Need your participation to maybe get a new setup for HP Carbines

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by undeRGRound, Jun 3, 2014.

1. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Including a Double Stack magazine compatibility ;)

I contacted Badger BullPup stocks, made for Marlin 22 repeaters.

http://www.badgerm22.com/

He dropped me an email back, but no info so far. I am trying to generate interest here on the HPFF site, and I need to do something at that other Hi Point website, you know, the one where DeeJayH hangs out, (JayBug) and
    get a petition or some kind of numbers to give an idea of interest.
    An ATI stock is on clearance/sale now @ the ATI site, and it is $99 as compared to the Badger Marlin stock $100 in black, or $115 in Pink or Camo.
    So the price point is preliminarily in the right range, GOOD NEWS!

YouTube has a vid of a 1 armed man who said he did his Badger stock conversion in 15 minutes, pretty well designed I'd say!

SO WHO MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN A NEW BULLPUP STOCK FOR HI POINTS THAT ALLOWS DOUBLE STACK MAGS?

Post Here!

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    What double stack mags?:confused:

3. geekandwife

geekandwife Good ole Boy Member

Yeah... your going to have to solve the chicken and the egg problem.... No stock maker will want to make stock for double stack mags without a mag maker that is already making and selling double stack mags... no mag maker will want to make double stack mags until there is a stock out there in sufficient qualities for them to make a profit in doing a production run to sell them to all those stock owners.

Keep in mind our only aftermarket stock maker has gotten out of the market. They have clearance priced their old stock and didn't even bother to update to the new product lines. That should show you right there there isn't enough demand for someone who already has done the work and has the reputation for a quality product to turn enough profit to stay in the market.

As far as the mags go, how many years have people been asking for higher capacity. The problem is there isn't a huge market out there. Lets face it, the posters here are a minority. They get a HP as a fun plinker, and pick up a mag or two and are satisfied with that, they aren't ARs where a mag maker can make them and sell them like hotcakes to all the gun nuts. There is a limited quality of HP's made each year.

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Geeze Geek...you missed the entire point. I actually meant, WHICH brand of double stack mags?

If you can make a bull pup stock that holds Glock or some other cheap functional double stack in a way that lets the HP bolt strip rounds off, then it will sell.

ATI was NAMED as a bad unit, by HP, as in the use of ATI will void warranties. Its not gone because no one wanted them, its gone because everyone got scared of them, and the TS stock had added rails to let users add better scopes and other stuff easily.

Of course, getting a double stack mag to fit up against the bolt will be an interesting challenge...

5. undeRGRound

INDY
    That needs to be figured out. I would say whatever has the nearest angle or
    slightly higher nose angle, to negate nosedives. Everyone likes GLOCK for the variety of high capacity counts and large number of available mags. But this may not be the best working mag. Some R&D is necessary. A good guess would be some type of double stack 1911 mag, Para-Ordnance makes it and I believe RIA. I say a double stack 1911 because a regular 1911 works well for feed angle in a Hi Point. But likely any proper angle can be made to work, and since it is not confined to the pistol grip, it can be tilted forward or back as needed ;)

As for the ATI stock, it used the same HP mags and/or ProMags, so there was NO IMPROVEMENT. Just extra money down the drain. If this is done correctly, it will improve round count, and make a different style of carbine which can be better balanced and more versatile.

I will work on some basic photo-chop and paint drawings for a visual idea of what I had in mind. If anyone wants to volunteer CAD services, I'm open to that possibility.

Here is Gary's personal favorite Badger M22, and then the basic unit, and a bare stock:

Attached Files:

6. undeRGRound

INDY
    Yeah GEEK! Missed the point! I am proposing using EXISTING MAGS, much like a Keltec Sub2000 does. Common, and proven!

You get the monkey gun punishment :D

(hope the .gif works)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  7. undeRGRound

INDY
    If you are speaking to the width issue, Beretta has narrower double stacks and a more gentle taper from what I have seen... My pistol uplula loader did not work well with these, so I ordered the Beretta unit, it fits much better.
    This is another possibility ;)

Another great thing on the Badger M22 stock, is that an extra mag is stored in the pistol grip, I'm sure that could be accomplished for this project as well...

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    But you do understand that the mags go up inside the metal of the action, and either they have to fit, or the metal has to be machined out, somehow, without losing strength. The mag catch is there as well, so that's another issue.

9. undeRGRound

INDY
    Hopefully FIT. Machining is likely a non-starter for a viable product. If the depth is too great, most or all double stacks will NOT WORK. But I have looked in the carbine magwell, did not see anything (yet) that would kill the project. The grip skeleton in the existing setup would have to be scrapped, however. Too Narrow!

Mag catch is lower, and will likely be copied from the adopted mag.

At this time, I am trying to gauge INTEREST. I have done automotive project of greater difficulty than this, but I did all the fabrication myself :p If machining is needed here, it will be a one-off or None-Off :rolleyes:

10. talon

talon the banned wagon

there's the problem. nothing currently FITS. meaning, there is no options, or we'd all already be using them. you would need a mag manufacturer to produce a new magazine that will fit the action of the HiPoint. noone does. so you're still at ground zero, and have no signs of movement. unless you used bone stock magazine.

11. slade601

slade601 Member

I still think the best idea would be to completely create a new mag thats capable of single stack that leads into a wider double stack mag if possible.

12. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Like the hi cap Makarov mags.

13. Boom! Nailed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

14. Or like Llama Omni 9mm mags. (no, it's not mine...)

[​IMG]

15. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I'd consider buying a carbine like that!

16. bluebone

bluebone Duke of Sarcasm Member

what the hell, i'd give it a shot...so to speak.

17. papataylor

papataylor Member

ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1401892020.116318.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

18. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Hah!!!! A like launcher!

19. You've got my interest, I've loved the Bullpup design since I've first seen them

20. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I'd go for that also but I'd like a lefty version available also 'cause I don't like nibbling on empty shells that much.