would fit nicely as manager/cowbell player!