NC CCH Application Doctor Part

Discussion in 'CCW & Open Carry' started by Howie_Roll, Mar 16, 2016.

  1. Howie_Roll

    Howie_Roll Member

    I passed the CCH class Saturday. I went to pick up the paperwork needed for the sheriff and there is a spot for your doctor information. I haven't been to a doc in years. When I did twenty years ago it was the walk in so I'm not sure how to handle that part.
  2. Outlaw

    Outlaw Supporting Member

    I'd be careful with that one. Last time I went to the VA, the first question they asked was "Do you own any guns?". I said "no". I can only assume they would call your doc and ask if you have any mental issues. I would actually call the Sheriff's Dept and tell them you haven't seen one in twenty years and see what they recommend. They may say just leave it blank or put something similar to what you just stated, or your last known doctor from 20 years ago.

  3. cicpup

    cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

    Do you remember your pediatrician's name?
  4. What county? NC requires signing a release for mental health records through the state. They do not require doctors disclosing medical conditions. You should only have to sign the release forms they provide.

    The records they check are through agencies that provide court mandated mental health care. Your personal doctor, therapist does not count.

    NC is a shall issue state, you only have to meet the requirements listed in the law. I'll look and see if I can find the statute for you.
  5. Howie_Roll

    Howie_Roll Member

    No. I'm 49. It was for a bad chest cold. I see my dentist twice a year. I wonder if that counts. I guess I can go to the Onslow out patient and see what records they have and get some names.
  6. § 14-415.12. Criteria to qualify for the issuance of a permit.

    (a) The sheriff shall issue a permit to an applicant if the applicant qualifies under the following criteria:

    (1) The applicant is a citizen of the United States and has been a resident of the State 30 days or longer immediately preceding the filing of the application.

    (2) The applicant is 21 years of age or older.

    (3) The applicant does not suffer from a physical or mental infirmity that prevents the safe handling of a handgun.

    (4) The applicant has successfully completed an approved firearms safety and training course which involves the actual firing of handguns and instruction in the laws of this State governing the carrying of a concealed handgun and the use of deadly force. The North Carolina Criminal Justice Education and Training Standards Commission shall prepare and publish general guidelines for courses and qualifications of instructors which would satisfy the requirements of this subdivision. An approved course shall be any course which satisfies the requirements of this subdivision and is certified or sponsored by:

    a. The North Carolina Criminal Justice Education and Training Standards Commission,

    b. The National Rifle Association, or

    c. A law enforcement agency, college, private or public institution or organization, or firearms training school, taught by instructors certified by the North Carolina Criminal Justice Education and Training Standards Commission or the National Rifle Association.

    Every instructor of an approved course shall file a copy of the firearms course description, outline, and proof of certification annually, or upon modification of the course if more frequently, with the North Carolina Criminal Justice Education and Training Standards Commission.

    (5) The applicant is not disqualified under subsection (b) of this section.

    (b) The sheriff shall deny a permit to an applicant who:

    (1) Is ineligible to own, possess, or receive a firearm under the provisions of State or federal law.

    (2) Is under indictment or against whom a finding of probable cause exists for a felony.

    (3) Has been adjudicated guilty in any court of a felony, unless: (i) the felony is an offense that pertains to antitrust violations, unfair trade practices, or restraints of trade, or (ii) the person's firearms rights have been restored pursuant to G.S. 14-415.4.

    (4) Is a fugitive from justice.

    (5) Is an unlawful user of, or addicted to marijuana, alcohol, or any depressant, stimulant, or narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance as defined in 21 U.S.C. § 802.

    (6) Is currently, or has been previously adjudicated by a court or administratively determined by a governmental agency whose decisions are subject to judicial review to be, lacking mental capacity or mentally ill. Receipt of previous consultative services or outpatient treatment alone shall not disqualify an applicant under this subdivision.

    (7) Is or has been discharged from the Armed Forces of the United States under conditions other than honorable.

    (8) Is or has been adjudicated guilty of or received a prayer for judgment continued or suspended sentence for one or more crimes of violence constituting a misdemeanor, including but not limited to, a violation of a misdemeanor under Article 8 of Chapter 14 of the General Statutes, or a violation of a misdemeanor under G.S. 14-225.2, 14-226.1, 14-258.1, 14-269.2, 14-269.3, 14-269.4, 14-269.6, 14-276.1, 14-277, 14-277.1, 14-277.2, 14-277.3A, 14-281.1, 14-283, 14-288.2, 14-288.4(a)(1) or (2), 14-288.6, 14-288.9, former 14-288.12, former 14-288.13, former 14-288.14, 14-288.20A, 14-318.2, 14-415.21(b), 14-415.26(d), or former G.S. 14-277.3.

    (9) Has had entry of a prayer for judgment continued for a criminal offense which would disqualify the person from obtaining a concealed handgun permit.

    (10) Is free on bond or personal recognizance pending trial, appeal, or sentencing for a crime which would disqualify him from obtaining a concealed handgun permit.

    (11) Has been convicted of an impaired driving offense under G.S. 20-138.1, 20-138.2, or 20-138.3 within three years prior to the date on which the application is submitted.

    (c) An applicant shall not be ineligible to receive a concealed carry permit under subdivision (6) of subsection (b) of this section because of an adjudication of mental incapacity or illness or an involuntary commitment to mental health services if the individual's rights have been restored under G.S. 122C-54.1. (1995, c. 398, s. 1; c. 509, s. 135.3(d); 1997-441, s. 4; 2007-427, s. 5; 2008-210, s. 3(b); 2009-58, s. 1; 2010-108, s. 5; 2011-2, s. 1; 2011-183, s. 16; 2012-12, s. 2(bb); 2013-369, s. 11.)
  7. Howie_Roll

    Howie_Roll Member

    Onslow county. I will call the sheriff's office and ask why they even have it listed.
  8. I have heard past rumors that the Sheriff in Onslow county veered from the state requirements. In NC the county is not who approves the permit, they send all the information to Raleigh for approval. NC really should take the sheriff's dept out of it, and make it run completely through the state.

    But it is a good chunk of revenue for the counties.

    Ask them if the release is for line (b)6, if so don't worry about it. If they ask for any physicians names then refer them to the statute.
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  9. Howie_Roll

    Howie_Roll Member

    Thanks for the information, Hero. I would hate to invest time and money just to be denied. I don't plan on exercising my CCH often. My work doesn't allow firearms on the property. I will love being able to buy a handgun when I see them priced reasonably. I'm long gun rich and pistol poor right now. One downfall of having three sons.
  10. I see no reason you cannot carry now without the permit, once you get handgun. In NC you can carry without a CHP if you open carry. Even though I can conceal I don't, I OC almost all the time, unless there is place restricted like the post office.

    For the money of a CHP you can buy a HP, and a Fobus holster and be carrying. You should be able to get a C9 for around 150, and a Fobus on ebay for around 15 dollars. The CHP will cost you 90 dollars at the Sheriff's office, a class can run anywhere from 50 bucks to 150 bucks.

    If you are interested in OC please visit us at OCDO( I have the same SN there. We would be happy to give you as much information on OC in NC that you would want.
  11. Howie_Roll

    Howie_Roll Member

    Yes I used to OC but I gave two boys 1911's and the oldest also got the buckmark. Middle child got a 1911 and colt .22 single action. All of whitch I would love to replace. I mainly need the CCH for replacing my handguns as I find them but I will check out OCDO for there is always more you can learn. I travel with long guns often as me and my girl like to shoot.
  12. There is another option if the Sheriff will not give you a PPP. You do not need one for a antique firearm replica, there is not even a BC. Just need to prove you are over 18. Plus you can buy them in the mail, UPS.

    I have carried my C&B revolvers, but I don't like to anymore. The problem with them is if they are used in SD, they may, probably, will become evidence. Even a couple weeks not being cleaned will result in permanent damage. The odds of actually needing it are slim. You might be able to find a used C&B for a decent price. They are not a hot item in pawn shops so they would probably deal if they have one.

    A cap and ball is a very capable threat stopper. Using Pyrodex RS compressed I get around 1000fps out of a 1858 with an 8 inch barrel. About 900 out of a 5 inch. That is with a 148gn ball.

    Until the law changed that is the only handgun Texans could open carry legally. It is still the only way in Texas to legally carry a handgun without a permit. So they used to be a common sight in Texas. Not seen too much around here though. Most OCers are carrying semi autos from what I have seen.