Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got a Remington 700 LA Chambered in 7mm Mag.

It has ALOT of rust damage on it as it was in a flood if I remember what the guy said right??? I have tore it down and cleaned it. It is in pretty rough shape. So here is the part where I need the sugestion of everyone.

I am thinking of Rechambering it to something else? If I have to get a new bolt and possably a barrel..... I was thinking of going to something like 300 WINMAG. I dont think I can get it too .300 Rem Ultra Mag???? Anyone ever done anything like this??? It shouldnt be all that hard or expensive to have this done???

So what do you guys think?

Pics soon

·
Banned
401 Posts
Its a lot more expensive than you might imagine, I had one of my rifles re chambered from .270 to a .300 win mag, it was an interarms Mark X and the cost of the new barrel and such it ended up costing just shy of $500.00 to have it done...and we didn't need to change the action or bolt! Unless your a smith, it needs to be done by a smith to make sure the head spacing and such is correct..

Dp

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I know quite a few people in the industry that have the tools. I can smith almost all of it myself. Just not sure what I want to do to it...... I hate decisions like this lol

·
Banned
401 Posts
What is it chambered for now? What you can change it to, will depend on action length, I went with the .300 because I didn't have to change actions, but I know issues can come up when going from long to short or short to long actions..

·
Banned
401 Posts
Sorry,

I missed that in your first post! the least expensive would be to chamber for another long action caliber...them actions are getting expensive, just put one on the web for a client and he was wanting $300 for a used .270 action...

·
Registered
773 Posts

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
The only issue I have with any Winchester Magnum caliber is the barrel life is so short, between 5 and 10k rounds. Now, most hunting rifles never see that much shooting, but a caliber like .30-06 would be much more practicle in any regard due to it's higher barrel life. I think it's also better due to commonly found ammo, and the fact that you can doctor your own handloads to do basically whatever you want with it.

.30-06 definately gets my vote.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Oh and you're a sleaze bag for buying that rifle for so cheap!!!!! When you showed it to me, it was in need of some TLC, glad you got it cleaned up!

·
Banned
401 Posts
i wouldn't rechamber it, I sold my 7mm mag a few years back and I have been kicking myself ever since. Get a cheep reloading setup, trust me there are few things more fun then blasting soda cans at 500 yards.
I can think of a few things less fun! Like walking that 500 yards to get back to the bench!!!! Yikes!

:'(

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
the key to this is the bolt face. a 7mm mag bolt head is larger than a 30-06 or any of its deriviative rounds. you have to stick with a round thats the same size. being as the 7 mag is about as small as it ges on that size bolt face, you may want to just rebarrel it to that caliber. another excellent option is 300 winchester magnum.

if you are set on going ot a diferent case size like an 06 deriviative you will need a new bolt head fitted.

SW

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SW That is what I was thinking. I have a .308 already and I dont think there is much in my area that I cannot take down. I am looking to do some very long range stuff with it. I am almost set on 300 WM. Sill have found nothing on weather or not I can get it to 300 RUM....

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
RUM and RSAUM rounds use a odd sized, rebated rim cartridge. ive got some in my collection at home. ill take some pics and post later tonite. so switching to a RUM would also necessetate a bolt head change. For what you have a 300 win mag is about as hot as you want unless you want to move into a 338 or 458 win mag or wildcat it into some like a 338 wildey, 300-375 or a 300-416. You have a good basic magnum action to work with, so the sky (and your wallet) are the limit.

SW

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I need to get some pics of it up!! Im a slacker. I guess that is what happens when you are in 3 states in 2 days???

I will have to change the bolt regardless. It is pitted really bad. I want to stay away from the wildcat if I can help it... It looks like 300 WM is what I will be going with.... Or just getting a new 7mm barrel>>> Who knows lol

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well the reciever is really what I got it for it is in great shape. I figured for 100 I could not go wrong? The bolt is the worst part on the gun. It is pitted up. The bolt head looks to be in good shape but I dont want to risk it?? I have had a few smith buds look at it and they said it should be fine to fire but that is just a once over... If it does go up 7mm is alot of bang to have my ugly mug deal with.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts