My Own "Little" Kit for the Alaska Backwoods:

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Oct - 2009)' started by Jag, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Jag

Jag Member

Well, since I have spent most of Sunday resting from a fun but pain-inducing downhill skiing trip, I figured I might as well post some pics of my "arsenal" (can I say again how much I hate buzzwords that seem to have a negative connotation built into their structure?!? For example, the word arsenal seems to bring to mind visions of stockpiles of weapons being used by scandalous criminals to murder citizens, while, in its true meaning, it simply means a stockpile or collection of weapons [which can be used for good or bad by the PERSON using them]; in fact, the word "arsenal" doesn't even directly have a historical usage in reference to weapons!!! This history of the word arsenal is given straight from my copy of the Encarta Dictionary: "Early 16th century. Directly or via French from Italian arzanale , from Venetian Italian arzaná , from, ultimately, Arabic d?r-(a-)in?’a “workshop, factory,†literally “house of the manufacture.â€] Kinda makes you wonder how many other words have been twisted by those who wish to alter their meanings for their own agendas; ironically, in such situations, words BECOME weapons that can lead to the deaths of both people AND liberty...anyway...). Descriptions will follow each one of these pictures:

[​IMG]

This is an H & R (Harrington & Richardson) Youth Pardner Model break-action, single-shot shotgun in 20 gauge with a hardwood stock and an aftermarket elastic butt shotshell holder with five extra rounds at the ready. It has an 18" barrel (I believe), making it short and compact; this gun is the perfect truck gun or backpack gun to take on long trips as well as the perfect survival gun (it's simple, compact, utterly reliable, and is chambered in the mid-range power 20 gauge shotshell, which allows it to take down anything from small game all the way up to a charging predator [provided that the two most important criteria of hunting or bringing down living targets is followed: shot placement and range-to-target; I don't care if you hit a brown bear with a .50 caliber BMG rifle, if you just blow off his paw he still has three more with which to charge you and maul you to death, and BELIEVE ME, bears can run on three legs; also, if your target is too far away for the projectile to retain enough energy to properly penetrate, you won't be eating dinner [in the case of an animal] or stopping an attack anytime soon). To those who believe that it would be too slow to reload, I offer these facts: first, the single round is a 1 ounce charge of lead (be it shot or slug) that at the right range (between 5 to 10 yards or so for the shot, 40 to 60 for the slug) will blow through a brown bear while leaving a nice .615 inch entry hole and an apple or bigger size exit wound, and I have personally timed myself while reloading this thing (I can shoot all 6 rounds, starting with one already in the barrel, in under thirty seconds with accuracy at the ranges where I would have to speed-shoot; if six rounds worth of 20 gauge lead doesn't rescue my day, I doubt even a SCUD missile would help my situation much :shock:). You can check out http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/pardnerYouth.aspx for more info on the make and model.

[​IMG]

To start off from the top down, the uppermost rifle is a Lee-Enfield .303 British caliber SMLE (Short Magazine Lee-Enfield) #4 Mark I turnbolt-action rifle with an original WWII bayonet (NOT the original one that came with the rifle). This is my most recent purchase (I picked it up in November from a friend of the family back in Minnesota when my family went south to visit for Thanksgiving; since he was a friend, he offered to let me have the gun with the sling and the bayonet for $250 [it is in SUPREME condition and is worth close to $600-$700 dollars]; needless to say, I couldn't pass up THAT deal, and I promised him that I wouldn't sell it so long as my bloodline continues through my future kids [if I am indeed given a chance at such an honor]; it will be a family heirloom for generations). I have picked up over six hundred rounds of vintage WWII surplus ammo for it as well as the proper reloading dies for my reloading equipment along with 200 rounds of Boxer-primed brass. Now all I need to do is to start reloading (with a single-stage press, this could take awhile...).

The next rifle down is my Amadeo Rossi Brazilian-imported .357 Magnum lever-action rifle with a custom-made leather sling and an integral tube magazine holding 11 rounds (plus one in the chamber for a total of twelve). This was my second gun and my first rifle, and imagine your reaction upon this being given to you on your fourteenth birthday (my first gun, a .410 shotgun, was given to me on my eighth Christmas, and, boy, did I nearly pass out from shock!). This is the gun that I used to take my first black bear in 2001, and I am here to attest to the excellent ballistic performance of the .357 Magnum round, provided, of course, you place your shot properly [more on that story in a later post]. Nothing like a taste of the Old West-style of rifle to brighten up any collection (especially a gun with such memories attached to it)!

Now, for some clarification: sprawled out below those two blued-steel beauties are part of the assortment of handguns that I use (I am under twenty-one, and for a complete explanation of the history of handgun useage by myself and other "juveniles" see my post under the "Greetings to all members!" thread on the "Welcome Aboard!" board). The two pistols on either end are black powder weapons, and as such I can legally purchase and own them without any governmental restrictions (Thank God and the U.S. Constitution :wink: ). Starting on the far left, we have a Pietta-brand Italian replica of an 1858 Remington New Army cap-and-ball full-strap, brass-framed revolver in .44 (.454" diameter round ball) caliber with an Uncle Mike's Sidekick nylon holster (hey, I wasn't about to dish out an extra $100 bucks for an "authentic" leather holster when I can make my own for under half that amount; just haven't gotten around to it yet :roll: ). This thing is a blast to shoot, a bugger to clean, and dead on accurate anywhere between 0 and 50 yards, and considering a pound of Pyrodex powder and a hundred rounds of ammo can be had for under thirty bucks (and a pound of powder will last HUNDREDS of shots), you can shoot all day for pennies on the dollar; in addition, I purchased a couple of spare cylinders and made my own leather belt-carry pouches, so reloading is a snap with preloaded cylinders. To minimize wear and tear on it, I clean it IMMEDIATELY after shooting (since black powder or any modern substitute like Pyrodex causes a lot more corrosion than nitrocellulose-based smokeless propellants), and I try to only shoot a few cylinders full through it every so often. At the price they sell for (for $250 or less), it would be good to get a couple more spares and stash 'em for future use and...ahem..."long-term storage."

Moving to the right, we arrive at my father's Hi-Point JCP .40 caliber Smith & Wesson semi-automatic, blowback-operated pistol with an Uncle Mike's Sidekick holster containing a spare magazine (thankfully I can use this on my own out hunting or target shooting, but NOT, of course, as a concealed-carry piece since I am underage; see my "Welcome" board post for more info). Since I know that Hi-Point pistols have a nasty reputation for NOT being able to fit in the average holster, I will have to say that the Uncle Mike's Sidekick brand holster fits the JCP (and the other pistols, I'd imagine) like a glove. If you've been looking for a holster, this brand has been the only one I have found so far that is actually made well and is priced fairly conservatively. The only thing is having this monster on your hip can start to hurt after awhile. Aside from that, the pistol shoots great out to 45 yards or so, and it will be my faithful companion on many hunting and target shooting trips in the future.

On the far corner in the bottom right, last but not least, we have a Traditions-brand Spanish-imported Kentucky-style muzzleloading pistol in a percussion cap lock as well as a .50 (.490" or .495" lead round ball) caliber that I mail-ordered from Rocky Mountain Muzzleloading (yep, you can still mail-order black powder guns, and if you want to check out Rocky Mountain Muzzleloading at http://www.rockymountainmuzzleloading.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=RMML they seem to have some of the best prices out there; the owner of the firm even sent me a post card to say thanks for my business!). Since it has only one barrel and, therefore, one firing chamber, it is easier to clean than a black powder revolver; it can also be loaded with shot loads for use on small game (on a black powder revolver, the cylinder gap could cause issues with a shot load, and I am not brave enough to test out that theory on my own Pietta). However, unless you get a good bite into the rifling with the lead ball, your accuracy becomes quite limited beyond 5 to 7 yards. The shoulder holster you see with it is an Uncle Mike's brand, and to make the holster work properly, I actually had to cut the retention strap and sew on an extra length of nylon webbing to allow the strap to reach the eyehole snap. It rides nice for a cross-draw under my left armpit. I haven't shot it that much since I only recently obtained it, so I'll have to take it out and try it some more.

[​IMG]

Starting at the top and working our way to the bottom, we have a Remington 870 Tactical Magnum pump-action 12 gauge shotgun with an extended eight-round integral tube magazine, a short twenty-inch, cylinder (smoothbore, no choke) barrel for maneuverability and compactness in tight quarters, and an aftermarket elastic butt shotshell holder containing five extra rounds. The gun is coated with a weatherproofing layer to ward off rust, and it can be a blast (pun intended) to shoot 8 rounds of rifled slugs out of that short barrel. Just bear in mind that the recoil of a 12 gauge will cause chaffing on your check if you shoot a lot of rounds through it with that Cordora butt holder on it, so if you have one on your shotgun, remember to bring along some lotion when you shoot!

The next gun down is my stainless steel Ruger 10/22 semi-automatic .22 LR rimfire, blowback-operated with enough extended high-capacity magazines to shoot 300 rounds non-stop (not shown). Man, is that thing ever fun to shoot, and its accurate to boot out past 100 yards with those dovetail sights! There is a few companies that make new aftermarket high-capacity magazines (since the Brady Bill had its sunset) such as Eagle and Butler Creek. I know many people like to trick out their 10/22’s to look like M-16’s with lots of accessories and such, but I have just never seen the use for doing such things to my gun (except for the high-cap mags, of course). Simple and plain with its iron sights, my carbine will take down anything I need it to out to its maximum effective range.

Third down in the photo is my Hi-Point 4095 semi-automatic, blowback-operated .40 caliber Smith & Wesson carbine. This is the gun that I used to take my second black bear with this year (spring of 2007), and it is absolutely amazing and fun to shoot! The ‘D’ you see on the magazine extension stands for “Dad†(I used one of his mags from the pistol to put in the well to make it look neat). I have about an extra $260 dollars (at $20 a pop) tied up in spare 10-round factory magazines for it (as well as a couple of belt pouches for the mags), so I can shoot quite a bit without stopping.

Fourth on down is the last part of the handgun collection that I use: a Smith & Wesson Model 586 .357 Magnum revolver with a swing-out cylinder and night sights that belongs to my father. When we’re out hunting, that six-gun makes a great accompaniment to my lever-action rifle in its Uncle Mike’s shoulder holster! It’s double-action, and accuracy is great out at extended ranges. Recoil is also very manageable, even with hot reloads, due to the heavy frame.

On the bottom of the photo is my Remington 870 Express 20 gauge pump-action sporting shotgun with another elastic butt shotshell holder and a five-round integral tube magazine. It has a modified choke, and with steel shot and the legally-required magazine plug in it has taken a few ducks over the years out near the Knik River drainage. Its length makes it cumbersome for long treks, and I mostly use it for upland birds and waterfowl as well as the occasional squirrel or rabbit in addition to shooting clays. Its parkerized barrel and action make it resistant to corrosion, which is a good attribute in a waterfowl shotgun (the wet environment can encourage rusting on unprotected guns).

[​IMG]

On this last photo, we have some of the gems of my collection. At the top is my discontinued Henry pump-action .22 LR rimfire rifle with a 15-round integral tube magazine. In extremely cold weather, I’ve found that the action on the gun my not have enough spring strength to detonate the primer in the cartridges, so I try to shoot it in warm conditions.

Next on down is my break-action .410 shotgun made by New England Firearms (H & R). This was my first gun, and it has a full-choke. I have not found a butt shell holder with loops small enough to hold a .410 shotshell, so I have not yet put one on the gun. With the tight pattern given by the full-choke, it shoots pie-plate size patterns out to 75 yards!!!

Next on down is my Tula M44 Mosin-Nagant 7.62 X 54mm Russian turnbolt-action carbine with its leg-long folding bayonet. This particular gun was $150 since it is of a collectable nature (coming from the Tula factory). Accurate, affordable, and built to last, you can’t beat these guns at the prices you can currently find them at! I’ll have to shoot an animal out hunting one of these days with it. Throw in the 1200 rounds of ammo I have for it and you’ve got yourself one heck of a kit!

Next on down is a run-of-the-mill M44 that I got at a kick-butt price of about $110 bucks (considering the condition plus the small cost for shipping & handling to Alaska). It is similar to the M44’s that I bought for my father, sister, and brother. Having to many MN’s isn’t possible, in my opinion! And, I can neither confirm nor deny that I know a friend who has one…ummm…kept under the DIRT of his chosen storage area for that “rainy dayâ€â€¦along with plenty of ammo…

Lastly, we have at the very bottom my Remington Model 700 ADL .30-06 turnbolt-action synthetic-stock hunting rifle with a Sightron scope. The .30-06 is a great, common high-power cartridge with enough knock-down power to take every legal big game animal in the state of Alaska (just ask my dad; he’s done it with the exception of a bison, musk-ok, and polar bear, but non-Native Americans are hard pressed to get an opportunity to shoot one of these critters since the Natives have been given special privileges to hunt these animals ahead of Caucasians; he even stopped a brown bear that was charging him at a range of 15 feet with his Winchester .30-06 bolt-action! Trust me, when your andrenaline is flowing, a bolt-action can be fired like a semi-auto [I wasn’t there, but his hunting partner said that he had to stop my dad from firing his sixth—and last—shell after only 3 to 5 seconds in case the bear got up again]). The ADL series of rifles also has a secret to it: it has a hollow synthetic stock that can be accessed through the removal of the recoil pad with a Phillips head screwdriver. By accessing this space, you can put extra stuff in there! Here’s what I did after I ran across an article (at http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/goto700ggn.htm):

My Personal Kit in Model 700 ADL Synthetic Rifle, Caliber .30-06 Springfield:

• 1 Bic butane lighter (flint-striker ignition style)

• 9 Strike-anywhere matches

• 4 Razor blades from an Exacto knife

• ~ 2 Square Feet of Aluminum Foil

• 3 Emergency Rounds of .30-06 Ammo

• 1 Space Blanket

• Rear blade for the iron sights on the rifle

• 2 Rubber bands

• 4 Aspirin tablets

• 2 Acetaminophen tablets

• 2 Alcohol disinfectant wound preparation pads

• ~ 6 Inches of duct tape (wrapped around lighter)

• 3 Assorted-sized plastic zip-lock bags (for holding space blanket & iron sight)

• 5 Band-Aids (assorted sizes)

• 2-3 Small squares of plastic wrap (to keep some of the contents of the kit dry)

The above kit is a fallback kit in the event of a dire emergency. It could prove useful should I ever need it.

Well, that about sums up my post. I’ll post more later here should I add to my collection. Until then, have a great one, and a happy and safe New Year to everyone!

Sincerely,

Jag 8)

2. Ari

Ari Guest

You got a SMLE you can't be all bad! :wink:

3. I still think it would be nice if you'd throw in at least one or two details! :roll: :)

4. Hey Jag, you prolly got carpal tunnel syndrome from that post, but those are some really sweet guns buddy! Thanks for sharing them with us!!!

5. Jag

Jag Member

Glad you liked 'em!

I'm glad everyone is enjoying them! If I happen to get lucky enough to get a few more here in the recent future, I'll post them for everyone!
    8) :wink:

Happy New Year! It's finally 2008 (just turned past midnight here in AK)!

Later!

Jag

6. geon

geon Member

I enjoyed the pics as well as the write ups! :!:

7. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

Nice collection and I saw that article there as well I did just about the same thing with my Savage 22 boltie except I put in 20 rounds. Some of the other stuff just wouldn't fit so I left it out.

8. Mordecai

Mordecai Member

Hey man, awesome collection, though I wanted to ask you a few things.

You say the Enfield in .303 British goes for about $600-$700, but impact guns sells em for about $200....

Also, the top mosin in the picture looks like it has a round bolt, and didn't the tula ones have hexagonal bolts?

9. Not all of the Tula Mosins have hexagonal recievers Mordecai, I have 2 Tula Mosins, my M44 and my M91/30 that are both round reciever models.

10. Jag

Jag Member

In answer to Mordici's Question:

The Lee-Enfield SMLE (Short Magazine Lee-Enfield) .303 British #4 Mark I rifle that you see in the photo is NOT your average, run-of-the-mill, looks-like-it-was-just-dug-up-out-of-some-WWII-battlefield-and-covered-with-cosmoline-and-shipped-to-the-states-so-it-could-be-sold-at-a-bottom-dollar-price(which there's nothing wrong with, in fact I find that it's great that these things are affordable enough to arm the average individual who only has a few hundred to spend on a weapon; it's just that the buyer has to probably put in a few man-hours of work to touch up the action and clean out any excess gunk; the biggest problem that one might run into buying a "crudy-looking" milsurp rifle would be that the bore on the weapon was virtually shot out or rusted away; in other words, let the buyer beware when purchasing a used firearm: inspect, and, if in question, pass it on for a better gun) rifle that you'd probably find at any local gun shop carrying milsurp (military surplus) weapons. The gun in the photo was hand-selected by a friend of the family from a dealer he knew in Arizona. It was the best out of a pallet of rifles, and it came from the dealer in absolutely new condition (the only rounds fired through it came from my friend and myself when I bought it). All in all, it was a smoking deal (pun intended), and, in case you're wondering, I promised him I would never sell it since he gave me such a good deal on it (he had it appraised at a gun shop once and they quoted him around $600-$700 for the weapon since it was in such good condition) :mrgreen: . I have to say, it is a real beauty, and I'm danged blessed to have recieved it from a guy I knew and could trust at the price I paid.

Sorry for the bragging, I just can't help it when I see eye candy like this :lol: .

Later!!!

Jag 8)

11. Mordecai

Mordecai Member

Alright, sorry, the info I read was wrong, lol.

About the enield.

Alright man, and just FYI, thats a beautiful firearm!!!

12. Jag

Jag Member

Bump for consolidating all my gun gallery threads...

But...

WARNING: THREAD RESSURECTION!

This thread is now of the LIVING DEAD!

MUAHAHAAH!!!

:devilsidesmile: :devilsidesmile: :devilsidesmile:

[​IMG]

Quick, to your stations!!!

[​IMG]

:devilsidesmile:

Jag 8)

13. Jag, you're an idiot, but you crack me up!

14. Jag

Jag Member

:p :tongue2: :p

I'm an idiot?

:'(

Now I'm sad...careful, I have control over my zombies, and they don't like it when their master is upset...Dr. Frankenstein would be so proud...

:devilsidesmile:

OK, just kidding...

Or am I?...

:D

LOL...later!

Jag 8)

15. Dude tell me Im seeing shit and you dont have a shoulder rig for a muzzleloader

16. Beowolf1911

Beowolf1911 Member

Nice kit, I definitely like the hollow stock with survival gear, my survival kit is too bulky, I would love to have a little one like that in quick reach.

17. bomber101581

bomber101581 Well-Known Member

lol

18. Jag

Jag Member

Nope, 98pointsix, that is indeed a shoulder rig for a muzzleloader...odd, maybe, but nice for carrying...

:D

Jag 8)

19. That awsome. Im just thinking out loud here but since muzzle loaders arent classified as firearms couldnt you carry that without a CC permit
    " Dont make me go all Jack Sparrow on your ass"