New 40 need help\advive

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by cpudoc, Feb 6, 2016.

1. cpudoc

cpudoc Member

Hi everyone,

I ventured out of my comfort zone and bought a HP 40. Brand new, I am a 9mm guy(insert joke here) but wanted something bigger. So I like the feel and general operation but, the mag seems to catch on something when ejecting. I'm not looking for "Bruce Willis" drop action but I seem to have to almost twist it out after the catch releases. I stripped last night figuring that there may be a bur somewhere but found nothing. I cycled it in and out a multitude of times looking for wear marks and observed none.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ps; I own many pistols (all Rugers) and never had this hard of a mag change.

2. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    :welcome:cpudoc!!!
    Everyone should have at least 6 mags per handgun, and 2 will not break
    the bank, about $39 direct... I'd try that, but if you are not seeing any
    wear marks, it's hard to say. I have noticed some make you press the
    release to insert a mag, but they all have dropped freely, in my experience.

Someone else will be here soon to help, hopefully!

3. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

(Yells) Ajoleeeee! Over here, please! :D

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I got nothing...maybe the mag catch isn't fully releasing? Look inside the mag well, press the catch, see if the thing fully disappears?

None of mine drop free, but they pull out easily.

5. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Mine drop free most of the time, but I squeezed the sides of the mag body together because that's where the wear marks were.

6. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Exactly what I did with both my 9 and 40 mags. I'd say 80% of the time they drop free. Every now and then they do still stick, but pull out easy.

Like Ajole said, maybe the mag catch. That would be the only thing sticking where you should have to yank on it... ok that didn't sound right but you know what I mean...

Oh and :welcome: by the way. Hope you figure it out and if you do please let us know.

7. cpudoc

cpudoc Member

Thanks guys for the welcomes and the quick replies, I have ordered a couple of mags hoping that fixes it. They should be here Monday or Tuesday, I will let y'all know.

8. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

Mine always drop free. Never had a problem.

Bad machining on the mag catch? Or is that just a straight MIM casting?