Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from a camping trip with my wife and kids and of of my buddies and his wife. Today we where out by the fire talking about shooting and my buddy said, " I need to buy me a gun". I of course mentioned I have the perfect starter gun for you. I had my c-9 packed away in the car. This is bear country and you never know when your camping. I went into the car, took the clip out, made sure their wasn't one in the chamber, and proceeded to show him my c-9. After talking about it discreatly the camper next to us came down and asked if had a permit.

I said no, but its legal in Utah to open carry anywhere and legal to conceal a weapon in your car without a permit. She then told me she was a "federal officer" and what I was doing was illegal. I told her I knew the gun laws and I was doing nothing wrong. She then said your not hunting and don't have a rifle. I wasnt sure what that had to do with it. She kept saying she was a federal officer and she asked nicely. I said if you'd like me to put it away that's fine but Im doing nothing wrong. She said youd better check the laws again because Im wrong.

Anyways to my knowledge I did nothing wrong and broke no laws. I checked the open carry laws in Utah and their is no restrictions except in a place of worship or where otherwise noted. Their was no signs anywhere in the campground. I should have asked her to show me her credentials. Rant over/

·
U.S.S.
2,267 Posts
You didn't mention where you were camping. Were you on federal land? Oh, you're just going to piss that bear off with a 9mm.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I think she was blowing smoke up your @#$%. If you know what I mean. If she was a federal agent she would have showed you her Id also if she really thought you were breaking the law she would have called the LE on you.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You didn't mention where you were camping. Were you on federal land? Oh, you're just going to piss that bear off with a 9mm.
It was a national forest but Utah laws permits in a national forest. Lol their just black bears... :D

·
U.S.S.
2,267 Posts
Yeah, National Forests should be good to go, unless you were in some special wildlife management area. Black Bear or not, 9mm isn't enough.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Oh dude, why did you not ask for ID? i would have and not so politely told her to stick it where the sun don't shine, especially if she could not produce ID. if someone says I'm a federal officer (uh where) or a cop i always demand to see their creds. it was just passed that carrying in national parks is ok. god i hate people!

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
Working for the US Dep't of Commerce I've found that a lot of Gov't employees (even some of my own) have the misconception they've been deputized after I've sworn them in and handed them their badge. Sorta goes to their heads. I've seen the same thing happen with newbie CCW holders so I guess it goes both ways. Some people are just born with a Batman gene I guess; getting a Gov't ID tends to activate it.

When in doubt I ask to see their credentials or ask what section/subsection of the Ohio Revised Code they believe I'm violating. Since I've studied the ORC 2923.12 and carried around a copy it has yet to end well for them.

Ask simple questions. Make them do the talking and soon enough they'll talk themselves into a corner.

-'bridge
PS While CCW in federal parks has been passed into law, I don't believe it goes into effect until next year. Obey laws accordingly.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
yeah back them into a corner...last month i went down by the river to test fire 10 rounds, 10 rounds mind you, and a border patrol agent gave me the 5th degree, then called his supervisor, then called the sherrifs deputy, who called his supervisor who said everything was cool. he then asked me how far i had to be from a road or building, i said 440 yards. he then said that i was totally wrong and that it was a 1/4 mile!!! duh..... i keep the AZ statutes under the seat of my truck and showed him it says 440 yards and that 1/4 mile is 440 yards...crazy!!

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
yeah back them into a corner...last month i went down by the river to test fire 10 rounds, 10 rounds mind you, and a border patrol agent gave me the 5th degree, then called his supervisor, then called the sherrifs deputy, who called his supervisor who said everything was cool. he then asked me how far i had to be from a road or building, i said 440 yards. he then said that i was totally wrong and that it was a 1/4 mile!!! duh..... i keep the AZ statutes under the seat of my truck and showed him it says 440 yards and that 1/4 mile is 440 yards...crazy!!
LOL no wonder the illegals are still getting in with dumba$$ border patrol officers like that.

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
Yeah, National Forests should be good to go, unless you were in some special wildlife management area. Black Bear or not, 9mm isn't enough.
Well it sure beats a poke in the eye.
Either a poke in the eye OR a 9mm will really tick em off. I know 1979 I was deer hunting in Maine and was attacked by a black bear I fired 3 rounds of 00 buckshot and hit him with all 3 I then climbed a tree and as he started up after me I fired 6 round of 357 Magnum into him he still kept comin it too a 2 guys 1 with a 30-30 and the other with 30.06 to finally kill him.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Either a poke in the eye OR a 9mm will really tick em off. I know 1979 I was deer hunting in Maine and was attacked by a black bear I fired 3 rounds of 00 buckshot and hit him with all 3 I then climbed a tree and as he started up after me I fired 6 round of 357 Magnum into him he still kept comin it too a 2 guys 1 with a 30-30 and the other with 30.06 to finally kill him.
sounds unusual... a 9mm should be capable of killing a black bear. this was a black bear?

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
sounds unusual... a 9mm should be capable of killing a black bear. this was a black bear?
YES a big hulkin black bear!!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I think she was full of crap. If she was a federal agent the first thing she would have done is present I.D. and if you were in the wrong, you would be seeking legal advise now.
John

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Yep, she was full of BS, first thing we are taught is not "represent" the agency while not on duty and god forbid not in uniform, that goes for simple things like stopping in your POV to render aid to a motorist while off duty.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.