Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I've read you can drop modern ammo in one and it shoot fine. I've also heard of flames out the side when you do, is that true?
Also do I need to look for on grain count or will any do?
My mother want to go shooting for the 1st time next Mon. and I want to fire the Nag (along with at least 3 of the other guns I haven't shot)

·
Banned
2,493 Posts
Once and for all, the model 1895 Nagant revolver will shoot any of the following ammo safely and without blowing a ton of anything out of the gap between the cylinder and barrel: 7.62X38R(Nagant), .32 S&W Longs and .32 H&R Magnums. I regularly shoot all 3 of those calibers from both of my Nagants, there is a more pronounced smoke screen from the cylinder/barrel gap with anything but the correct 7.62 Nagant ammo but it is no more than any .38 special round fired from my .38 Rossi Model 352. The Nagants gas seal mechanism is the reason that these other .32 caliber ammos are safe to shoot as the cylinder slides foward to meet the barrel creating a pseudo gas seal, this works great with the correct ammo making it virtually leak free but you will notice a little more smoke with the other .32 calibers. The worst thing you have to wory about is the fact that after shooting the other .32's from the gun you will not be able to reload them as the cases will bulge everytime. The Nagant correct ammo is more accurate and i certainly recommend that you order some from any number of places on the net that carry it as it has been a wonderful addition to the Hotshot brand and they alone have made shooting the Nagant a fairly inexpensive task. The other calibers were experimented with for many years before by alot of guys who didn't want to pay $40-$50 for a box of 25 or 50 rnds. But Hotshot introduced a new production of this caliber and it has been selling and performing great. If you don't have the correct ammo for this particular gun then by all means feel safe shooting the 2 other .32 calibers but do search for and buy a few boxes of Hotshot 7.62 Nagant ammo for the long run.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Also they sell a .32 cylinder that replaces the original Nagant cylinder. Not a permanent mod either, they drop right in. I thought about getting one of these since they're only $70 for the pistol and another $50 for the .32 cylinder. Hmmmm......

·
Registered
296 Posts
Also they sell a .32 cylinder that replaces the original Nagant cylinder. Not a permanent mod either, they drop right in. I thought about getting one of these since they're only $70 for the pistol and another $50 for the .32 cylinder. Hmmmm......
Be prepared. Most of those 'drop-right-in' cylinders do require a bit of final finishing to get it to fit, depeending on the gun. Some fit perfect, and some don't. For that kind of money, I'd just get a second revolver and shoot the .32 S&W's till it gives out. Which I suspect would be long after you give out.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have shot .32SW, .32SW Long, and .32 H&R Mags through my '36 Tula- -and no issues except bulged cases..and I aint reloading, so thats ok to me...

8)

G

·
use only the naggant round .what is your eyesight worth .no the gun will not come apart but little pieces of hot fast lead will fly in your face.timing of the cylinder is the issue. in the orig design ,final timing was achived by the rounds case face mating with the barrel .and that cant be done even with the "new 32 cal cyl"

·
Banned
2,493 Posts
use only the naggant round .what is your eyesight worth .no the gun will not come apart but little pieces of hot fast lead will fly in your face.timing of the cylinder is the issue. in the orig design ,final timing was achived by the rounds case face mating with the barrel .and that cant be done even with the "new 32 cal cyl"
In fact, the final timing of the cylinder on this revolver had nothing to do with the mating of the cartridge case to the barrel, that mating between the cartridge and the barrel was in an effort to eliminate blow by and create a more efficient gas seal.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i told you you you could put your eye out with one of those,...........a christmas story.
and he WAS wearing eye protection....glasses...

Seriously though, as with anything with older guns, it is usually not recommended to shoot anything other than what it was designed for.

That having been said, the .32 HR does give it a bit more oommph, but just remember to wear eye protection, it is more stylish too 8)

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
J&G has the Hot Shot ammo right now - $25.95 per 50 rounds :)
SOG has it right now for $22.50/50 rds I believe.

I bought as much of the old Russian yellowbox that I could at the time ($14.95/40 rds)...got 15 boxes of the stuff.

Also have some HOTSHOT and FIOCCHI but haven't shot any of it yet.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have shot .32SW, .32SW Long, and .32 H&R Mags through my '36 Tula- -and no issues except bulged cases..and I aint reloading, so thats ok to me...

8)
I retract after reading my post-- I have never shot .32SW-- just .32SW Long-- I must have been in a hurry typing the rounds and not actually reading what I typed--

8*)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.