Need a question answered.

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by MalcolmStone, Dec 12, 2007.

1. MalcolmStone

MalcolmStone Member

So I'm considering selling my AR-180b on Gunbroker. What I'm curious/concerned about is if it does sell, what steps do I need to take to get it to the buyer.

I'm not and FFL01 and was wondering if I, as the owner, can send it to an FFL01 directly (of the buyers choice) or would I have to have an FFL01 in my state send it to the FFL01 in another state? This is presuming that someone not in WV bought it.

I've had some interest here locally but everyone says they won't have the money until after the holidays...which I completely understand, as this is the reason I'm selling it.

So if anyone has any advice from previous experience in selling guns outside of their state or knows the BATF regulations, please let me know.

Oh, and if anyone's interested, I'll post something in the Trade/Sell portion of the board with pictures before I post it on Gunbroker.

Thanks in advanced guys,

Tom

2. pills

pills Guest

unless you state or local laws are different you as an individual can ship to a ffl. You will need a copy of the receiving FFLs information to ship to. You can ship priority mail through the US Postal Service. I highly recommend the insurance. Call ahead and ask to speak to the postmaster. Tell them your intention of bringing a firearm to ship and ask how they want to handle it. My local one I take the firearm in to the office in a box. I open the box to show it is not loaded and the ffl is in the box. Then I seal it using their free postal tape. I have heard of some Postmasters not being aware that a private individual can ship so if they give you a hard time over the phone you may have to tell them what publication they need to reference.

http://gunbroker.com/Support/SupportFAQView.asp?FAQID=1118&NoCount=1

One thing to be aware of is some FFLs will not send their information to a private individual. I don't know why but that is the choice they make.

3. Just for reference to anyone reading this post, you cannot sell a pistol like this. If you are sending it to the buyer, it has to go FFL to FFL.

Only other way is face to face and the buyer lives in the same state.

4. MalcolmStone

MalcolmStone Member

So pistols are FFL to FFL, but rifles (and presumably other long guns) can be Non-FFL to FFL? That's craziness. An FFL01 holder may be less concerned about sending me their information since I am at least an FFL03...we'll see.

Thanks for the advice guys. Still haven't made up my mind about selling it yet, but it's good to be informed ahead of time. :)

Tom

5. A non-FFL can ship a handgun as long as you use FedEx overnite, ship to an FFL01, and take it to an actual FedEx office, not a Kinkos or other authorized shipping point. As mentioned, a non-FFL can ship a long gun via USPS to an FFL01, but depending on who is behind the counter, you may run into problems. You can also run into issues with FedEx and UPS which you can use for long guns too, but its more expensive than USPS. Many people just forego the hassle and pay to have their dealer ship it to the receiving dealer. I have never had an issue of the receiving dealer faxing me a copy of his/her FFL01.

6. Very interesting info, thanks for the thread!

7. Ari

Ari Guest

Ar-180b is a rifle... Not a pistol... I did not think you could send a weapon across the country to a FFL. I though it had to be FFL to FFL unless you are sending back to the factory for repair. Good info

8. I talked to the regional BATF office in Texas about selling a pistol out of state, and was told that it had to be FFL to FFL. He did say send it Fed X overnight and had to be from an official FedX store, not a Kinko's etc.

If the agent was wrong, then I gave wrong information.

But the way they are about pistols these days, I do not want to take a chance and get my rear in a sling.

9. MalcolmStone

MalcolmStone Member

Didn't happen to ask him about rifles did you?

Tom

10. Does anybody know if Fed Ex still requires you do dis-asemble it?
    I need to sell off my C9 and have never even tried to take it apart.

11. ok digging around I found this little tidbit:

5) You can send and receive gun parts with no restrictions. As long as the parts don't add up to a complete gun (or a receiver, which in the eyes of the law is a complete gun), you can send and receive a barrel, a firing pin, grips or other components in any manner your preferences and pocketbook dictate.

still true? and does the "complete gun" part mean in that package or ever? and would this negate the the whole ship to an FFL? (and it seems odd that the rules would be that easy to get around)

12. The only part you need to worry about is the receiver with the serial number on it. Everything else is just parts, by law the receiver is the regulated part and must be legally transferred, transported, etc.

13. MalcolmStone

MalcolmStone Member

Sorry, I've been out of town....just got back today.

Trying to $800 out of her. It's got the quick detach scope mount, scope, and a T-6 stock on it. I've also still got the original box and 2 20 round mags. The price is negotiable, but I'm trying to sell it to pay a friend of mine back, so anything less I'll just have to make up (which is no big deal). Tried to give him the rifle but he has no interest in the AR so his loss. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry if the photos are a bit blurry, but I'm going to take more pictures of it eventually if I decide to post it on Gunbroker.

Tom

14. I "ALMOST" bought an AR-180 back in the middle 80's but ended up with an H&K 91 instead. At that time the 180's were about half the price of an AR and way more common than they are now.

Good luck with the sale

15. Ari

Ari Guest

question is do you still have the H&K91? :smile: