Need AK advise.....

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by SWAGA, Apr 15, 2015.

1. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I'm pretty sure my next buy will be an AK.
    Problem is I only know the basics.
    I could go YouTube but I'd figure I get better advise here.
    I handled a M70 under folder yesterday at the pawnshop.
    It's stickered at $649 which is way high.
    What are the better variants out there considering I don't want anything Chinese.
    I'd rather buy local but I wouldn't ignore a good online deal.
    I've never been fond of those itty bitty children's stocks they have on them but I've always liked the folders except the side folder with the wire stock.
    There a couple of gun stores locally that sell beaucoup of them, just don't want to look like a complete noob next time.
    Are there any with thicker gauge receivers?
    Does it even matter?

2. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Look at the ones from IO Inc. Classic Firearms usually has them in stock. They are American-made and based on the Polish AKM blueprints and cost between $485 and $600, depending on the model and time of the year when you go to their site. Many of them have nitride coated barrels, too.

As far as receiver thickness goes, some of the Bulgarian models have slightly thicker receivers. Unless you go with a milled receiver, the difference won't be that much. The thicker receiver makes the whole package more rigid and accurate if that is of great concern.

The Yugo models look nice, too, but go with Classic's NPAP 2 if you can get it.

I would also recommend Saiga or Be or if you can find one without getting ripped off. I have two Saigas, and I really like the fine fitment.

3. what_now

what_now Member

The best variant is the one that fits you :).
    I did a lot reading on AK years ago before I got mine, mostly on forums. From what I remember reading Russian made are most reliable followed by Romanian, then Yugo. As for the receivers, you have stamped or milled. The milled seem to have more problems than stamped. Also some have bolt hold open some don't so you have to ask on that if it matters to you.
    I HAD a Saiga AK74 (5.45x39), Russian made stamped receiver. Only problem I ever had with it was fit issues with ProMags and it would not pick up the last round in the magazine with ProMags only. Other than that it ran flawless. The only reason I sold it is because I was offered more than double what I paid for it.

http://ak-47.us/ak-47-information/ak-variants/

Atlantic Firearms always seems to have the most variations of AK's.http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/com...cal-ak47-7-62x39mm-rifle-detail.html?Itemid=0

4. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

I have a couple of AK WASR-10's and have no issue with them. I tend to set my firearms up for specific tasks, so standard stocks etc. get swapped out. All my AK's have Slide Fire stocks on them for the role they were purchased to fill.

5. talon

talon the banned wagon

My take on IO guns is you've got a 50/50 chance of getting a functioning gun. Thier quality control for years has been total crap. It has been improving but in my eyes thier reputation for junk is firmly established.
    The new CAI milled reciever guns are very nice and extremely reasonably priced, and 100% American made.
    If you want basic, a good old WASR10 is the way to go. Just check that the front sights arent canted. Stocks are extremely easily to swap out. You can add anything but an underfolder in mere minutes. A Saiga stock is significantly longer than commie stocks its just not very pretty. Ill send you one for the shipping cost if you want it.
    You don't need anything special like a maadi or other variant.
    I recommend a WASR-10 for your first, or the C39 milled series from CAI. I own 2 of the pistol variants.
    Either will suit you well.

6. I second the WASR-10. It was my 1st AK, was extremely reliable, ate everything I fed it and had no issues with canted front sight. I would still have it if I didn't think I needed an AR. :rolleyes:

Check out this review:
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0J_7niRsdc[/ame]

7. papataylor

papataylor Member

WASR-10 is the go to ak noob gun. Great for learning the platform and laying waste to cheap ammo.

I'm a VEPR guy though, so I favor the RPK receivers which are a bit thicker. You may prefer them as well.

8. bluharley

bluharley Member

You can go through some nickles with those things, eh?

9. talon

talon the banned wagon

Early wasr's did have plenty of issues, but anything in the last 10 years are fine. Avoid old models with hand etched markings, which your very unlikely to even come across anyway. Those tend to be the ones the horror stories stem from. Bad riveting, warped recievers, shattering pins.....Those were all very real problems.
    However 90% of those guns are long gone. Modern WASR rifles are well assembled and will just plain work. The only real issue is still canted front sights which is a minor issue that can be corrected or bypassed with an optic. My LGS has WASRs in stock from $549-$699 in varying configurations (basic,bayonet,sling and cleaning kit.....laminated or non laminated wood furniture...)
    They are every bit as customizeable as an AR, and shoot a much more affordable (and more manly) round. I've owned over 20 WASR rifles, only ever had issues with one, and it was an early hand scribed model.
    You won't be dissapointed with one. You dont need an Arsenal AK to get a good quality, highly reliable gun.

10. SWAGA

Thanks for the stock offer Talon but I'm pretty sure that I'm heading for an under folder for .....convenience reasons.
    No frill, nothing tacticool, no optics no red dot no nothing.
    I'd like to replace any slanted muzzle end with the 'classic' AK muzzle break.

[​IMG] or maybe even the 'trumpet'
    [​IMG]

That's it as far as little looks is concerned.

11. talon

talon the banned wagon

The flared muzzle break works great. I use it on several. The 4piece unit works awesome as well and really helps keep muzzle rise to a minimum.
    The first pic, the AK74 style also works well but i dont like it aesthetically.

12. talon

talon the banned wagon

Oh and btw, underfolders are reinforced recievers. They use extra thickness mounts which will increase rigidity to an extent. The draco pistol uses the same underfolder reciever and reinforcement.

13. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Are you looking at 5.45 or 7.62?

14. Swag, I have to agree with Flash, Talon and a few others on the WASR10....Ive had nothing but smiles when shooting mine. Not one frown..... well maybe when I put her back in the safe.

15. SWAGA

7.62x39.....is there anything else ;)
    I'd like to keep the same caliber as the SKS since its pretty likely I'll keep that one.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  16. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    So where does a Romanian SAR 1 fall in the spectrum of crap to great?

17. I would get a 7.62 x 39 rifle any day over a 5.45 x 39 or 5.56 x 45 firearm.

18. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

Well, I've shot two (well three kinds, I'll explain later) different variants. The WASR 10 a friend of mine has and an Yugo M70, the one I purchased. Both operated the same, both were great to shoot.

The reason I purchased an M70 was the WASR 10 that I wanted was out of stock at Classic and they had the M70 on sale, otherwise I would have the WASR. I have to admit I liked the fit and finish of the M70 over the WASR, but my friends isn't exactly new, but not one of the ones Talon warned you about.

One of the nice points the M70 has over the WASR is the bolt hold open feature built into the safety. I know you can purchase after market for that but it is a nice feature for the range.

Now the M70 after market parts wise is very selective for things that fit a standard AK, some work, some have to be tweaked, specifically the Pin Retainer Plate and recoil buffer. I got the retainer plate to work but the recoil buffer was a no go, at least when I tried it. It would cycle but the bolt wouldn't go far enough back with the buffer installed to use the bolt hold open. Also not all side rail scope mounts work with the M70 from what I have read, I guess I got lucky with the UTG one I purchased.

Besides that stuff, they are both AK's in the end.

Now I also have a VZ2008, this is the "I'll explain later part", while it has the classic look of an AK it's internals are totally different. I have an absolute great time shooting this one, even with the wire type folding stock. Weight is damn light, and recoil isn't really a problem. It also has a LRHO.

You can pick up the classic beaver barf wood stock and replace the side folder if you wish also for not a lot of cash. The prices of these has been low for a bit. Yes you can pick up an AK for $75-100 more but I really enjoy my VZ. Scope mounts can be a bit pricey but you stated you didn't want to put anything on it so not a big deal. You can get parts for these from APEX and CZ and Zahal that i know of. Not a ton of customization available but enough for me.

Flash/muzzle break wise. I really like the flared look also. I purchased one of those along with a couple from Bonesteel arms for both my M70 and my VZ.

Talon is a great resource for anything AK from all his AK related posts, but hopefully my two cents helps.

19. SWAGA

Thanks.
    I was looking around today and two gun shops in my area had no AK of any kind and one had a club foot.
    One would give me $100 trade in for my Arisaka, second one didn't want it and the third one started peeling the gun sock off, said it's junk, winked and said it was the best example he's seen in years.
    He found one at an online auction about 40,000 later then my serial number for $900. So I just kept my mouth shut and offered mine as a (partial) trade towards an under folder AK.
    I left my number and he'll start looking for one.
    But he was all over that Arisaka lol.
    Trouble is prices are all over the place online. $150-$900 and anywhere in between.
    I'm pretty sure I'm keeping the Albanian SKS :D

* The Saiga continues *

20. The prices being between $150-900 isn't the problem. The problem is not knowing what makes one worth $150, one worth $400 or one worth $900.

With bonefide collecting, little details are the difference between 'junk' and 'treasure'. And 'treasure' is rare.