My recently refinished 995

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by BigRed96, Jan 22, 2008.

1. BigRed96

BigRed96 Member

This is my 995 I refinshed. I powdercoated the barrel shroud, reciever cover and front sight post in flat black. I filled the stock with great stuff foam to make the stock stiffer. I stippled the grip, fore end area, and rear of the stock. I then tapped off the stippled areas and sprayed the rest with Krylon paint from Wally World. Total investment was about $10.00 and I am thrilled with the outcome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. WOW nice looking carbine. Welcome!

3. Pics didnt work for me?????

4. Joe Sixpack

Joe Sixpack Guest

nice job, actually the powder coating looks better then the factory crap-o-rific finish (TM).

btw how does that paint hold up? i wanted to dye my c9 deep purple but i've found out it's impossible to pull off starting from black, so now im thinking a paint however in the past my exp with paint on plastic has not been good.. usually scratching off fairly easy.

5. Now they are working for me. Looks Great!!!

6. NICE ! That is the best looking factory stock ever ! Let us know how the Krylon paint holds up, I am seriously thinking of painting mine once the weather gets warmer up here. BTW...The powdercoated reciever and shroud look amazing compared to the factory finish... nice job.

7. neothespian

neothespian Member

Sharp blaster you got there! Good work

8. AndrewST

AndrewST Guest

Fantastic job on the 995, I must say it is a lot better than the factory look and finish!

9. 47_MasoN_47

47_MasoN_47 You know who I am Member

Wow man that looks amazing! That's a piece to be proud of!

10. unclerob

unclerob Member

Welcome.

Very nice!
    That is one of the best self done stippled grips I have seen.
    Details on the process and equipment YOU used would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

11. Cruiser

Cruiser Guest

I used it on my plastic scooter parts and outdoor plastic lawn furniture, and it has held up well.
    http://www.krylon.com/main/product_template.cfm?levelid=5&sub_levelid=10&content=product_list

Krylon Fusion Plastic Paint
    The first no-sand, no prep, superbond spray paint for plastic! It creates a professional finish that won't chip, peel, or fade.
    [​IMG]

12. BigRed96

BigRed96 Member

Thanks everyone for the kind words. As far as the equipment goes I used my media blasting cabinet to remove the finish on the metal parts to be powdercoated. My powdercoating setup consists of a powdercoating unit from Harbor Freight that is on sale at times for $49.00 and a $40 dollar toaster oven. After media blasting the part is heated to 450 degrees for 25 minutes. This is callled outgassing. This removes oil or contaminents from handling the parts. After outgassing the part is allowed to cool and then it is powdercoated. The part is then placed in the oven and bakedat 375-400 degrees for 20-25 minutes. After the time is up the parts are allowed to cool and are ready to be used. As far as the stock work goes I removed all hardware from the stock and split the two halves. I then fill the halves with great stuff foam and I allowed it to dry over night. The next day I used a hacksaw blade and razor knife to trim away the excess. After fitting the halves back together I decided to try my hand at stippling. I have never done this before and just went for it. It was alot easier than I expected. Being it is plastic means if you make a mistake you can just remelt it to you liking. I used an old pencil type soldering iron for the stippling. I think a pencil tipped wood burner would also do a nice job. After I finished the stippling I tapped it off and spray the rest of the stock with Krylon. The paint color is one from their camoflauge paints. As far as durability goes I haven't been out shooting with it yet. The beatiful thing is if it get's scratch a fix is only a spray can away.

13. Big Red, you may want to mention that powder coating is not something to do in your house oven. When you "cook" the powder it releasses toxic fumes, mainly isocyanate. That when inhaled, it will give you a condition called Glyco-Toxemia. It's a very fancy way of saying "blood-poisoning" (wich are no good at all).

Other than that, I think you did a great job.

14. 47_MasoN_47

47_MasoN_47 You know who I am Member

Could we see a closer up picture of the handle? Krylon Fusion is FTW. I use that stuff on my Xboxes, they've had stuff dropped on em and been hauled all over the place without ever getting a scratch.

15. neothespian

neothespian Member

Now, the question is will Krylon Fusion take just as well on the Poly frame of the HP pistols?? I've used it a ton on props and airsoft guns with great effect, but I'm just curious on the material and abuse that a pistol endures. I ask because I'm considering a MAJOR build for the .40 since the firing pin is busted and it needs to be torn apart anyways.

16. BigRed96

BigRed96 Member

I didn't know what it would give you. I wouldn't want to do it in my house because of my wife and baby girl anyway. Besides, it could be perfectly healthy and my wife wouldn't want it in her oven. I guess I failed to mention that the toaster oven is strictly for powdercoating and is located in my garage.

17. Joe Sixpack

Joe Sixpack Guest

cool thanks for the tip i'll pick up some of that paint next time im at the store, i wanna shoot my c9 before i start painting and sanding stuff..

i wanna get the slide either mirror polished or nickel plated and the frame painted deep purple, the grips probably off white or maybe grey, i dont think the purple frame will look right with a black slide so i'll hold off till can get it polished or plated. does anyone know a cheap place to get nickel plating done?

btw that powder coating looks really excellent, i can't believe you got such good results doing it your self looks very professional.

18. blkhwkfxr

blkhwkfxr Guest

Ok, I just had look up what stippling was ! LOL. You sir, have the patience of a saint ! At first I thought it was simply a technique of applying a graphite finish. But you're telling me that every little dimple and sparkle was made by dotting your stock with a soldering iron ? Wow, my hat is off to you. Great job.

19. Shootest 995

Shootest 995 Guest

Ok if i use that krylon on the ATI stock, can it be heated in the oven at low temps? Or does it need to be?

I am getting the modified top rail back this week and need to finish the stock and get it together. I also need to order those parts from bushman that i told him i would. This week , I promise!