Need Help, What is this Exactly??!!

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by laubert75, Mar 15, 2008.

1. laubert75

laubert75 Guest

I've had it for a while and i'm pretty sure its either Japanese or Chinese. its in not very good condition, but can easily be fixed up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Could you give us a picture of the entire rifle on it's side? :)

3. laubert75

laubert75 Guest

thanks for some info, i'll look into it. and i will try to get more detailed pics up

4. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

Thats whats known as a type 99 "subsitute" model. The japanese made them late in the war when materials were running out and time for fine craftsmanship was nil. Thus the lack of dust cover on the bolt, lack of checkering on the bolt handle, extremly poor finish throughout and hastily stamped letters and numbers. Also look for the stock to have been laminated from several pieces, as late in the war the japs were short of stock materials.

SW

5. Ari

Ari Guest

I do think bubby has had his way with the stock. I have never seen a type 99 with a red stock. :wink: it almost looks like Russian red shellac.

But it is for sure a Type 99 just like Silicon Wolverine says.

6. Silicon Wolverine

The red finish is likely some kind of furniture polish or shelac. The japanese used whatever they could get thier hands on later in the war when supplies rn short. Also is the imperial chrisanthimum cartouche ground off or OK?

SW

7. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    If that is a later model 99 then I would be careful with it, I remember reading that the metals used later on were sub-par and that it might not be all that safe to shoot.

8. laubert75

laubert75 Guest

No, the "mum" is not on this one, i wish, i herd there worth more with it.

How much you guys think its worth in its present state? like a 100?

9. Silicon Wolverine

likely more than that. We havent seen many type 99 subs come into the country for quite some time. Gunbroker prices go from 75$ to over 600$

SW