Need help/expert advise

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by thestones, Aug 12, 2014.

1. thestones

thestones Member

Ok so I work security mostly back in the mountains of east KY, coal mines, old shop buildings and the like, theres a lot of copper to be stolen around here and the theives are very bold when they need their pain pill fix. I am looking to get a firearm to keep on me/in the truck just in case a dog/wolf/other animal or stupid person comes looking to bash my head in to steal something (wouldnt fire to just stop them stealing only if they posed a threat to me/others). Ok so down the the grit and i know im gonna get bashed for this :) but here goes. I dont make a lot of money and need a gun, ive owned a cf380 before and liked it and i know its the same size as the c9, trouble is its not light nor concealable easily. I have limited funds in the 125.00 range or so and thats all i can use. I have found a used c9 9mm for 125.00, seems like its hardly been shot or at least well maintained, and i have found a jimenez 380 :eek: for 119.00. I know i know the jimenez/jennings/bryco story about how it will self destruct and so on, my dad had a jennings 32 acp, worked fine, didnt have any troubles with it and im not gonna fire it 5000 times a month. The gun will be broke in, tested with jhp rounds, stored and carried and then fired about once every 3 months. My question is, the c9 is quite a bit more powerful round and cheaper to buy but the 380 is almost a pound lighter and 1/3 the size as the c9. I can pocket it with no problems where the c9 if i pocket it my pants might find them selves around my knees. Is this a suck it up and use the bigger round situation or would 7 rounds of 380 in a small package be ok to carry, would more then likely use golden sabers in the 380 or the c9 either one. Ohh and I know a 40/45 is better or even a 38 but i cant afford one and the next up the list price is around 180 which is out of my price range and im kinda scared to wait a month or 2 and hope i dont need something within that time. Thanks all very much and happy shooting :D

2. thestones

thestones Member

Ohh forgot to add I also found a Pheonix Arms 22LR but didnt really consider it because the round is so small. I have little handgun experience so im not sure whats good and what tradeoffs are worth it.

3. zen

zen Member

Just curious as to how old you are? What are the carry laws in Ky?

You need to be able to afford to practice with whatever firearm you end up with. Might want to carry some bear spray and a spring baton while you save up some money. I'm not sure about Phoenix arms, but I would carry a .22 if that's all you can get.

Spend some time and get a reliable pistol. Don't carry unless it is legal to do so.

4. Benjamin

Benjamin Member

Nothing wrong with a 22.

5. thestones

thestones Member

Im 34 years old and ky is an open carry no permit state you do need to a permit to carry in public concealed but for the most part if you are on a mountain or away from people they pretty much dont mind. Let me clairify what i mean as far as pocket carry, I'm not talking about all the time, just if i walk the length to a port-a-john or make a round on the property im watching. This would be far from the cities/people at night around 3/4 the way up on a mountian at a deep mines thats closed for the night. I mostly just sit in my truck at the top of the only road up the mountain, so i will mostly be in my glove box which is legal in ky without a permit

KRS 527.020(8) states in part that:
    "A loaded or unloaded firearm or other deadly weapon shall not be deemed concealed on or about the person if it is located in any enclosed container, compartment, or storage space installed as original equipment in a motor vehicle by its manufacturer, including but not limited to a glove compartment, center console, or seat pocket, regardless of whether said enclosed container, storage space, or compartment is locked, unlocked, or does not have a locking mechanism. No person or organization, public or private, shall prohibit a person from keeping a loaded or unloaded firearm or ammunition, or both, or other deadly weapon in a vehicle in accordance with the provisions of this subsection. Any attempt by a person or organization, public or private, to violate the provisions of this subsection may be the subject of an action for appropriate relief or for damages in a Circuit Court or District Court of competent jurisdiction. This subsection shall not apply to any person prohibited from possessing a firearm pursuant to KRS 527.040."

On the ccw note i do plan on getting my ccw as soon as family/time and money allow it. Also you all would be ok with a .22 in the situation. I'm sure not looking for a fight and figure the most likely chance of trouble would come from a rabid animal/stray dog but it has happened a few times in a neighboring Pike County, most people here are pretty easy to get along with and dont look for trouble, same as me, I would be appaled to be forced to fire my weapon on someone even saving my or others live but will not hesitate if I have to, just pray to the good lord above i never have to. As far as getting another weapon, guns have sky rocketed in price around here, most places sell cobra 380s for 220+ dollars and from what i can tell those are not the best. A hipoint 45 is around 250 sale maybe 200 but i have 2 kids under 2 yrs so most of my money goes there.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  6. zen

zen Member

God bless Ky....The weight issue that you are concerned about can be managed with a good belt or a belt combo and suspenders. Sounds like it all boils down to a financial decision. I would get the best gun your money can buy. I have an old old jennings 22. Thing is crap. I'll turn it into slag one day.

7. thestones

thestones Member

A lot of people on several forums say look for a 9mm mak and that would be a really good gun. From what i can tell they are right however most say that you can get one for 150.00 easy but not the case here, ive looked at every gun/pawn shop in 3 counties and mostly none have any mak, I did find one 9x18 for 375 used which is the price of a ruger/taurs or a cheap m&p 9mm. Ammo is harder to find here to for the odd calibers. 9mm is at walmart 25 bux for 100 rounds fmj, 22 is 2.50 for 50 rounds and 380 is the killer 27 for 50 rounds fmj, 25 gold sabers in 380 is 40 bux around 16 bux for 9mm gold sabers. Its looking like maybe i should just get the 9mm, i just really liked the size/weight of the jimenez and would be able to carry it once i get my ccw permit.

8. thestones

thestones Member

How would you all feel about using a 22 like this, i like the fact that the ammo is super cheap which means i can practice more, heck where im at i can practice at work :D Do you all feel a 22 would stop someone if I needed to shoot? Ive read a lot of the reports saying 22 kills more people then any round out there, well small arm fire anyway and i know a 22 will go thru a 1/2 inch pine board at 300 yards using a rifle and scope so what do you all think, maybe a 22 for now and upgrade later to a 9mm or .40.

9. bluharley

bluharley Member

I figure more .22's kill people because there are more .22's out there than anything else. Personally, if something goes bad out there, I would want a cannon. That's just me, I'm a fan of the .40. A Hi-Point .40 is $122 + transfer fee. If you're worried about druggies, they're high, it takes more to stop them. A .22 is better than nothing, but I'd want a cannon.

10. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I have bought several Hi Point 40 & 45's off of Gun Broker for less than $100. Keep your eyes open, you can pick one up for $65 + $20 + FFL?

11. thestones

thestones Member

In my area the hipoint 380 is 169-189 dollars anymore, i bought my first 380 years ago in 07 for 119.00 new but unforseen problems forced me to sell it. Most of the shops around here sell used guns high. One shop here as the phoenix 22 and the jiminez 22 both are 200.00 there. everyone believe the hype that guns were gonna vanish and bought up a lot of them so sellers around here jack up the prices thru the roof, but even online like buds guns by the time i pay the xfer fee im pretty much at close to the cost of buying it local, most ffl around here charge 35-50 dollars to xfer when ordering online. hmm can one buy a gun in a state they dont live in, im only 45 minutes from va and wva maybe they are cheaper there.

12. zen

zen Member

Thing that bothers me most is this guy can buy .22's for 2.50 a box. Life just ain't fair.

13. The best gun to have in a given situation, is the one you have on you.

14. thestones

thestones Member

Well let me just tell you that about 2 months ago that wasnt the case, a local flea market was the only place to get .22lr for about 2 years as everytime walmart or anyone else got 22 shells in they would swarm the place with every 18+ family member they had and buy up every box before they even hit the shelf. The have finally put a 1 box limit on 22 now so others can get some but yeah, i was supprised when i saw then on the self today, almost bought it just for kicks. Im really considering the 22 mainly because i can pick it up for 99.00 and ammo is finally back in stock and cheap. That local flea market i was talking about sold boxes of 50 for 18 bux each just a month or so ago and some would put like 20 rounds in a ziplock bag and sell them for 12 each. Ugh im lost, i dont know what to do, all 3 are within my price range but the 9mm is just so large and well un-concealable, i really like that ja380 but ammo is crazy expensive, its making me lean on the 22 hard now. would be a good practice gun too, maybe get it for the time being and try to save for a ruger or even a keltec 9mm.

15. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

If I had to choose between the three you mentioned, my choice would be the Hi Point first, the Phoenix second and the Jimenez last.

The Hi Point is chambered in the most powerful round. The weight can be managed by using a wide belt or suspenders.

The Phoenix I just like. However it is overladen with safeties. I would not be afraid to use a .22

The Jimenez I do not have any experience with, but I did have a Raven. I think they are basically the same design. Probably be fine, and I am a fan of the 380, but the cost of ammo would quickly erode the $6 you saved on the original purchase. Plus, although you like the size, you seem to have some concerns about reliability. If you don't have 100% confidence in your purchase I doubt you will be happy with it.

16. thestones

thestones Member

Well....I have owned and shot a hi point 380, carried it at a previous job like this one, plus kept it bedside after we got broken into and my wife nearly got mugged in the driveway (since moved from that area). I also have shot a phoenix 22 but never shot any of the Jimenez guns, did shoot a jennings 32acp years up on years ago 20+ but i was a kid and dont remember having any problems but who knows how it was when my dad got it (he kinda hobbied gunsmithing a bit, but has passed now) my biggest thing is while the hi point is heavy, its a beast and never and i mean never failed to go bang, no matter how cold it was (and it gets cold at night here, single digits, sometimes neg. 1 or 2). I could feed that thing any fmj on the market and it had no problems, same with the phoenix but not as much experience. The cost of the ammo is whats killing me on the Jimenez really, ive talked with their reps, the guns have come a long way since Jennings, are more reliable then before and seem to be very well made with a lifetime warranty like the hipoints (well cant say as for service because MoM is awesome on that part :D) the reps was amazing, chatted with me for 20 or so minutes and didnt seem hurried or annoyed, so i liked that. I know that i wouldnt want to get shot with anything even a 22 and more and more it seems that its an ok round for most stuff (people kill deer with it, wow) but I guess ive been spoon fed the old "hittem with the most lead you can handle and dont stop till the ammo runs out" way of thinking. I believe im putting too much thought into this, i like the size of the 22/380 and i think 380 is sufficient for protection in most situations, but that ammo cost really hurts the training. in 08 a box of magtech fmj ammo was 11.00 same ammo now is like 27, i can get 100 9mm rounds for 25 bux or 250 maybe more 22 for 25 bux. Decisions, decisions

17. thestones

thestones Member

One question someone here can answer is whats the recoil difference between the hi point 380 and the 9mm. I got the 380 in the first place so the wife would be able to handle it, since it has very little recoil and offers a decent sized round, some say the 9mm is a mule, some say its a kitten in the c9, me ive shot it and i dont have a problem with it, but not in a c9, never fired one of those, only fired a glock 9mm standard LEO issue and a Beretta 9mm army issue, not mine of course, bretta was in ROTC in highschool, glock was a friends dad who was on the local police force and bought it surplus

18. thestones

thestones Member

This, This cracked me up, and yes the price floored me too, I actually had a employee scan it to make sure it wasnt a misprice

19. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I do not have first hand knowledge of the C9 so I can knot positively say. It is blowback , so by default would have more recoil than a locked breech, but weight should negate some of that.

The CF380 is a real soft shooter, as you know.:)

If you feel good about the Jimenez go that route. I actually kind of like it.

I am far from a firearm snob, can not afford to be! Everybody has 2nd amendment rights, it's not based on money. If you like it and it works for you, that's all that matters.

BTW, the wife's family is across the Tug from you in Logan County. I love that part of the country. Your post has made me kind of homesick to go there. We live in North Carolina. The wife is quick to tell you the only reason we are here it because it's the closest we can be th there and find a job!

20. thestones

thestones Member

I feel ya, i have worked for over 5 years as a computer repair tech for staples but due to company constrains (ie they wont give me employees to work so i had to do it all, except for my job) I left, well that and after 5 years i was making 9 bux an hour as a dept manager. I started working in a local call center that folded up its tent and hi-tailed it back to some other country, so with the job market around here being pretty much well nothing, i started working security for the bottom dollar, hey it takes care of my girls so i cant complain. We have been wanting to move our selves to somewhere that i can get good work that pays but cant seem to get up enough money to do so. I just accepted fate and figured why not, but i wanna be in my girls lives, wifes too, so thats what prompted me to get another firearm. Not long ago, one of our other guards had a tuffle with some copper stealing thug wanna-be's. He ran up on them trying to cut a chain and lock off a substation and they decided to attempt using his head for a baseball, luckly for him he had his bersa 22lr in his pocket, one well placed "warning shot" about 3 inches to the left of thug #1 and they decided better of it and ran off. Not an everyday occurance around here but it does happen, scares me what people will do to get 50 bux. So whats your take on the .22 vs the .380 jimenez, the 380 is small, very small, makes me wonder about its recoil as well, info is scarce on those guns, all i can find is "its horrible, junk, SNS, dont by it, it will self destruct" a few videos that people actually shot it on youtube it seems to perform will if you give it some tlc before shooting and break it in. My main issue with 380 is cost, 22 is dirt cheap, 9mm is almost dirt cheap, 380 is made of gold around here, when you can find them, rem golden sabers run around 40 bux for 25 rounds