Nagant Pistol

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by hitmanharleyk, Feb 8, 2008.

1. at one point last year it was said Wolf was going to have ammo for it by the end of '07 but I haven't seen any yet. That's what has been holding me back on it.

2. pills

pills Guest

don't they make a cylinder conversion for it?

3. I'm not sure, I know people use othyer types of ammo in them but the whole fire blowing out around the cylinder kind of put me off on that whole line of attack.

4. I have heard that you can use 32 S&W in these guns while we are waiting for the 7.62 nagant ammo to show up.

5. That's a beautiful pistol for a hell of a price. Honestly, I would buy one just to keep in the safe as a chunk of firearms history, but that's just me.

6. Some people either use .32 S&W Short or .32 S&W Longs in them. A .32 H&R Mag case will fit in the cylinder but standard H&R Mag rounds operate at pressures that are well above what the Nagant was designed to operate at. Some guys do use the H&R Mag cases but down load them to .32 S&W Long ballistics. Problem with using the S&W or H&R brass is you will end up with a good bit of bulged/split cases and waste a lot of good brass for very marginal accuracy and poor velocity.

Currently 7.62 Nagant ammo is made by Fiocchi and HotShot.. The HotShot ammo can be found at J&G Sales for about $26 per 50rounds. MidwayUSA sells new brass for about $15 per per 20rds.

7. pills

pills Guest

8. I have a '38 Tula that I bought from SOG 5-6 yrs ago...fun to shoot....got 12 boxes of the Russian Yellowbox ammo for it...stinky but fun!

Had the .32ACP cylinder for it too....didn't work out to well...hit or miss depending on the gun.

9. neothespian

neothespian Member

Ya know...I dig! If it shoots a more common variant of .32 such as the S&W, then it very well might be a great option!

10. unclerob

unclerob Member

That is exactly what I did.
    I snagged 2 last year. One is 1944 "Izzy" and the other is 1919 Tula.
    Also picked up a couple boxes of the HotShot ammo, non-corrosive.
    I have only put one bullet down the tube of the 1944. None in the 1919.
    Got 'em at J&G for $75 each. Both are in outstanding shape. Cool guns.
    Here is the link. Reviews too.
    http://tinyurl.com/2x37p6

11. If everyone thinks a KelTec, PA-63, P64 or S&W Sigma has a heavy DA trigger they should try the Nagant in DA mode. Last one I played with had every bit of 18# DA trigger pull.

12. You must drink vodka before you shoot Nagant...vodka make you strong like Stalin.... :wink:

13. GrOuNd_ZeRo

GrOuNd_ZeRo Gun Fanatic Member

I am now planning on getting a Nagant revolver to go with my Mosin Nagant rifle...DAMN YOU ALL!!! :D

14. For the price and history you gotta get one. Man is the ammo expensive tho.

15. gunzenhausen

gunzenhausen Guest

Hi all, I was just lucky enough to get my C & R license today and was talking to my husband about the Nagant as one of our first purchases on a very long list.

We looked at one at a gun show recently and was surprised at the amount of gap between the cylinder and barrel.

Okay, so it's cheap and all that stuff. Like stated here, I think it's a great piece of history and would make a great companion gun for my M44.

Question is, how is it to shoot?

16. Hello, I think you will really like your Nagant. I don't own one yet but it is in the plans. Research this pistol on the net and learn about its very unique operation and then take a look at the cartridges for this revolver. It is quite an interesting design. That gap you saw closes while firing.

17. gunzenhausen

gunzenhausen Guest

Thanks for the information on the Nagant's unique cylinder design. We were in a local Farm King sporting goods department yesterday talking to a clerk who is a Cruffler and out of the blue he started talking about the Nagant's cylinder moving forward when shot to fill that gawdawful gap it possesses.

That cinched it. Gotta have one! :wink: