Need Career help

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by 1knight, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Ok so some of you may know that I want to be a LEO and in September I took the test for the state police and missed it by 1 point so I have to wait till next year to take it again. But in the mean time I have been looking at my options and I have the option of paying 3,200 and going to the County or community college police academes which would almost guarantee me, a job after graduation since most of the smaller police depts around me are hiring and they really cannot afford to pay to train their officers and it also as one officer told me it shows that you have dedication to the job. Now the hard part is that since I am currently employed as an appliance mover and it squat I really cant afford to pay for the academy but, I could afford to take the classes to become an armed guard and work that for about a year or 2 and being a armed guard pays well and save up the money. Then try to move over to becoming a LEO. Mind you I dont want to wait too long to try to be a leo as I am 23 and im not getting any younger.

2. pills

pills Guest

does PA have a reserve program?

3. Take an afternoon, to the financial aide dept of your local college / campus and tell them your story. They can help with grants and college type loans that you don't pay on till 6 months after you graduate. They are pretty easy to get with some paperwork and the response time is pretty fast.

There's quite a bit of resources out there to get money, free or low interest and the financial aide folks do that for a living. So maybe a course of action - get aide, take the class for armed guard. Go to school for LEO. In one year you have the class, you have the guard experience and you've made more money and not really spent any due to aide. Just a thought. Good luck .

4. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

I toatally agree here being an armed guard isn't LEO but it will give you some experience as well as the feeling of carrying and all the responsablities ect. Take all the classes you can while doing it and learn all you can. Then after you become an LEO please remember us rent a cop / cop wannabees / whatever else they sling at us out here in the working world [ And NO not all of us want to be a cop :wink: ]

5. thanks for the advice guys and newskate i trying to avoid anymore student loans as im currently paying off my current ones I have now but I will look into some grants

6. ah - didn't know that! another option - when you "return to school" I think your payments can be put on hold. Just a thought.

Best of luck in your search!

7. I still think you should just join the Military and become an Officer. Those jokers get PAID!! Not only that, the Air Force offers a one time grant that will pay off student loans as long as you go into a career field where you are using your degree. What's wrong with that? You need to talk to an officer recruiter and see what they have to say. Just a thought.

8. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

The whole idea about going into a large agency is getting top pay, and "humping calls" 12 hours straight... If you were to start at a large agency, and gain rank, then switch to a smaller agency, it's a heck of a lot less work, you get to do proactive police work, and with those credentials, you should be HIGHLY ranked/payed... go from big to small... not small to big.

(In lieu of watching a County Deputy (Deputy II) go from the Sheriff's Office to being Police Chief of a small town)

PS:
    Man, How many guards do we have here on the HPFF??? Do I need to start a "Guard" thread???

9. Jackpine Savage

Jackpine Savage Member

Strangerous, most small towns don't pay squat. I was a small town "chief" for about 6 years and went to a neighboring county as a deputy, and got a pay raise to start, with less responsibility.

Knight, I agree with PrimalSeal, that you should look at the military or the National Guard. First it gives you vetrans prefferance points, and second most agencys like someone that has the background. Also most retirements count military time as police service time for years of service. Also they pay for schooling, and or have a loan student forgivness program. Armed security is sometimes fun, and neccessary, but it is not law enforcement, it's asset protection with a very different orientation. As silly as it sounds sedurity tends to be more proactive and preventative, where law enforcement is the opposite. Police react to crime and follow up on violations, unfortunatly.

I also suggest checking out the local agencys to see if they have a reserve program. That counts as job experience for many departments. Especially if you sell it to the human resources department on your application and resume. Good Luck.

Take Care and Stay Safe.

10. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

If I replace the word "small town" in my post to "municipality" would that change your mind? I think the change was needed because I was told there's a difference between the two.

11. Jackpine Savage

Jackpine Savage Member

Yes, I was "chief" of what started as a 1 1/2 man (or person if your prefer) department. It had grown to 2 1/2 man department when I left. The half time possition was split between five (5) part-time officers. The towns population was 850, which was about 10% of the county. We generated over 1/3 of all the cases in the county.

Most Police Departments in The U.S. are that size, and opperate without much for resources. However a larger municipality which most tend to be on the east coast would make a huge difference. They tend to pay better and have more backup available.

Take Care and Stay Safe.

12. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

I have to agree with the rest here [ I hadn't thought of the military] that would give youa better chance. One of my friends who is a LEO of my home town was in MP"s for a few years before he got out and joined my town PD. So it would give you experience and training. Whatever you decide to do good luck.

13. +1000 But go ARMY ok :D :D 8)

14. PFFFFT!!!

What's the difference between an an ARMY Butterbar 2nd Lieutenant and an USAF Airman First Class?

The Airman First Class has been promoted twice already!!!

Sadly, in the USAF, the responsibility that most officers hold in the Army is given to NCO's E-6 and above.... Kinda funny if you ask me....

15. elguapo

elguapo Guest

I kinda have to agree with Primal on that: Sgts run the people, the Occifers lead them.

(Coming from a background/lineage of NCOs in the family)

16. suddenly i feel very outnumbered

17. The officer has been ruled a gentleman by the Congress, you just do the work for him Primal...:shock:

18. What's that saying.... you can't fool everyone all the time? HAHA!

Seriously, let's get back on topic... Anyone have any more suggestions for 1 knight?