new 223 remington loads.

Discussion in 'Reloading Room' started by greg_r, Feb 20, 2016.

1. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Working up some light loads for my H&R 223. Need to go see how they do. Looking for 22 magnum performance.

Attached Files:

2. Asher1

Asher1 Member

When I first looked at those rounds, the thought popped into my head... "it must be really cold in that room"

Good luck, what powder you using? Since the bullet gr is so light I am guessing a heavy crimp or faster burning powder is going to be in order...

Keep us posted...

3. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    100,000 comedians out of work, and HE'S TELLING JOKES? :rofl:

Attached Files:

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I did a few of those using 40 grain spitzers.
    Not enough power to cycle an AR, but on paper, they were supposed to be under 2000 fps.
    I thought I had written it down but I can't find my recipe anywhere.:(

But it's doable.;)

5. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

The Swedes did a lot of similar for 100 years or so with the 6.5X55mm.
    Little hollow cup bullet on left is the m/12. 9gr with mv of about 1673. The other two were heavier bullets and velocities I do not know right now. Used for training. Started with the m/12 and worked up by steps before full rounds were allowed.

But, they used a very fast burning powder we do know.

Attached Files:

• 652.jpg
      652.jpg
      File size:
      18.3 KB
      Views:
  6. greg_r

The bullet is not really that light. It's the C225-55-RF, otherwise known as the "22 Bator" . Named after the designer of the mold. .225 caliber, 55 grain, flat nosed, gas check. Its a fairly cylindrical found nose design with a lot of bearing surface. The mold was made by Lee and offered for sale by Midsouth Shooters Supply a few years ago.

The bullets are seated deep to be just off the rifling. Any deeper and the bullet jams in the rifling when you close the action. They are powered by Unique powder, and they are not crimped. Velocity should be around 1800 fps.

These were a good bullet in a 22 Hornet rifle I used to have, and we're intended for a wildcat that never came to be. They are good performers on small game and varmits.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  7. greg_r

These are not intended to be able to cycle an MSR, they might, but I would be surprised if they even made enough gas. These are for my single shot Handi rifle.

These have been made to work in an MSR though. In my case, these are to replicate the 22 Squirrel, a wildcat based on the 22 Hornet case, basically a shortened 22 K-Hornet. Here is a download showing the 22 Squirrel next to a 22 Magnum.

Attached Files: