Need kydex sheath

Discussion in 'Knife and Blade Forum' started by mrgreen, Dec 6, 2014.

1. mrgreen

mrgreen Member

I have a Ontario SP10 coming and would like to either make or buy a Kydex sheath to attach to my backpack.

Any suggestions on where to buy one or maybe possibly making my own?

TIA

Mark

2. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Wow, 22 minutes....you're getting slow...having a bad day Ajole..?

:p

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Watching football...only so many commercials, you know?:p

4. mrgreen

mrgreen Member

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  6. mrgreen

mrgreen Member

The supplied one is a bit cheezy IMO:(

I will probably make one considering some of the places i have found that make them want north of $75 for a Kydex sheath for a $55 knife:D I don't have the foam and need a press but i see i can make one for like $20.

I would like to attach it to my small hunting backpack any suggestions on attachment method?

Also do we like the firelog thingy attached too and where to get the firelogs?

7. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Foam press...all you need is something with a bit of give, that will form around an edge and push into the corners, and then some weight. You could use books on a pillow, Or a few layers of towel, theoretically.

You can also use a tool, like the edge of a spoon, to push into the creases. That would work best with a heat gun, but if you were fast, it could be done right out of the oven.

I would cut slots in the edges between rivets, and put the thing on straps. For a belt loop. I'd just create one out of the Kydex, and rivet it on. With a belt loop on top and a slot on the bottom, you could carry in lots of ways.

Some of the other kits include a pre made belt loop. The Holstex stuff is pretty cool, $17 for a kit.

All my fire logs are contained in small metal units attached to the top of small tanks of butane. They are called "lighters" and are available almost everywhere.:p

Seriously, I can not understand the weird desire everyone has to make it hard. "What if you lose the lighter?" they say, to which I reply, what if you lose your striker, or mag strip, or fire log...that's two or three parts. Not only is my fire making tool one piece, but I have five of them in my common packing gear. One inside my cooking kit, one in with my stove, (also in my cooking kit, it's an MSR Whisperlite) one in the lid of my backpack, one in the pocket on my canteen, and one in my pants pocket with my Chapstick.

Emergencies are less common if you prepare properly.;)

8. mrgreen

mrgreen Member

I hear you on the log LOLI have a few lighters as well as waterproof blue tips and a magnesium striker LOL

I also am one of the few who carry a first aid kit containing what i need to do stitches as well as some bars to eat and a flare even when i only go hunting out a hour in one direction. Alot of people don't realize at 3 degrees and a broken leg and a cell phone not working put you in real danger very fast. I have slipped down a bank into water and had to start a fire right away once and my wife called me saying where are you as i was a bit late. I told her i was sitting by the camp fire drying out soe stuff before the long walk back or else i might not make it back

Thanks for the help sir i will post some pics of what i come up with

9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Exactly. What is a serious situation becomes an emergency quick, if you aren't prepared. It's may be a pain in the butt, and not much fun, but if you have a fire and a few things, you can come through with a lot less drama.

BTW, did you see the cool "mirage" color Holstex stuff? It's clear, mostly. Neat touch, I may have to try it myself.

http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/product_info.php?cPath=41_430_459&products_id=3269
    They sell holster kits too.;)

10. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

You can buy kydex online. Make one all you need is heat gun shears gloves glue clamps and screws. I made 2 sheaths for my bayonets. Didn't use a form

Attached Files:

11. mrgreen

mrgreen Member

Pretty darn cool Moona!

Thanks