Need help cleaning patch stuck in barrel! : 0

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by jtm087, Jun 8, 2008.

1. jtm087

jtm087 Guest

:oops: So I let my buddy help me whipe my barrels after a range outting. I gave him the chore of cleaning the kel tec sub 2000 barrel and instead of threading the cleaning patch through the end of the cleaning rod, he jammed the patch down the barrel, now it is stuck and I cant get it out for the life of me, I tried tapping a hammer on the end of the cleaning rod to push it out but its stuck in their good! I also tried spraying some rem-oil down their to loosen it up, then tapping rod, but to no luck. i though of water but that would rust the barrel, and I dont want to ram anything down their that would mess up the rifling.......... any Ideas?

2. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

where is the patch located in the barrel... how far from the front sight/chamber? how long is the barrel?

3. jtm087

jtm087 Guest

patch is about 9 1/2" from the front of the 16" barrel, i can also access the patch from the back of the barrel as it folds, and its about 7" from the back

4. Have you tried *grimace* removing the barrell and trying to push it back out the muzzle from the receiver end? I know that's sort of a last resort thing.... Another thought, and you'd have to be very careful doing this, but if you used a very small fishook lashed to end of your cleaning rod you might be able to hook it and pull it out. I know that probably sounds stupid, but if you were really careful you might could get it out without scratching up the rifling. Feel free to discard this suggestion. I've never tried that myself, I'm just thinking out loud.

5. jtm087

jtm087 Guest

yea I tried pushing from both ends with no luck, I have no clue how one small patch could get stuck so tight in a 9mm barrel!!?? I'll give the fish hook thing a try but as hard as i've pushed, if i do luckily snag a piece it'll probably just rip.....

6. If you have a length of dowel, put that down the barrel and tap it out with a small tack hammer or ball peen. That's how I was able to remove a stuck bore mop out of my shotgun barrel last year. The threads on the barrel mop stripped out and as I was extracting it from the barrel the threads turned loose and the mop became lodged rather securely in the bore. It took some time to find a dowel long, large and strong enough to do the job, but once I did it only took a few minutes to dislodge it from my barrel.

Good luck dude. These types of problems are a PITA.

7. +1 to dowel rod.

Another idea - feel free to discard - take said dowel and using pocket knife, cross cut or groove the end, making it a wooden drill bit. Put a half inch level or so of rem oil on the patch, letting is soak in. Send the "drill bit" down and rotate it back and forth to break up the pad. This may take a while, but at the end of the day, it's only cotton or some form of cellulose fiber. Liquid and physical pressure (i.e. drilling motion) will break it up.

8. 9mmXfactor

9mmXfactor Member

if it's the little white square patches stop spraying it with oil... use a strong bore solvent. it will start to break down the cloth. make it lose its grip. then push it out.

9. mill419

mill419 Member

Is it harmful to just let the patch "shrink" by allowing it time to dry out? I would think it would come out real easy then.

10. condition1

condition1 Member

switch to bore snakes after you get it out, I love those things. If you try the dowel, it might work better inserted from the opposite end it originally went in.

11. jtm087

jtm087 Guest

i will try the dowel rod, and let you know how that goes, thank you for all your input!

12. If you have a gun store that is well stocked in muzzleloading supplies, I have seen a device that is used to force a load out of the barrel (ie - ram a ball without powder, wet charge, ect.) that uses a CO2 cartridge - you press it against the nipple and it shoots CO2 down the bore to remove the blockage.

13. andrew241

andrew241 Member

Ohio
    All good ideas. Too bad its not a muzzle loader I have a real good one for that :D :lol: :twisted:

14. jtm087

jtm087 Guest

So I finally got around to taking a dowel rod to the patch, and after about 15 minutes of gradual hammering the patch came out!!! the patch was hard as a old piece of french bread! but Im thankful its out! I dont kno what i would do with my favorite gun outof commission!

15. condition1

condition1 Member

Favorite??!! get a HP carbine and it won't be your fav anymore.
    good news though, glad you got it out

16. jtm087

jtm087 Guest

I do actually own a 995 and it WOULD be my favorite if it didnt jam up so much, i am the victim of what seems to be a common feeding problem on the 995 where the extractor prevents the next round to be chambered properly after firing. I have read multiple posts about this problem, until i can get this issue fixed the sub2000 and gsg-5 are first in line on my favorites list : /

17. Ari

Ari Guest

Next time just take a torch and burn it out.

18. Cadapult

Cadapult Guest

Glad you were able to get the patch unstuck without damaging anything.

Three possible ways to clear a stuck patch, from Hobby Gunsmithing by Ralph Walker:
    1. Clip the body off a wood screw or drywall screw and epoxy it to a dowel or cleaning rod. Screw it into the patch just a bit and pull. Nibble away at it until it loosens the patch enough to push it out.
    2. Take a piece of mild steel or copper tubing a bit smaller than the bore and file saw teeth into the end of it, like a miniature hole saw. Attach to a rod or dowel and saw away at the patch until it loosens up.
    3. Soak the patch with water then gently heat the barrel until steam starts coming out. The steam can loosen a cotton patch enough for it to be pushed free.
    This is coming kind of late, but hoped it might help someone else in the future.

19. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

:think: Hmm. I know, send it to me and I will repair if for you and return it[ after EXTENSIVE testing of course. :wink:]

20. I have used compressed air to dislodge stuck cleaning patches... just a another option for future reference! I have found that 120 psi is the minimum that seems to work! You just need to get a blow gun at Lowes or Home Depot that has a rubber nozzle on the end... and not one of those sissy safety blow guns with the side ports :twisted: they vent too much of the air pressure and don't allow sufficient force to develop!