NATO 77 grain ........ expensive

Discussion in 'Caliber Zone' started by USMC_VET, Apr 11, 2015.

1. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

Was just looking around for some 77 grain ammo for my AR and was shocked at the prices !! :eek: . Prices are averaging about $1.03 -$1.06 per rd

2. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Hold off on buying for awhile, and check PSA every day or so. I've seen it pop up on their site for around $.70 per round before. They always have deals. You just have to check back often enough to catch them.

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    That's crazy.

But then...you ARE in California, the home state of the fruits, flakes and nuts!:D

4. USMC_VET

Was told to look for deals on midway and Black Hills 77 grain otm is $53 / 50 rds or $518 / 500 rds

Over on CTD they have SSA 77 grain Sierra tip otm same as Black Hills mk262 and the SSA is .84 per rd

5. USMC_VET

This is from Midway USA

6. USMC_VET

Just checked my LGS and the closest they've got to what I'm looking for is Federal .223 69 grain Sierra tip BTHP and they want $29.99 /20 rd box or $1.50 per rd !! :eek:

7. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    How about 50 rd for $30? PSA

[​IMG]

or $17 for 20 rounds

[​IMG]

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    There's a reason I got the twist that let me shoot 55-64 grain bullets.;)

9. USMC_VET

Thanks guys !!! , actually looking for 77 grain mk262 ammo

10. USMC_VET

But the 69-77 grain especially the black hills 77 grain Sierra tip otm round or mk262 can shoot sub moa @ 100 yards easily from a AR using a 16" barrel

Also 64 grain and up you have the awesome capability of barrier blind ammo and the soft or hollow points make excellent defense ammo . The 77 grain mk262 is deadly on soft targets with large entry wounds leading to even larger wound cavities that will destroy flesh up to 14" and leave a very large exit wound

11. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    As will nearly any weight with the right twist.;)
    In fact, 55 grains shoot fine out of a 1/7 twist, so you can practice with the cheap stuff at 100 yards and under with no worries about drop rate for the heavier bullets at longer ranges.

Meaning, you don't have to shoot up your expensive ammo.

Barrier blind? That's what the .308 or 30-06 or 8mm is for....30-06 Springfield, turning cover into concealment for over 100 years! :p

I DO have 64 grain HP ammo, and it seems to do fine in my 1/9 twist Bushmaster.

But seriously...I live in a place where none of that stuff is a consideration. I want an AR for targets, varmints, and fun. For battle, I have better tools, though I am OK with using an AR to help keep targets pinned down until the big dogs can get on the job.;)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  12. USMC_VET

Most of or all my ammo is for soft or hard targets and personal defense

Barrier blind ammo is ammo like ss109 , m855 and 64 grain bonded soft points

13. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
  14. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Isn't this the same then??

CBC 5.56MM NATO 77GR OTM HPBT AMMUNITION 50RDS - CBC556C
    Be the first to review this product
    IN STOCK
    $ 39.99 $ 29.99 Qty:
    ADD TO CART
    SKU: 50278
    UPC: 754908201815
    MFR#: CBC556C
    556C 77g Sierra Mach King Hollow Point. This is the best .556 round that we manufacture. It was developed as an LE round for extreme accuracy and lethality.

Also, The New 40BONB is a bonded hollow point that preforms better than the Guardian Gold and is offered at an extremely low price point.

15. USMC_VET

To my knowledge the only true spec mk262 ammo is from black hills and it is 77 grain Sierra tip match king otm ammo . The other is listed as the same but not sure is the SSA 77 grain Sierra tip otm which is listed as much cheaper . The SSA listed at $16.99 and the Black Hills is listed at $53 but In a 50 rd box

16. You sound more and more like a call of duty "operator" with every new gun.

17. USMC_VET

Doing a lot of research and also preparing for SHTF that's all !!:D

18. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    As long as you have a contingency plan ;)

C.O.D. < USMC :D

19. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Just don't think yourself into any deep dark places, buddy!:)

If it takes that much work to live on this planet, I'm OK with leaving...but then, I'm pretty sure I have a place to go.:p

20. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    You know, if you take into account the ranges that your SHTF engagements will happeb, and you are so interested in barrier blinds and sound characteristics, you probably would just be better off getting a 1000-round case of 122-grain 7.62x39 to shoot out of an AK or an AR chambered for the round. Your favorite shooting supplier usually has those cases for $215-$230, depending on the type of bullet you get. Even better, you can buy it in spam cans to put away for a long time. Wolf sells 700-round cans, and Tula sells 640-round cans.