Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have decided to buy an ak-47 clone in October and i have read many things about the different types. the "model" i am most interested in is the century arms wasr 10 underfolder. main reason being the price and the furniture. all the negative comments i have read about century arms (which consists of trigger slap, sight/gas cant, and poorly reconfigured 30 rnd compatibility) were all posted years ago. have they upgraded there build quality since or does century arms still have build issues? i am only asking this question on this forum because i am afraid of ak fan boys. we as hi point owners have learned to be un biased and i know i will get answers here from actual wasr experiences whether good or bad. CANT WAIT TILL OCTOBER :D

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Yes the Saiga is the best AK option out there accuracy and quality wise as well as the cheapest initially, but it must be fully converted true AK configuration to really shine. The saiga forums are easy to find and full of helpful people. I have two one in 7.62x39 classic AK, and one in 7.62x51 NATO (308 Win) which is just a badass and my favorite rifle. They also make 223 and 30/06 although the 30/06 is a bear to convert.

Heres an older pic of my Saigas to give you an idea.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I bought the WASR 10 built by Century from a local gun dealer and have not had a single issue with it. The bad press was from the earlier conversions that Century did. Mine came with the Tapco trigger group (no trigger slap) installed which was a surprise to me. I thought that I would have to replace it. I did have to clean it to remove all of the cosmoline. I must have soaked the firing pin/bolt for hours before the firing pin worked loose.

If I may suggest that if you are able to purchase the rifle from a dealer near you do it. That way you can see what you are getting before you put down your money.

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
I have a GP WASR 10 from Century and love it! I've done a lot of heavy modifications to mine...but even when it was just the base gun it was great. The only pain was cleaning the cosmo off of it. Mine didn't have much on the inside, but the outside was soaked in it.

Also, if you can find one, the Mak-90 is a freaking awesome AK. The fit and finish on the Mak-90 is a whole lot better than the sub-par WASR-10 finish and furniture. I got lucky and snagged a Mak-90 off the books for $400 several months back. Paid the same amount for my WASR when I was 18.

A friend of mine has the Saiga. While it is a nice looking gun I'd have to say spend the extra money and buy an already made AK. It was a fun project, but it can be a bit of a pain and it's easy to make mistakes that leave scratches on the finish and whatnot. Also, making that blasted bullet guide and getting it to work was a huge PITA. If you want to pay out the anus for the Saiga brand mags you don't have to have the bullet guide, but in order to use regular AK mags you have to make (or I think you might can buy em from some guy that's name starts with a D...) one.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Pre-made bullet guides are availible for Saiga so there's no reason to be afraid of doing a full conversion, this only an issue with the x39 which as I said before isnt exactly my favorite round.

If you have no real tool skills however it is best to go the AK route. The WASR issues also included some that were coming in with poor barrels and that is just point one on any rifle, Saiga uses only very good chrome barrels just shy of match grade. This may no longer be an issue on the WASR.

Hit the AK forums.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
if you want an AK, buy an AK. saigas are more for the hunting crowd that wants the reliability of an AK without the EBR look. you cna pick up a romy G or polish for 300-400$ off GB, or buy a kit and build one yourself on a nodakspud reciever if youre the tinkering type.

SW

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I have a WASR 10/63 and it is nothing but good news. In my humble opinion the underfolding stocks are awkward to shoot with and I've heard they have a tendancy to get sloppy after a while.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great! i think i will go with the romanian from century arms. its really clean and seems well put together... no cant and the mags fit well. i liked the look and the feel of the underfolder but if it gets weak i will go tapco or ati.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I gave mine a good look over before I put money down for it. There were three on the rack and I handled all of them. One of them did have a noticably canted front sight, but I guess that those issues have been resolved.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
if you want an AK, buy an AK. saigas are more for the hunting crowd that wants the reliability of an AK without the EBR look. you cna pick up a romy G or polish for 300-400$ off GB, or buy a kit and build one yourself on a nodakspud reciever if youre the tinkering type.

SW
There are few US users that fit that description. The Saiga is shipped sporterized to avoid assault weapon regulations. They are made at the same factory that has turned out AK-47s since day one. The x39 receiver already has all the cut outs for pistol grip and fire control group. It will frankly out shoot any other AK on the market with only the MAC being debatable but barely. If you want a 4-6MOA shooter fine any AK will do that, if you want a 3-4MOA rifle for less than 1K consider the x39 Saiga, for a 2MOA there is no other AK that will fit this bill but the x51 or 223 Saiga. Have fun.

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
The 7.62x39 Saiga that I helped convert didn't have all the holes already included, we had to cut the pistol grip hole. It wasn't that big of a deal, but it was rather annoying and we ended up scratching the finish while doing it.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Pre-made bullet guides are availible for Saiga so there's no reason to be afraid of doing a full conversion,
Who makes a Bullet guide for the Saige????? I must know.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Dinzag Arms makes them for sure. Need to get on the Saiga forums guys for specifics on these things.

All four of the x39 Saigas I converted had pre-cut PG holes but I have heard of some older ones that did not, easy to do anyway lots of info on it. Its an AK who cares about finish just fix it. The S308 did not have a PG hole but like I said its easy, dremel knocked it out in five minutes after spending ten minutes measuring over and over again lol. Easiest rifle in the world to work on thats for sure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts