Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i was cruising another forum.....don't worry, we've just been on one date, its nothing serious. :-[

I came across this thread http://www.calccw.com/Forums/experiences-stories-while-carrying/6173-nd-thread.html

pretty interesting, I wonder who on this thread would confess to a similar situation. i'll go first

my first happened when i was a teenager and it involved a paintball gun, thank God. weeks before it happened i was shooting with a friend when a paintball broke in the action of the gun. i broke down the gun to a state where it could not be fired, then proceeded to look down the barrel to see if i had cleared the debris. My dad, a vietnam vet who hasn't touched a gun since he served (i'm sure there is a story there) witnessed my action and flew through the door to confront my stupidity. well, since i was a teenager i was sure that i knew more than him. the gun was in fact safe, but i didn't take his reprimand seriously. fast forward a few weeks, i was getting ready to join some friends and i was getting the gun ready for some action. i was in my bedroom and i engaged the CO2, pumped the gun and pulled the trigger. blam, not one but two paintballs slammed into my bedroom wall. the stupidest part was that i pulled the trigger because i suspected that there was a ball in the chamber. after about 10 minutes of cleaning, all was well, and lesson learned....mostly.

the second event happened a couple of weeks ago. I was cleaning my 995, it was my first time cleaning any firearm on my own. I had no ammo nearby and i meticulously checked and rechecked the chamber before disassembling. after reassembling i checked and rechecked everything, racking the slide several times and dry firing. not trusting my skills at reassembling, i retrieved the loaded clip, locked it in and manually cycled the slide, ejecting the live rounds onto the carpeted floor. i made sure that my finger was nowhere near the trigger. after cycling two clips worth, a gathered the live rounds, loaded them back into the clip after accounting for all of them. i stored the clip and then picked up the 995 and without thinking, pulled the trigger......click went the pin, but "OH S*$T" went my brain. I had failed to visually inspect the chamber to confirm there wasn't a live round. thank god there wasn't but I realized the seriousness of the situation as soon as it happened. lesson learned, the "easy way".

·
Registered
128 Posts
pulling the trigger at home always makes me nervous.

best to lose the mag, cycle 3 times, check the chamber, cycle once more, look away for 5 seconds, and then check the chamber again. Sounds stupid and way over done... but safe. And always point in a safe direction. y'all probably know this, tho.

I have to yet (knock on wood) accidentally discharge a weapon by accident.

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pulling the trigger at home always makes me nervous.

best to lose the mag, cycle 3 times, check the chamber, cycle once more, look away for 5 seconds, and then check the chamber again. Sounds stupid and way over done... but safe. And always point in a safe direction. y'all probably know this, tho.

I have to yet (knock on wood) accidentally discharge a weapon by accident.
no such thing as overdone when it comes to this stuff

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Yep you can't be too safe!

·
Registered
88 Posts
If I'm really unsure if there's rounds in my weapon I always run through the following checklist:

1. Take a picture of my weapon and post it online. Someone with a beard bigger than their logician organ will undoubtedly freak the hell out that a PHOTO with the weapon in it isn't locked open and triple zip tied. This voodoo will make me more lucky.
2. Twirl my weapon by the trigger guard cowboy style (hard with a JCP!) and slap at the safety with my other hand. If I can get the safety to disengage without dropping the loaded magazine, check the barrel to make sure I haven't knocked anything into it. Don't mess with the slide, I've heard that racking it too many times can cause the alloy hi-points are made of to split down the middle perfectly cleanly and teleport to ar15.com
3. Do a couple jumping jacks with my magazine in my sock. (loaded of course, I'm the head of the neighborhood watch and need to be prepared. Of course, this is the third sock, not one I'm wearing, the sock I keep my ammo in tied to my belt. If anyone knows how to make it easier to untie a sock in a bank robbery, please PM me. The jumping jacks won't help, because Hi-Point hates jumping jacks, but it's cool, I also shoot WWB sometimes and Hi-Point hates WWB too.
4. Send the weapon in for repair. With a warranty like this, who can refuse? It's 11 dollars and my feelings are probably still hurt from the beard guy from part 1 yelling at me because I dared photograph a weapon that he, miles and miles and miles away deemed improperly examined and or locked open and so I'll send that guy the extra mag I get and keep the sweet, sweet factory note that says in beautiful handwriting "You sent us a loaded weapon, you godforsaken idiot. You're off the list forever."
5. Post a picture of the note online without locking it open or zipties. Take that beard.

G

·
Those are some scary stories in that thread. While I was raised around guns and have shot handguns, rifles, and shotguns more times than I can count, I have never experienced or committed an accidental discharge. But the closest I ever recall coming to witnessing one was a week ago.

A friend of mine purchased a Glock chambered for .40 S&W (his first handgun) and he invited me to join him at the range for his first time shooting it. We both took turns (me with my C9) shooting at targets but on one particular shot things went a little wrong. A spent shell casing from his gun, which ejects up and to the right, bounced off the wall of our stall at the range and bounced nicely into his collar. His shirt was tucked in and I guess the thing was hot because next thing I saw was him, gun in hand, finger on trigger, grasping his shirt with both hands trying to untuck it and get the casing out.
I immediately yelled at him about the trigger and he corrected his error, but I have to think that if he weren't shooting a Glock (with their annoyingly long trigger pull) he could have put some lead in his thigh or foot.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
If I'm really unsure if there's rounds in my weapon I always run through the following checklist:

1. Take a picture of my weapon and post it online. Someone with a beard bigger than their logician organ will undoubtedly freak the hell out that a PHOTO with the weapon in it isn't locked open and triple zip tied. This voodoo will make me more lucky.
2. Twirl my weapon by the trigger guard cowboy style (hard with a JCP!) and slap at the safety with my other hand. If I can get the safety to disengage without dropping the loaded magazine, check the barrel to make sure I haven't knocked anything into it. Don't mess with the slide, I've heard that racking it too many times can cause the alloy hi-points are made of to split down the middle perfectly cleanly and teleport to ar15.com
3. Do a couple jumping jacks with my magazine in my sock. (loaded of course, I'm the head of the neighborhood watch and need to be prepared. Of course, this is the third sock, not one I'm wearing, the sock I keep my ammo in tied to my belt. If anyone knows how to make it easier to untie a sock in a bank robbery, please PM me. The jumping jacks won't help, because Hi-Point hates jumping jacks, but it's cool, I also shoot WWB sometimes and Hi-Point hates WWB too.
4. Send the weapon in for repair. With a warranty like this, who can refuse? It's 11 dollars and my feelings are probably still hurt from the beard guy from part 1 yelling at me because I dared photograph a weapon that he, miles and miles and miles away deemed improperly examined and or locked open and so I'll send that guy the extra mag I get and keep the sweet, sweet factory note that says in beautiful handwriting "You sent us a loaded weapon, you godforsaken idiot. You're off the list forever."
5. Post a picture of the note online without locking it open or zipties. Take that beard.
wow. take a chill pill. on second thought take MANY chill pills. LMAO!

SW

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

"You are talking about the nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind"

Gene Wilder, Young Frakenstein

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Okay heres a story, it happend to my younger brother and not me, I wasn't there either. My brother and his girlfriend went to visit her brother out in the country, when they got there the girls brother had been drinking, he was playing with a small revolver, either a .38 or a .357 I don't remember. My brother had no experience with hand guns and as far as I know had never even touched one. The man dumped the cartridges into his hand and handed the gun to my brother to look at.
My brother "played with" the gun for a minute and went to hand the gun back to the man. When he went to hand the man the gun his finger was on the trigger, I think when the man grabbed the gun he pulled it toward himself causing my brother to pull the trigger. Apparently there was still a round in a cylinder and the gun went off shooting the man in the stomach, the bullet expanded and went through him striking the wall behind him. MY brother kept pressure on the guys wound while they waited for an ambulance to arrive, the paramedics would not go into the house until the police arrived to clear the house. The entire time the man never lost consciousness and when the police arrived he explained to them that it was an accident and it was his fault so my brother wasn't taken to jail. The man was in and out of the hospital for a month or so but I'm pretty sure he made a full recovery. My brother was convicted reckless endangerment with a firearm because there were children in the house.
My brother paid ALOT of money in fines and recently discovered that he owes the man that he shot $5000 in restitution. He has also had to go through alot of therapy after what happend. I'm not sure if the man that owned the gun was ever charged with anything. This was a really stupid thing that never should have happend. I relay wish my brother would have been taught at least some level of firearms safety. We never had guns in the house growing up so we never really knew anything about them. I'm not sure what else to say about it.

EVERY BODY PLEASE BE CAREFULL. THIS STUFF SHOULD BE TOUGHT IN SCHOOLS.

·
Registered
76 Posts
EVERY BODY PLEASE BE CAREFULL. THIS STUFF SHOULD BE TOUGHT IN SCHOOLS.
I live here on the colorado wyoming border, and beleive it or not, it is taught in schools. In Wyoming it is required to graduate high school, while in colorado it is an optional elective. I also HIGHLY reccomend that anyone with children in the house consider looking into a family gun safety program at your local range. They are usually pretty cheap, and go over what to do if you come across a firearm as well as some range time for the older ones. I think familiarity is the key to safety, as the urge to toy around with a gun is greater in the younguns when they are "cool forbidden objects", then when the proper respect for them as a tool is taught.

now on to my "accidental discharge" story...

So, I have been a shooter and gun owner for many years, and have become quite good at it. My first handgun was a ruger p91 in .40. I don't know if many of you are familiar with the ruger p series guns, but they are extremely reliable, and fairly accurate, with something like a 42 pound trigger pull, sa/da so you have soooo long to pull it before it goes bang. Well, I had that gun as well as a few others for several years, and I went up to pop a few rounds off at my buddys place, and to see his new charles daly 1911. Now this guy is a ranch hand, and the ranch owner is a gunsmith and FFL, and when the new gun came in, he set it up like his personal guns, (also shoots IDPA comps), before he handed it down to my friend.

We get out to his little range, and I put two mags through my .40, and my buddy asks if I would like to shoot his new .45 first, as he has already put 50 through it, so I eagerly take the gun and loaded mag with a smile on my face. I put the mag in, rack the slide, and while pointing downrange, and finding my target, I gently rest my finger on the trigger in preperation of squeezing it, and BLAM! Luckily, I am the kind of guy that will not touch the trigger unless the gun is pointed in a safe direction, (read downrange), but I was not expecting the competition trigger with a 6 oz trigger pull. Yes, you read that right, 6 oz trigger pull..... You can breathe hard on it and it will go off with a round in the chamber.

I felt fortunate that all was okay with how it went down, but boy did the possibilities scare me. To have a gun that big and loud go off before I was expecting it almost caused me to drop the dang thing, and made my heart skip a beat. I deffinately reminded me to respect them all and be more carefull....

safe shooting....

Dave

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
I don't think that qualifies as an AD though, but it sure is a lesson in safe gun handling. Glad things turned out in your favor.

Dustin, that sucks for your brother man. Convicted? That's just crap dude. Sorry to hear that.

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't think that qualifies as an AD though, but it sure is a lesson in safe gun handling. Glad things turned out in your favor.

Dustin, that sucks for your brother man. Convicted? That's just crap dude. Sorry to hear that.
well I would say, coming from the school of thought that there are no accidents, only Negligence, I would say that leftwing's story might be the only case I have heard of so far that actually was an accident. he was following all the rules, but the gun fired accidently, not negligently. Anyway, semantics aside, at least yours was ok in the end.

·
Registered
76 Posts

well I would say, coming from the school of thought that there are no accidents, only Negligence, I would say that leftwing's story might be the only case I have heard of so far that actually was an accident. he was following all the rules, but the gun fired accidently, not negligently. Anyway, semantics aside, at least yours was ok in the end.
Yeah, I was really thinking the same thing, not really an accident, as I was about to pull the trigger anyhow, but it was way before I was ready. On my ruger there are three phases to the trigger pull,
1.place finger on trigger in preperation of pull (this is where the 1911 fired...)
2.squeeze trigger
3.give up on squeezing and pull like you are trying to rip it off
then it fires. I like it for that reason, it is a decocker only, so the safety with a chambered round is the rediculous trigger pull.

That same day, about two mags later with that 1911, I tried a draw/unsafe/fire excercise and must not have had the best grip, but the recoil caused my finger to skip off the trigger and I ended up double tapping the trigger and sent a round downrange, but at about 50 or so degrees up, Gotta remember to hold my wrists firmer with that .45.... I don't shoot that gun anymore, and will most likely never own anything with a trigger pull that light. (well, with the exception of the second stage of the two stage rifle trigger...)

D

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, I was really thinking the same thing, not really an accident, as I was about to pull the trigger anyhow, but it was way before I was ready. On my ruger there are three phases to the trigger pull,
1.place finger on trigger in preperation of pull (this is where the 1911 fired...)
2.squeeze trigger
3.give up on squeezing and pull like you are trying to rip it off
then it fires. I like it for that reason, it is a decocker only, so the safety with a chambered round is the rediculous trigger pull.

That same day, about two mags later with that 1911, I tried a draw/unsafe/fire excercise and must not have had the best grip, but the recoil caused my finger to skip off the trigger and I ended up double tapping the trigger and sent a round downrange, but at about 50 or so degrees up, Gotta remember to hold my wrists firmer with that .45.... I don't shoot that gun anymore, and will most likely never own anything with a trigger pull that light. (well, with the exception of the second stage of the two stage rifle trigger...)

D
sounds like you had an exciting day at the range 8)

I shot a friends S&W .45 and I couldn't believe the light pull on that trigger. I got used to it pretty quick, but I was suprised in the beginning.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts

Yep, he got convicted, he got a deferred sentance of one year and the DA told him he could have it removed from his record after he pays the restitution, this has been a big problem for my brother because he is trying to join the air force.

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Yep, he got convicted, he got a deferred sentance of one year and the DA told him he could have it removed from his record after he pays the restitution, this has been a big problem for my brother because he is trying to join the air force.
be careful who you shoot with, and especially be careful who you drink with

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.