Need Help-Fire Pin question?????

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by squeak_D, Nov 27, 2007.

1. squeak_D

squeak_D Guest

Folks, I need help regarding something I noticed today..... I took out my Saiga .223 for her first hunting trip this morning. All went well, and that puppy shot so smooth. Very little recoil, but WOW is she freaking LOUD!! My left ear is still ringing (I kid you not). My brother in law was shocked at how loud it was.

Anyways, I noticed something and I don't know if this is major, or just nature of the beast for AK styled rifles. When we got back to the truck, I dropped the clip, and unchamberd the live round (and just dropped the round that was chamberd back into clip without really inspecting it).

When I got home I emptied the clip and began putting the ammo back into the plastic storage sleave, when something caught my eye. The unfired round that was in chamber had a small indentation on the primer from the fireing pin. What I can only assume is the pin was partially exposed upon the return of the bolt, in conjuction with the chambering of the next round. Is this normal for AK styled rifles? Should there be a small indent on the primer on the next round chambered?????? My concern is that if this isn't supposed to be this was, could that pin push even further out, and upon the return of the bolt, the weapon fire off the next round on its own--which would then in turn fire that puppy in full auto as it will just repeat.

Any suggestions..? Should I contact Saiga?

2. squeak_D

squeak_D Guest

Just got an answer to my question from Russian American Army Corp. Nothing to worry about, as it's nature of the beast really. Upon the return of the bolt, the next round chambered will have a very slight depression made by the pin, but will not stike it no where near hard enough to fire the next round off.

3. HPHooked

HPHooked Member

The condition you are seeing is normal in a semi-auto rife like the AK and AR series. The firing pin is a free floating type without a spring to keep it from moving forward under bolt return forces. That allows it to slap forward against the primer lightly and put a dent in it. It's also why rifle primers are made from a harder or thicker material than pistol primers. The only time I'd worry about it is if you start getting slam fires or double taps with a single trigger pull. 8)

Russian American Army Corp. beat me to the answer. :oops:

4. uncle jerky

uncle jerky Well-Known Member

When cleaning the bolt/firing pin assembly,you can take it apart,or not, and spray some CLP or brake parts cleaner into the firing pin channel,cleaning it out. My 223 Saiga does have a spring loaded/activated firing pin...it is NOT free floating, but some Saiga models may be. My 7.62x39 was freefloating,however.