My S&W 22A

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by jason865, Jan 24, 2008.

1. jason865

jason865 Guest

Well, I have been wanting a .22 pistol for a good while and I ended up getting this one at a local gun store for right at $210 with tax and fees. I really like the pistol. I was looking at a ruger mkiii, berretta neos, and the .22a. Out of the three I would have went with the ruger if money wasnt an issue. However, I dont want to spend big money on a .22 and my taste in mkiii's runs on the high side. The beretta neos was more in my price range, but I didnt like the feel of the weapon. To me, it felt like a toy which they kind of look like as well. Then I looked at the 22a, and it just fit the bill. It was right at $200, and felt like I was holding a real pistol. They really do have a nice weight to them, at least in my opinion.

My fisrt outing with the pistol was absolutely miserable. I picked up a bulk box of remington gold point .22 rounds from walmart to break in my new toy. After about 150 rounds, I gave up completely. I would have at least two or three ftf's and one stovepiped round per magazine. Not good results at all. I honestly didnt even get a good enough day of shooting to really account for accuracy.

My second trip was with a box of bulk federal ammo. The day was a completely opposite experience. I put right at 300 to 400 rounds through the pistol that day, and only had one failure to load which was with someone else shooting the pistol. The magazine area on the .22a is rubber, and makes it easy to not fully insert the magazine. The magazine will also click in and hold without being 100% inserted, which is something that has now been corrected. As far as accuracy, to be honest I wanted a .22 pistol so that I could really learn to shoot one properly, as I have never had anyone teach me good technique with a pistol. We were shooting apples at about 25 yards with good accuracy, but on paper my grouping is pretty bad at about 6 inches at 25 yards. I think more of that is the shooter than the pistol though, but I will give more info once weather warms up enough to want to stand outside for 500 rounds or so.

here is a pic when purchased:

[​IMG]

You cant tell very well in the pics, but the finish on these pistols does leave a little bit to be desired. It isnt really really bad mind you, but not what I would consider top notch. So, I had thought about using this pistol, since it is a budget weapon, to attempt a duracoat job. However, I have always liked a stainless, nickel, or polished finish on pistols. Well, with nothing to do for a week or two since my laptop went bellyup, boredom got the best of me. I figured the gun would have to be sanded before duracoating anyway to remove the runs in the original finish, why not do some polishing. It isnt near finished as I need to get more pitting out of the slide area, but overall I think it will look good when I am done.

[​IMG]

2. Ari

Ari Guest

Nice write up... I have yet to shoot my new 22a The gun club does issue new memberships tell the weekend after the super bowl. So I am waiting to shoot indoors. As soon as I do I will add my small write up too LOL.. But I will not be trying any Remington ammo LOL. I have not had good luck with that in anything.

3. Joe Sixpack

Joe Sixpack Guest

wow. i think it was a mistake removing the finish from teh gun but to each his own.

i have basicly the exact same model.. duo tone with 5.5 barrel..

you can get shorter and longer ones as well, they are'nt serial marked.

the full length rail makes it a great pistol for adding scopes and such.

only thing i've ever ran threw mine was the 550 bulk federal packs from walmart and it's pretty good about 1 malf per 200 rounds, which is plenty acceptable imo for a .22 auto.

it's a very accurate gun..

i originally went in looking for a .22 revolver but the price was right so i got it.

4. jason865

jason865 Guest

I may still end up duracoating it, I dont know. If not when the polishing is finished, I am going to clear over it to protect the metal from any chance of rust, corrosion, or anything like that. MIne has a decent bit of finishing runs on the slide area, and some on the frame as well so I jut want happy with the factory finish.

Yea, I thought about picking up one of the 7" barrels. I have a 5.5 and definitely dont want a smaller one.

THe top rail is neat, and I may put a red dot on there if I get one cheap enough, but to me a scope on a pistol defeats the purpose.

5. jason865

jason865 Guest

Yea, I ended up giving that crap to my cousin, his marlin tube fed .22 eats it right up. The end all for me was when I tried the remington stuff in my 10/22 and it wouldn't load or fire worth a crap in that either. That rifle hasnt jammed more than once or twice through about 1500 rounds of federal, but it was having multiple failures with the remington stuff as well.

6. Congrats on the 22A. Those make nice range plinkers, trail guns and even decent hunting pistols with a red dot or LER pistol scope on them. I like the 5.5" barrel for red dots, 7" for optical scopes and the 4" for a utility holster gun. Several guys I see at the range have them in all three configurations and seem to be very pleased with them.

Remington Golden Bullets do not feed well in a couple of my rifles but my Ruger 22/45 with factory 5.5" stainless bull barrel or PacLite 4.5" with eat them all day long. I do get a high dud count per 550rd box though, so I quit buying them. The Federal Bulk Pack works very well in all my rimfires but its not the most accurate round in any of them, so I use it for range plinking only.

CCI Mini Mags are probably the best all around .22lr ammo you can get, very few guns have issues with them and they generally turn in accuracy thats good enough to hunt with. The CCI SGB loads are perfect for small game hunting and even last resort self defense use. The SGB is a standard High Velocity round that has a blunt nose instead of round or hollow point. The blunt nose gives good penetration and a wide cross section for wound trauma, but it does not tear up small game like HP's do and it does not punch a small in/out hole like round nose solids do.

I would avoid shooting a high number of Hyper Velocity rounds in the 22A, these would be the Stingers, Velocitors, YellowJackets etc etc. The slide is aluminum and the guides are a plastic polymer, so the Hyper Velocity rounds will cause the guides and recoil spring to wear out really fast when using a lot of the Hyper Velocity rounds. My 22/45 PacLite upper is aluminum also, so I do not use the Hyper Vel rounds as per Tactical Solutions recommendation. In my factory stainless upper its no big deal because it can take the extra punishment.

If it were me, I would Duracoat the entire gun in a flat black because it would give you the most durable finish and stand up to the harsh cleaning solvents you will use during cleaning. Another option, since you like bling, would be to strip all the internals and have it chrome or nickel plated.

7. I've had mine for years:

[​IMG]

Great little plinkers....

8. Some nice looking guns here guys.

9. I like the look of the grip on NRAJOE's gun better than the new ones. I guess the new ones just looks weird.

10. NRAJOE,

The grips on your 22A look awesome!

11. jason865

jason865 Guest

I want one of the rounded barrels like his, but they dont sell them in 7" that I have found, and I dont want another 5.5" barrel.

His grips are pretty cool though. Where did you get those at Joe?

12. jason865

jason865 Guest

I definitely dont want the whole thing flat black, just too plain for me. If I do the duracoat thing it will either be two toned, or some type of stripe or cammo design.

I have thought about doing the plating thing. I have done alot of electroplating in the past, so I thought about looking into systems to do it myself. The plating systems arent that bad, but the plating solutions can run big bucks. It does last forever, but I only need to do one weapon for the time being so it is hard to justify the expense. At the same time, I dont want to pay a shop nearly what I payed for the pistol to have them plate it either.

14. Ari

Ari Guest

I like the black look

[​IMG]

15. You guys need to stop posting pic's of the 22A's because the more I see them the more I want one. Already have my next purchase lined up and I dont need to get side tracked on another gun purchase. That's why it took me two years to get my very on 995.

Later on down the road I may pick up a 22A because the grip angle is very similar to my S&W 9VE (Sigma) 9mm. Would make a decent inexpensive trainer, plinker and with the integral scope rail a good platform for a red dot or optical LER pistol scope.

Like Ari, I prefer the black finish vs the duo tone model.

16. Ari

Ari Guest

Sorry Rimfire (Well not really) I am trying to muddy the water as much as I can :lol:

[​IMG]

17. condition1

condition1 Member

This pistol should belong to someone else, Jason865
    and I think you know who. You owe a pistol, or a MO for $125

18. 45Man

45Man Member

I know this is a very old post, but everyone needs to know that the Remington Bulk ammo is total crap. I had failures to feed on every other round in my brand new Walther. Federal Bulk from the same magazine on the same day produced no failures at all. I was so pissed, I sent the whole brick back to Remington; they later sent me a letter and a check for $25. They stated that the ammo was within their specifications; if that's the case, their specifications suck.

BTW, I have the same S&W 22A. I don't really care for the red dot tube sight. I much prefer the red dot reflex sights.
    http://home.comcast.;]But I will not be trying any Remington ammo LOL. I have not had good luck with that in anything.[/quote]
    Yea, I ended up giving that crap to my cousin, his marlin tube fed .22 eats it right up. The end all for me was when I tried the remington stuff in my 10/22 and it wouldn't load or fire worth a crap in that either. That rifle hasnt jammed more than once or twice through about 1500 rounds of federal, but it was having multiple failures with the remington stuff as well.
    [/quote]
    I know this is a very old post, but everyone needs to know that the Remington Bulk ammo is total crap. I had failures to feed on every other round in my brand new Walther. Federal Bulk from the same magazine on the same day produced no failures at all. I was so pissed, I sent the whole brick back to Remington; they later sent me a letter and a check for $25. They stated that the ammo was within their specifications; if that's the case, their specifications suck.

BTW, I have the same S&W 22A. I don't really care for the red dot tube sight. I much prefer the red dot reflex sights.
    [img]http://home.comcast.net/~smithmonte/images/sw22a1.jpg

19. condition1

condition1 Member

I can only wish I had one