Need to find

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by moona11, Dec 8, 2014.

1. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

E wants us both to get the same type of guns and refinish them together. She wants to learn and spend more time with me. Looking for cheap guns that we can shoot and get ammo for. Needs to be wood furniture so she can learn how to stain. Need your guys help finding them.

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Cool!

I'd suggest a pair of old Marlin Model 60's? Easy to find, not expensive, good guns.

Next...a pair of single shot break action shot guns? $100 a pop out here, if they have them.

Third choice...any old gun in the pawn shops shelf. Same gun, or same caliber? There's always a few hunting rifles in our shops, from old Mausers to old Savages and whatever. Its easy to find a pair of .30-06 or .270's for around $200 each, though not always the same models or maker.

3. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Century has Chinese T53's for $99.00 - stocks are dinged and bluing is worn. Perfect for refinishing both wood and bluing. :)

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I figured he'd already done a Mosin or two, why not stretch a little?

5. moona11

Had some help from a friend and got 2 MN carbines. Wife is happy.

6. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

Need pics, don't know what an mn carbine is.
    Its great that your wife has taken an interest. Mine hardly wants to go shoot. She doesn't mind that I do though, so thats cool.

7. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

Gotcha, mn, mosin nagant.
    Sorry, I'm a little slow on the uptick.

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Which ones? 44, 38, or 91/59?

9. moona11

Chinese Type 53 Carbine

10. moona11

Finally got them today. Stocks beat up like I figured would be. Metal is pretty good but needs a little blueing in spots. Can't show picks yet they are Evils and my Xmas presents to each other and we can work on them together. Allout of ammo that stock is screaming out for a really dark stain with satin Finnish what do you think

11. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Have Evil do a Satan finish on hers.

12. IIRC someone told me the Chinese used some nasty stuff on the gun stocks so care should be used when refinishing??? Can anyone confirm? (Don't want evil things to happen to Moonzie or EvilE.)

13. The beat up stock from being used in the Indo-China jungle in a war is what makes these guns worth having. Looking at them they kind of say, "If I just could tell you what I've seen".

Just food for thought for your next project.

14. moona11

I know but they are only bought for use to work on. Fun to shoot good history but they are so begging me to give them a new life outside of war. They quit like I did. War sucks frog ass

15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Get creative?

[​IMG]

Multi colored staining to simulate laminate?

[​IMG]

Maybe do some panels with this stuff?

[​IMG]

16. eet

eet Member

My 53's stock was quite beat up as they all are. Areas your hands naturally touched were worn through and very rough, splinter rough. I did really like the character of the battle scars and debated long and hard whether to sand it down and refinish. In the end, I scrapped the finish off, very carefully and lightly sanded. I discovered some great graining in the finish and the careful work kept the battle scars intact. I then used a clear finish over the stock. It now has the original character with the graining and scars showing through but a smooth protected finish.