Need A BOB...Where To Start?

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by dispatch55126, May 19, 2008.

1. I've probably put it off too long, but I need to get a BOB together. I know this is a beat to death subject and yes, the search button is my friend, but here's my question.

I've got my wife, 2 kids (2 y.o. and 3 y.o.) and myself. Reality is, without the van, we can't get too far. Most BOB threads deals with the individual packing what he/she needs to head into the woods. I need something that'll get my wife, kids and myself 150 miles to my farm.

I'm looking for suggestions. Food, clothes, fire, rain gear is a obvious. I'm not worried about ammo or guns since thats already setup in pouches or spam cans. What else would I need to get me and my family where I need to go?

2. JMcDonald

JMcDonald Member

My first suggestion, until your kids age a few more years, would be some kind of child-carrying harnesses so that you can carry them easily.

Next, some kind of wagon (one of those garden service carts would be good) would be nice. While it might be easily possible to go faster, don't count on more than maybe 5 miles a day, which means up to 30 days (that is an average, given the possibility of obstacles, exhaustion requiring extra rest, bad weather, etc). So, a wagon full of gear and food would be nice to fall back on. You could easily put a hundred pounds of gear on it and you and the wife could take turns pulling it or even pull it together with ropes.

In the next few years, get those mini backpacks for your kids. A 6 year old should easily be able to carry 4lbs of gear in a 1lb backpack and keep up with that 5 miles / day minimum.

You probably won't have much room or capacity for weapons and ammo but I suggest at minimum some kind of pistol and maybe a .22LR rifle (the wife could carry that). That will allow you to hunt on the way to supplement your food, and to protect yourself if the situation gets bad. If you can, substitute that pistol for a carbine, and youll easily afford yourself an extra 75+ yards of range (aimed shots at 25 shots to aimed shots at 100+).

Ill add more later but I gotta go eat, heh.

*edit*

And I agree with the succeeding post. The first thing you will want to prepare is your personal accessories, and your personal fitness.

3. Fourboxes

Fourboxes Member

If you plan on walking 150 miles, the first two things you need are good shoes and physical fitness. Without these, none of the rest matters.

I don't think I could get my 3 year old to walk more than 2 miles a day. I doubt shoes designed for her would last that long anyway. If I were planning on walking somewhere, I'd want a jogging stroller, wagon, bike cart etc. I've seen people hike with kids on their backs in special backpacks designed for it, but that's an awful lot of weight to carry, and with a 1:1 ratio of kids:adults, you don't have anyone to carry your supplies.

Before you get too far into planning your pack, you should buy and study maps of the area until you understand what you are up against. Are there mountains in your way? Rivers? Lakes? Crazy old men with no trespassing signs?

Anyway, http://urbanwarrior.freeforums.org/72-hour-survival-kit-t189.html is a good starting point, but you will need to customize it for your route and backup route.

4. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

If you have the money bicycles with kiddy carts will work as well. Then you and your missus can pedal with packs on and haul the kids alot faster. BUT you'll need some conditioning as well, get bikes now and ride and build up!

5. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

The more gears the better, the only downfall about geared bikes, is... well... ever seen a derailleur lock up and form itself into an ugly paperweight? BMX style bikes are rugged, light, and fixed gear'd... only 1 speed, hard to start up hill, and forget about pulling something over a distance, but once it's up to speed... smoothe sailing.
    Bikes are good, but you have a van... don't let it get below 1/2 a tank, and hopefully you won't have to trek too far to the farm when it runs out of fuel.

6. dispatch55126,

Here are a couple links I like to share with those just getting started, considering it or have no clue about where to start when it comes to Preparedness. The info and list are the base by which ALL preparedness guru's build their elaborate kits and shelters on.

http://www.redcross.org/services/disaster/0,1082,0_601_,00.html

http://www.redcross.org/services/disaster/0,1082,0_3_,00.html

And here is another good site for starter material....

http://www.ready.gov/america/index.html

7. hypothesizes:

A BOB is for SHTF/TEOTWAWKI scenario. Do I even want to take my family out on major highways or side roads? In a mass panic, would I potentially be in more danger than hunkering down to wait it out? I do have good neighbors in a good neighborhood so any threat would be exterior of the block.

Scenario 2:

Natural disaster hits. Where I live, it would most likely be winter related. Assuming the roads are even passable, leaving the relative warmth is suicidal, especially with kids.

Point is, am I looking in the wrong location? Should I spend more time, money and effort on protection in place and just have a list of what would be packed if we had to leave?

8. JMcDonald

JMcDonald Member

You will just have to be the judge of that. If it gets bad enough that you are just sitting in your house every night waiting for the next gang to come, or you realize that the firestorm (or whatever) is spreading and is going to reach your house soon, then you'll have to leave.

On the other hand, you will have to pay extra attention to situations, to make sure that you can leave early (before traffic gets bad / military stops traveling / etc etc) so that you can get to your farm without trouble. You might end up wasting a trip every now and then but if it is successful just ONE time it would have all been worth it.

Basically, it will be ESPECIALLY important for you to make your decisions early whether to stay or whether to go, given the limited mobility of your family. In the winter time there won't be much to worry about as far as civil unrest or rapidly approaching doom (like a large fires), and in sticking to Occam's Razor it would be much more logical to just stay at home. In other situations (specifically in warmer seasons), there will be a greater chance of having to head to the farm.

9. Under ideal conditions people would be much better off by sheltering in, aka bugging in, than trying to head for the hills. Even if the power is off most of us have almost everything we need at home to "get by" in relative comfort for a week or so.

Now lets toss in a few variables that could be localized... toxic chemical spill... mass riots spilling over from the urban area's.. leak/accident at nuclear plant close to where you live... under these conditions would it be better to head for a safer location or brave the storm and hang out at home?

When creating your Emergency Plan you should have a primary go to location based on XYZ events and in the event events QRS happen you should go to alternate location. Basically you bug out when conditions prevent you from safely and securely bugging in.

10. Well, two tornado near misses in the past week put a new sense of urgency in things. Today, I took out a basement closet window and reinforced the walls of that room. I also have on order a few things in case we do get hit or something else that forces us to leave without notice.

11. Considering that you have kids to care for, your BOB should be geared towards what you need to have "Ready Packed" in an emergency.
    Don't think in terms of all the gear to survive in the woods for 3 days. Think more along the lines of what needs to be loaded into bags(backpack, duffle, suitcase or whatever is available) that you can quickly take into your Van for your Bug Out.

Food, Water, Shelter & Fire are the top priorities.
    Pack in separate bags, enough food to last you all 3 days. Have at least 1 gallon of water & a means to purify more. Water is heavy so you won't be able to take too much in the bags but you can load up the Van with several gallon jugs when leaving.

You can have several of the Emergency blankets as well as a couple of warmer blankets packed. Also have at least a few pairs of socks & undies & maybe a change of clothes. Also some rain ponchos & hats are a good idea.

Fire is a great thing to have for warmth, light & to keep away the things that go bump in the night. You should have several means to start a fire.
    Waterproof matches, a lighter, flint or firesteel & some tinder.

That should get you started in the right direction.