Never planned on buying a HP pistol

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by jbear, Jul 18, 2015.

1. jbear

jbear Member

However a few weeks ago my son and I were at a fleamarket and as we were walking out we found a HP 40S&W pistol. Wasn't a great price, $140 with three mags but as I already reload for 40 S&W I bought it on a whim. Stopped by the range and my son loved it. He's on the large side, 6'4"/280 lbs and the bulk of that pistol seemed to fit him like a glove. I'd planned on using that pistol for a truck gun but but now he wants it.

Yesterday I found a C9 with 2 mags for $110. So my son will probably end up with the 40 and the C9 will ride in the vault under the seat of my truck. I'm no stranger to firearms and I've heard all the alleged HP horror stories. However the sight picture is good and the ones I have seem to function reliably with a variety of ammo and all the mags I have for them. I would not want to CCW either of these pistols because of the bulk but I'd have no qualms about sticking one in the night stand for things that go bump in the night.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  2. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    The horror stories get propagated by people who have never handled one. You will be happy with yours for years to come. Congratulations on the deals!

3. histed

histed Supporting Member

What he said. Wife has a C9, brother just got a JHp 45 and I'm getting one as soon as finances allow. I wouldn't want to CCW a HP either, but people do - because they work.

4. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I sold 2 nib C9's to raise cash for other weapons, and 1 each JCP and JHP
    (I had 2 of each, and a 995, 4095, and 4595 when I started 'prepping') due
    to not wanting to "tweak" mags and polish feed ramps. Both guys who bought
    them said they were just fine, no 'tweaks'!

Still have a JCP, JHP and all the carbines. KEEPERS! :D

5. Same here. Gander Mountain made me an offer I couldn't refuse and now I love my C9 like a member of the family.

6. undeRGRound

INDY
    Thumbs UP for No.Georgia Family and C9!
    Gouger Mountain? not so much... :rolleyes:
    Around here, they SUCK!

7. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

Jbear, you'll love your Hi Points. I have a JCP and find it amazingly accurate and reliable (although I've never tried shooting point ammo). Please let us know if you have any JCP or C9 related questions or issues. Lots of fine folks here who can help.

8. rippinryno

rippinryno Well-Known Member

as long as you have other stores near by with good prices gander will always match it. within i believe 30 miles is their claim. I go to gander and look at all the ones i'm interested in, then i go over to the farm stores and cheaper big stores, find the same gun, mark the price and go back to gander lol. if the other stores have the exact gun i want i will buy it there, but sometimes depending on the stocks or other things i will use gander because they tend to have every option not just one single version of a specific model.

9. undeRGRound

INDY
    I buy ammo there occasionally, right now the WWB NATO 9mm is a pretty good price!
    $50 for 150 rounds. 125 grain at 1200 FPS

10. undeRGRound

INDY
    Rippy, that'd be your "357Mag strength" 9mm ;)

:stir: :stir: :stir: :stir: :D

11. Hipointer

Hipointer Member

Pretty much OP. I have carried my C9's, rarely for I have more comfy options, but they function just fine.

12. It was one of their "doorbuster" deals, right at $135 before taxes/fees. That's about as low as any online deal and they acted like they wanted my business. They have a wide selection, but their everyday prices are not low. I always wait for sales.

13. herbd

herbd Member

Only horror stories i ever read were by hi point haters.mine is the first gun i grab when shooting.

14. herbd

herbd Member

Its the one i trust the most

15. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

Never planned on buying a HP pistol!

I have been say that for a few years now, "IF" you say enough times your wife will begin to believe you?

BUT, you gotta say it like you mean it!!!