need some help

Discussion in 'Reloading Room' started by joey1117, Jan 24, 2015.

1. joey1117

joey1117 Supporting Member

So I started the reloading journey and have the 45acp going very well and the 9mm going pretty good ...however where would we be without a question or two so.....

I am using from there web page the following :
    Hodgdon
    HS-6
    .355"
    1.125"
    X.X
    26,700 CUP
    X.X
    starting with X.X grains to work it up anyhow the bullet is a 9mm .355 115 grain HAP and the 1.125 C.O.L just does not look right does it feed ...sure have I shot any ..NO I stopped because it does not look right can someone tell me thje COL i can add a pic just alot of the bullet hanging out

((Mod Edit: Complete recipes for reloading are not permitted on HPFF))

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2015
  2. joey1117

here are the pics

Attached Files:

3. joey1117

silver one is a factory hp brass are what i am reloading

4. joey1117

putting one in the chamber or the said "plunk" test they are the same depth as any other bullet I have (head space)

5. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Whose bullet is that? The shoulder showing is what concerns you? Bullet length in case looks the same as the factory ones.

Do you have a Max Cartridge Gage like the Lyman?

[​IMG]

6. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Nothing looks wrong to me, it's just an odd shaped bullet.

Shoot some.;)

7. joey1117

the bullet is made by hornady .....well in my world if it does not look right it is best to stop and ask questions ...I do not own the lyman gauge I used the gun barrel and compare to factory rounds and yes it is the shoulder sticking out that made me stop ....so shoot a few and see what it does? ....using the hs-6 load data i should be pretty light on the load ...like i said just looks funny thought i would turn to those that know more than myself just to be safe

8. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Hornady load using that bullet. Yours look like they may be out a little.

I came across this , but you need to verifly it! quote" Hornady's recommended "1.060 oal."

factory load

[​IMG]

9. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    found this too:
    Looks like that load data on hodgdon.com is for a different bullet. I only found two loads there for that powder and the other one was a LRN bullet at 1.100" COL.

10. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Seems here you might not have good load data for using the HS-6 powder.

Posts about this bullet they are using different powder that lists loads for the HAP/XTP 115gr bullets. Bullseye powder load is 1.075" OAL.

http://www.handloadersbench.com/forum17/32659.html
    ((Mod Edit: Sorry guys, can't have any grains listed, even partially redacted ones, when openly discussing recipes. What you talk about in PM is not under our purview though.))

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2015
  11. joey1117

dane ...yes that is the bullet ....the seirra load data book has a small line about using the xtp for the 9mm and they sell the 9mm hap i just came from the gun store they are indeed shorter

12. Joey1117 I have 2 different charts in front of me one is Lyman the other is just all 9mm Loads. Lyman gives O.A.L.1.090 for Hornady 115 gr.JHP, My other book has a C.O.L.: 1.075" for Hornady HP-XTP. This should give you some idea. That is using HS-6 powder.

13. joey1117

thanks ALOT everyone yes this all helped me out so very much ...just being as careful as possible not worth getting hurt over , the Sierra manual has that HAP bullet listed with the hs-6 powder now I cant give the load (sorry about that earlier by the way) but I am right in the middle with a 10% reduction to start. The book I have just gives a max. OAL of 1.170 really not what I was looking for so I drove to the gun store with calipers in hand and checked the factory HAP rounds by Hornady and they are indeed 1.090 so tomorrow I will test shoot these and give the results on here . I really want to thank everyone for there help I just would rather ask than be called 3 finger Joe ...lol

14. Awesome sounds like you got it figured out.

15. joey1117

So went to the range today with my son and we took some factory HAP ammo and our reloads ....at 12 yards could find no difference in group or the way the gun felt ...it all cycled the same . it is snowing here so I will have to wait to take it out a bit farther but over all Im pretty happy with the results . Thanks so very much to everyone I have been reloading shotshells for years but just got into the 45,9mm stuff this year so probably going to have more questions along the way just want to say thanks again
    Joe

16. welderman

welderman Member

I had some that came out looking kinda like that. If you don't have one get a caliper, digital or analog doesn't matter. Their pretty reasonable. I checked the OAL on the factory load that cycled in my C9 fine. Then checked the reloads against that. Ended up I had to re-seat mine about .002 I think. Wasn't much but made a big difference.

17. joey1117

well this will be a long one I will try to stay on point ....So the HAP rounds i got them to work great and I am pretty happy with that load ...so now Im doing some powder coated bullets bought 500 each round nose for the 45 and the 9 ....the 9mm ran perfect the 45 ...well it would load the first round and eject but would not go full battery on the next round ...set my OAL the same as the fmj rounds ....loading one at a time it fired and ejected ...came home and did the plunk test and it sat up just a little above the barrel hood ....so I set them about .010 deeper and they now sit just below it ....was on the phone with my oldest son and he ask a question i did not even think about ...he said " is the nose shape the same (both round nose) ....well damn I had no idea round nose's would be different ...yet they are so I will load more up today and test again but I think it will be fine just posting in case someone else has this problem ....on a side note I broke a part on my lee press (very scary that bulge buster thing needs better instructions so everyone knows it will not work with a 9mm and the FCD ) I got a round stuck in the FCD so much so I broke the part that holds the handle on ...(yeah right ) I called LEE told them what I did ..sent me a new part for free had it in 2 days ...very impressed with that service even though it was 100% my fault ....

18. LOL Lee doesn't make a bulge buster for the 9mm because it's a tapered case.