Need some 9 mm advice

Discussion in 'Caliber Zone' started by planosteve, Aug 8, 2014.

1. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Well I picked up a CZ 75 Police today and would like some advice on ammunition for it. I have not owned a 9 mm in years and pretty much forgot what I used to use.

What I would like to know is what FMJ ammo you would recommend for practice and what HD ammo you would recommend. For the FMJ which would you recommend 115, 124, or 147 gr. I know I will need to do some testing but your advice will help me get started.

Also, cheap is good for practice.

No I do not reload, my wife does not like powder in the house.

2. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

Whatever is cheapest to buy.

I use Monarch or Remington 115 grn FMJ as its price is the best locally.

eldar

3. planosteve

Academy has the Monarch, I will check it out next time I am in there. Can't go shooting again until next weekend so I have time.

4. geekandwife

geekandwife Good ole Boy Member

I like Federal 147 fmj from walmart, and my sd ammo of choice is Federal HST 147

5. cktvt

cktvt Member

There are lots of good defensive 9mm loads. I've done research for my own use, and I highly recommend Federal HST JHPs or Hornady Critical Defense JHPs. Both meet FBI protocols for penetration through a variety of media (wood, auto glass, sheet steel, multi-layer denim, etc) and for expansion. If you're looking for a different penetration/expansion tradeoff with a bit more penetration and a bit less expansion, use Hornady Critical Duty JHP loads. All of the above are premium rounds with nickel-plated cases. They're reliable and well-regarded by many people with expertise.

I recommend 124 grainers, only because I figure a middle-of-the-road weight will feed well and perform well. Plus lots of LEOs go with 124 grain. I recommend using whatever cheapo white-box practice ammo you can get at the lowest possible price, as long as it's the same grain weight as your carry stuff - that way your point of aim for practice should correspond pretty well with you point of aim when firing the carry ammo.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  6. GoesBang

GoesBang Supporting Member

The Czech pistol should shoot just about anything you feed it.

7. zen

zen Member

For range time on my CZ, I usually shoot 124 grain. I haven't looked at HD ammo.

8. planosteve

I know I want to stay with the same bullet weight, I do that with all my firearms with the exception of the 06. I use Hornady in my 357 SIG with the 124 gr JHP. It is a tack driver. I guess I need to try the 124s and 147s to see which work best for me. The 124's seem to be a bit cheaper in FMJ.

9. Grant

Grant Member

My favorite practice ammo is the Federal bulk packs, but I have very little issue with most 9mm ammo in my guns really. I do run into one in an occasional gun, but it will generally work in others. Shot some Herters in my 995 today and it hated it. Maybe it's because I cleaned it. ;)

10. planosteve

I use a lot of Herters in my 4595 and that stuff is dirty, but accurate. What is interesting is I also use they 30-06 Herters and it is clean.

11. TeaSipper

TeaSipper Member

Since you wanted to use the same weight in practice and SD I'd say 9mm NATO for practice and 124 +P for SD.

12. shepherd321

shepherd321 Supporting Member

Here is some 9mm advice.

45 acp

13. planosteve

I have a 4595 TS so I have that covered.

14. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    So what did you come up with, PLANO(box) Steve??? ;)

15. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

I have American Gunner in mine right now for SD.

16. planosteve

The CZ loves 124 gr hp ammo. Groups are half the size of the 115. I have plenty of both and most of my practice is with the 115 due to cost. I love the CZ as it is all steel, has a hammer, and no safety. It is almost as nice as a P226.

17. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    NICER, if you factor in Price! IMO
    (I have compared CZ to Sig, personally)

My gun-bunny says the euro-spec 9mm weapons like a heavier bullet, generally.
    I think this 115gr stuff is for the U$A spec 9's. Nothing wrong with that,
    just a better match for the markets I guess... :confused:

18. talon

talon the banned wagon

Here's a simple way to tell the difference between 9mm and .45

Attached Files:

19. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

That is awesome!

20. talon

talon the banned wagon

The things i do when im bored....