Need some slide/frame help

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by DrDenby, Dec 14, 2015.

1. DrDenby

DrDenby Member

What does it mean when the slide is locked back, and the magazine is out,

But, I cannot pull the slide back any to release the slide from locked position.

I have to lower the tab.

Doc

2. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

It is a new safety thing in the newer guns. There is something you can take out of the hand grip that allows you lock back & release with out the magazine.

3. DrDenby

DrDenby Member

Eh?

I think you misunderstood or I didn't explain it well.

Lets say last shot is fired and slide locks back.

If I eject the magazine, I cannot then pull the slide back in order to let it go forward

It does not go back at all.

Even if i put another full magazine in.

Doc

4. It means, something is wrong with your gun..

5. DrDenby

DrDenby Member

yeah, thats a given

what though?

Doc

6. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

Ok, when you empty your magazine & the slide locks back (LRHO).
    You release your empty magazine & replace it with a loaded or unloaded magazine. The slide will NOT release & chamber back into battery?

Is your gun new or used?
    Have you had your gun apart before or after this started, or is this the way you received it?

7. DrDenby

DrDenby Member

Correct on the first paragraph. Replacing empty magazine with loaded, the slide wont go back.

It is used but had been functioning well for a while. If by had it apart you mean basic field strip, yeah I have done that a several times now.

Doc

8. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    How many times has it done this?

9. DrDenby

DrDenby Member

Thanks for trying guys.

Seems like no one knows what the problem is.

I will just tear the whole thing down, see if I can see anything, give it deep clean while it is in pieces, put it all back together and hope it is cured.

Perhaps something has come out of place, or if broken, I can get HP on the case dispatching another.

Their customer service is great. Somehow the firing pin springs had got hopelessly tangled and the sent replacement in less than a week, little questions asked.

Doc

10. DrDenby

DrDenby Member

Well, tore it down to bare frame, could not see anything wrong.

Reassembled and it's working perfectly.

No idea what was wrong, but aint gonna worry about.

Doc

11. pghrich

pghrich Member

Hello, many times when something is taken apart and reassembled all is well, devine intervention? I had a similar problem and a good cleaning fixed it, go wonder, rich pyle

12. elt51932

elt51932 Member

How far did to tear it down? If you took the grips off and all, the last round hold open could have been in a bind somehow.

13. DrDenby

DrDenby Member

As I said, I took it down to bare frame. Every piece.

As I was doing so, I did not notice anything wrong.

Mystery, but glad whatever was wrong worked out.

Now if it repeats itself, then I am gonna be worried.

Doc

14. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah

I don't know if that's insulting or not.:confused:

As an Army mechanic, one of our greatest challenges was educating ignorant operators on how to say what they actually meant, and what the words were, that needed to be used to properly desribe the situation. "It's broke" isn't good enough. "Won't start" isn't the same as "won't crank", and if you can't tell us what's actually going on, we cannot help.

For instance, "the slide won't go back" is almost literally meaningless. Did you mean you can't pull it to the rear, or that you can pull it to the rear but then it won't go back into battery, or that it won't go back into battery when you insert the mag?

That's why we were asking questions, to clarify what was going on, so we could offer suggestions.;)

Anyway...glad you got it sorted out.

BTW...my very first thought when I read the OP was that you needed to take it apart and try again, but some guys get upset when you suggest to them that they screwed up, so I just let it play out.:p

Also...quit taking it down to the bare frame, you're putting more wear on it than shooting it dirty would cause. The manual says brush the barrel at about 300-400 rounds, and disassemble for cleaning after about 1500-2000 rounds, and they don't mean remove every pin and part.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  15. elt51932

elt51932 Member

Nah, cleaning every time you shoot it won't hurt a thing. I do agree he shouldn't completely disassemble it every time, but I always clean my guns, even if I only fire one round.