Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is anyone in the guard?im thinking about joining and would like some input before i speak to a recruiter in my area
thanks

·
Registered
177 Posts
I don't know what your previous experience is in the military but if you were prior anything you'd like the Air Guard. It's a great way to serve. I was prior Army and when I joined the Air Guard I thought I had gone to military heaven. That may be an exageration, just a little. There are some downsides, sometimes drill can be boring, and your supervisor, especially if he/she is traditional may not be on top of everything. That said, you get to wear the uniform, serve your country, schools aren't that bad, deployments are usually between 30-120 days and they take volunteers first, as compared to the Army Guard which has 12-15 month rotations. Most and I do mean most, not all, supervisors will work with you around school schedules and work schedules and you get paid to do drill. You may also qualify for a bonus or educational benes. My daughter received $15,000 for joining and she is doing great. I would say, at least for the Air Guard, it is a great way to serve and be part of something bigger. So many different opportunities if you take the time to think about what you really want out of it and then find that specialty and go for it. I'm in the clinic and we do humanitarian missions, respond to natural dissasters etc. We do mundane physicals and immunizations to, it's not all cool, but my experience has been more positive than negative by a huge margin. :D

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
my expierence was alittel worse but id still reccomend it to anyone.

i served under Clinton and some of his policices were wacky to say the least when it came to military. the thing that ruined it for me was when my initial paperwork was done upon arrival at fort jackson SC for basic, some idiot civi employee put a check in the box for "MRD" (mandatory release date) when my service was to end. i had signed up for a four year hitch with the option to extend. instead, just after completeing my split training AIT and doing my first couple drills with my local unit, the batt JAG officer called me in and handed me discharge papers. because that idiot checked the MRD box, i was out on my ear. No bonus, no VA, no benifits at all. to top it off because i didnt finish my term of enlistment i recived an "other than honorable" discharge. so i served my country for nearly 2 1/2 years and dont even qualify for a military burial. so i guess while i had a good time doing it and it was an adventure for me, i kinda got left with a sour taste in my mouth over teh deal.

SW

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
whats the pay?
what do you do?
where do you go?what do you do on the one weekend a month and two weeks a year?
is this a wise choice?

·
Registered
177 Posts
whats the pay?
what do you do?
where do you go?what do you do on the one weekend a month and two weeks a year?
is this a wise choice?
1.Pay clearly depends on rank.
2.Generally most of your time is spent at your home station, training or working at your job. So if you're close to your duty station it's an easy way to serve. If not they will pay for hotel and reimburse you for travel.
3. Where you go can vary. Training can take you to alot of different places state side and internationally. Germany, the middle east or middle America. It depends a lot on your job and if you volunteer for a deployment. We have folks from my unit in Afghanistan, Iraq, Quatar, The Arib Emirates, Germany etc. The vast majority stay right on their home base for most of their enlistment or commission. There are opportunities for schools, many are in Texas, but you can go to Cali, Alabama all over.
3 1/2. Weekends are spent training or actually doing what you have trained to do. Don't get me wrong there are meetings, and classes and BS, but that comes with the territory. On your two weeks your unit may deploy to a state side training area or you may just report to the base and work. If your unit has no deployment scheduled you can actually break the two weeks up into smaller chunks and complete them all through the year.
4. I think it's a great choice, you get paid, you learn, train etc and you will be eligible for benes and a retirement if you put in the time. Only part time job I know of with those kind of rewards. It's not for everyone though. So research, go to the base with the recruiters and meet some of the people who are doing the job you are interested in. Then try and get some time with them without the recruiter and ask them what it's all about and if they like it. It's not all great and you need to know that going in , but it's not all bad either and at least for me the positives outweigh the negatives. Good Luck with your decision! :D

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have no military experience so i have no idea what jobs there are. wouldent mind rideing around in a tank,i might like that.
i saw that here in ga there is a armor group-bradleys
can i mess with them?i run heave eqipment so that seems like i might like that,plus they have BIGguns!
what all jobs are avalable?and whats the deal on a bonus?cash?money for school?like that can you explain that for me?
i want to find out as much as i can before speaking to a recruter in case i change my mind,i dont want them calling and hounding me
we took the asvab in school,i scored high and they bugged me for years :brow:

·
Registered
177 Posts
i have no military experience so i have no idea what jobs there are. wouldent mind rideing around in a tank,i might like that.
i saw that here in ga there is a armor group-bradleys
can i mess with them?i run heave eqipment so that seems like i might like that,plus they have BIGguns!
what all jobs are avalable?and whats the deal on a bonus?cash?money for school?like that can you explain that for me?
i want to find out as much as i can before speaking to a recruter in case i change my mind,i dont want them calling and hounding me
we took the asvab in school,i scored high and they bugged me for years :brow:
Jobs available will depend on your local base. It will depend on what they have available and whether or not they already have that spot filled. If you are really motivated by a particular job, just tell them that and also tell them you're not joining if you can't do that particular job. You'd be surprised at what they can do if they think you're serious.
Bradleys are a pretty cool vehicle, fast, light and well armed! If you already operate heavy equipment that seems like it would be a good fit. Ok, so if they have the job available, they will have all the bonuses listed. Most likely a cash bonus, GI bill, tuition assitance and possibly student loan repayment. If the job is currently on a short fall list, or in other words they need people in that job the bonus offered will be higher. Don't worry about the recruiters. If after you have the info, you decide it's not for you tell them you just joined the Air Force, that or tell them you would love to talk but your meeting a guy friend to go over to the "White Stallion" dance club. They'll quit calling. :D Also look the base up on the internet. Most bases will have a web page with job listings and a host of other info.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Here are some links to the Army and Air National Guard Recruiting websites. They probably have the live chat feature that you can get on there and chat with a recruiter and ask questions etc. Also, they have job listings and descriptions of most of the available jobs in the specific career fields you're interested in, so you can actually read about the actual duties you'd be performing prior to making your decision. I would suggest that you read each one CAREFULLY! Alot of the time people don't read what the job is and end up in a career field that they hate. Just a word to the wise.

Also, don't hesitate to ask someone about a job that you might be interested in. Most people with military experience can pretty much tell you about what other jobs do just by how closely we all work together in the field. There are a bunch of Army, Navy and Air Force guys here on the forum, so I am sure you could get real answers if you need them.

Also, NEVER TRUST A RECRUITER! Always, always, ALWAYS get anything he "promises" you ON PAPER, SIGNED!

www.nationalguard.com/

http://www.goang.com/

www.NavyReserve.com

·
Registered
177 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Also, NEVER TRUST A RECRUITER! Always, always, ALWAYS get anything he "promises" you ON PAPER, SIGNED!

www.nationalguard.com/

http://www.goang.com/

www.NavyReserve.com
+1. Definately get in writing.
That would be my 2 cents worth also. Have you taken the ASVAB? In some ways I 'd recommend a field where you DON"t already work in (let them pay you to learn something new) also experience in some of the technical stuff electronics/communications could be very beneficial. Pulling the lanyard is fun but not a lot of demand in the civilian world

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Like 99/100 said, taking the Asvab is always the first major step to get on your way. I also agree with what he said about getting training in something that you don't already know, learning something new is always good. Besides that, you want to get some training in a career that is marketable on the outside once you decide to leave the military behind.

Also, the Guard/Reserve components actually give some pretty great opportunities for full time employment as an AGR slot, or Active Guard/Reserve, OR as a civilian technician, where you work full time for the military as a technician in addition to your 1 weekend a month/2 weeks a year. If you are a full time technician, when you deploy, you get paid from the civilian side of the house, AND you get your full military pay as an activated, deployed military member. It's called double dipping, and it's a pretty sweet gig from what I hear. I have several POL friends over here right now that are doing it on this deployment. One guy showed me where he's already got $10,000.00 in the bank just in the last 5 months. I've only been here a little over 3 months, and I've almost got $5,000.00 saved already, so it's not a bad deal by any stretch.

I doubt my $5,000.00 is gonna last long though, I have to move to Alaska when I get home.

Anywho, if you need more answers, just ask some questions and we'll do our best to help you out. Other than that, call a recruiter or go online to get the scoop.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
will i have to retake the asvab?
i took it in 99,our whole school did
when do you get a signon bonus? after basic?

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Do NOT go Airborne, Ranger, or any thing like that. You're almost too old and I can tell you it put a hurtin' on me at 22. I busted my knees up to where the Army put me out after 12 years. I'd suggest you start running 3-5 miles 4 days a week for at least 3 months before you go to basic. Cav. Scout is nearly as rough as Ranger school and no fun at all. Tank crew can be a good school, you will most likely start as a loader then progress to driver, gunner and Tank Commander.

Ron M.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Unless you go RA (regular Army) Ranger and Airborne won't be options. Unless you have just been vegitating I'd recommend a re-test. (Also some bonuses are based on your scores & job you "pick") Your score will generally go up based on life experience. For physical prep I agree with the running and you want to be able to do 50 good push-ups at least. Bonuses are generally structured on an annual basis. If given the choice between being an MP or a grunt (11B) I'd be a grunt, If your determined to go into combat arms I'd agree with Ron M and go scout, breaking track on a tank is no fun. You have to remember that any Advanced Individual Training is designed to teach you the basics so you can learn from experienced Sergeants at your unit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts