Need help picking a cheap gun!

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by bluharley, Dec 16, 2014.

1. bluharley

bluharley Member

2. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I have only heard the Jennings was alright? Heard good things about the Phoenix as well. New Phoenix HP22 is about $120?

3. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

If I had a $100.....

Jeeze... I've got about 10 pages full of stuff in my Amazon Wish List..... :p

Actually... $100 might almost get me a full tank of gas in my truck.... :eek:

4. bluharley

bluharley Member

Yea, not many people could live on my budget;)

5. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I'd go for the .38 special revolver listed at $140
    Talk him down to $120

6. bluharley

bluharley Member

How's ammo price/availability?

7. What are you doing with it? Range toy. Home defense? Ccw. Does it need to take on a combination of roles?

8. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont

I've found it around $20 for 50. Plenty of it around.

9. I rarely see 38spcl. For less than .50cents a round. If you have a line on a C9 for 100 would take it over a cheap revolver

10. bluharley

bluharley Member

I don't know! My JCP was supposed to be my truck gun, but it's still on my nightstand, nothing in the truck. Have a carry, so don't need it to carry. Home defense or truck. I like that .38 special, I would like a revolver. And that would be my meanest gun.:D

11. cicpup

Vermont
    Everyone needs at least one.

12. bluharley

bluharley Member

But a .22lr revolver would be fun and cheap to shoot! Maybe I ought to bite the bullet and get 2 cheap guns!

13. Hot-Shot

Hot-Shot Member

Don't know what 100 will buy but for 200 SandW has a real nice 22 for 211 on Buds guns

14. bluharley

bluharley Member

Well, like I said, I REALLY don't have any money for another gun! BUT, I REALLY want another gun, so $100 is the compromise I made with my bank account!

15. cicpup

Vermont
    It might be Sally. I wouldn't know. I have 2 .357s and the wife has one of those girly .38s. I guess one could pretend to be a man with a .22lr revolver.

16. bluharley

bluharley Member

.38 Special is "girly?" :D Then my .32 (well, yea), my .380 (maybe so) and my .40 (questionable) are prissy too? That .38 has a lot of powder behind it, might go through a couple bad guys and the neighbors wife too!

17. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Please do not buy a .22 revolver!!!
    When I go to the range I find the guy with the .22 and take the lane next to him to go shoot my .45 :)
    .38 special has history and heritage as a lot of gun in the old timer days were .38 special

18. cicpup

Vermont
    .357 Magnum = Large Frame = Manly
    .38 Special = Small Frame = Girly

The round is powerful enough. That's why big boy .357s will fire .38s, but little ole' lady .38s run scared from a .357 round.

19. bluharley

bluharley Member

So you can shoot a .38 special out a .357? But not the other way? I remember my dad shooting .38s out his .357.

20. Moestooge

Moestooge Member

The Hi-Point is the winner on that list. Avoid the Jennings for sure. My top picks in the $150 and under department are H-Ps, Mosins, used H & R .22 revolvers, Marlin and Savage .22 rifles and single-shot H & R shotguns.