NASCAR Tony Stewart hits dirt track racer, kid dies.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by SWAGA, Aug 10, 2014.

1. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

2. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

I saw that this morning, kid should of stayed in his car but he was mad and wanted a piece of Tony.

3. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Well the 45 in front of Stewart had to swerve to avoid him as he ran down the track. Knowing Stewart's attitude though, he probably did try to tail whip the guy. Tony had reportedly pulled out of the NASCAR race today as well.

4. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Wow, I hate that for Stewart.
    He is a true Indiana Boy, (not like Gordon) and I hope this was not semi-intentional :(

5. undeRGRound

INDY
    Unconfirmed, but people in the stands (allegedly) said Stewart blipped the throttle when he passed by the (now on foot) driver, implying it was intentional.

Swaga forgot to mention, bad language in the video.

6. This would not be national news if:

ANY one but Stewart had hit the kid. Local Headline would read "Driver hit on local dirt track"
    And most of the free world would not be aware of it.

7. undeRGRound

INDY

Have to add this, it looked like Kevin Ward Jr. was trying to get outta the way at the last second or two, it is pretty easy to see on youtube when you slow it down. (settings)

http://youtu.be/_QJdBd0437U

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I doubt he wanted to hit him, maybe scare him...but it was a bad decision, on both sides.

9. undeRGRound

INDY
    I'm kinda thinking that too, as some "fans" will assume the worst about any driver that they do not like. I'm willing to bet right now, if "Smoke" had a time machine, this is the first thing he would fix. Even if he only had 1 trip in it. :(

10. RandyB

RandyB Lifetime Supporter

I hate to see this sort of thing and all the speculation that follows it. I pray the Good Lord gives peace and comfort to the Family and friends of Kevin Ward Jr.

Having said that and having 13 years experience of racing this very type of Winged Sprint car, I can tell you this......You are pretty much blind out of the right side of a winged sprinter with the low hanging right side wing panel, right side arm guard and a full containment seat. With that young mans black driving suit on a poorly lit backstretch and the angle he was coming from, I don't think Tony saw him till he hit him. It almost looks to me like he clipped him with the left front and as a knee jerk reaction he blipped the throttle and turned trying to get off him but in doing so put him under the right rear and spit him out. As far as the accident with the car itself, the 13 car slid out of the groove and jumped the cushion putting himself into the fence....It was close but I do not see actual contact between Tony and Kevin. Tony was past before Kevin hit the fence so it happened to his right and behind him. Yellow comes out.....Tony has no idea this young man wants to communicate with him. The 45 car in front of Tony darn near hits him, I just don't believe Tony saw him till it was to late, bad deal all around with a tragic outcome. I was told from the very first time I strapped in to never ever unbuckle and get out of the car until the track went red and the safety crew arrived or if under yellow a push truck showed up and brought me to the pits if the car would still roll. This is universal at all dirt tracks here in the states and down under as well. Sadly, this young man let his anger in the moment get the best of him and made a poor decision and it cost him his life. Tony has to live with the knowledge that he hit and killed this young man for the rest of his life.
    I offer up prayers for Tony as well.

11. harcdaddy

harcdaddy Member

He should have stayed in his car period.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

12. RandyB ,very well said. I too send prayers to tony and the ward family. I have been around sprint cars all my life and I agree with RandyB totaly

13. undeRGRound

INDY
    I mostly agree with Randy, but I watched the video numerous times and slowed it down to 1/4 speed. You can see the frames easily. More Below:

Good analysis, I thought I saw different things but you have me with experience. Now perhaps it will look different once I review it again...?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  14. RandyB

I need to read my posts better before I hit submit.......I meant to say it looked like he clipped him with his right front.

I also think in the part where you say "After many viewings and slo-mo, it seems that KW Jr. was jumping back up the track, trying to avoid the front RIGHT of Stewart's car" was caused by his own momentum and beginning to slip on the clay surface due to the banking..... and possibly realizing he was fixing to get run over. But it still looks like that right front clipped him but the view is disrupted by the nose wing.

Another thing to point out to any of you unfamiliar with this type of car, they are direct drive.....push to start, have a live rear axle and small break calipers on the left front and right rear to help them turn as well as a bigger right rear than left rear IE: they run stagger to also help them turn....they do not respond well at below race speeds.

15. undeRGRound

INDY

OK, yes it seems the right front could have hit him first, cannot tell much.

These cars steer best at speed, excessive throttle, wheel turned right, to go LEFT.

Is this pretty close to how they steer Randy?

16. RandyB

Yep that pretty much sums it up

17. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Thank you for taking the time to explain that Randy.

18. RandyB

Your welcome.

19. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Driver who witnessed tragedy: Tony Stewart ‘did everything in his power … to avoid (Kevin Ward Jr.)’

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/13/driver-who-witnessed-tragedy-tony-stewart-did-everything-in-his-power-to-avoid-kevin-ward-jr/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Lost in all the resulting fallout of the Tony Stewart – Kevin Ward Jr. tragedy is a report by a fellow driver who was also in Saturday night’s fateful race field and witnessed the incident.

“From what I saw, Tony did everything in his power to turn down away from Kevin to avoid him,” sprint car driver Cory Sparks told Rochester.twc.news.com.

Sparks was a few cars behind Stewart on the racetrack but had a clear field of vision of what occurred, and said that videos that have been made public do not tell the whole story.

“People say that they heard the engine rev up and he gassed it,” Sparks said of Stewart. “In a sprint car, the only way to steer is you steer with the rear wheels as much as you do the steering wheel. In my opinion, what he did was he (Stewart) gassed it to turn down away from him (Ward).”

[ MORE: Kevin Ward's father speaks out, questions Tony Stewart ]

Sparks also confirmed the belief of many that Stewart’s vision may have been limited and that Stewart likely did not see Ward until it was too late.

“Kevin was wearing all-black,” Sparks said. “A black fire suit, a black helmet, which in normal situations isn’t a big deal, they are to go with the colors of your car. It was tragic accident and a mistake was made.”

Although Ontario County (N.Y.) Sheriff Philip Povero has said his investigators have spoken to other racers, it was unclear from the Rochester.twcnews.com story if Sparks has been questioned yet by investigators about what he saw unfold on the racetrack.

“I think that the biggest thing is to remember Kevin Ward as a great race car driver, not a victim of Tony Stewart,” Sparks said.

20. undeRGRound

INDY
    Other drivers said he was trying to "rooster tail" him, (spray Ward Jr. with dirt).
    I'm hoping for a front or rear camera shot of Stewart's car, showing more detail.

Very tragic happening.