New 40 S&W bowed grips

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by BCseacow83, Dec 30, 2015.

1. BCseacow83

BCseacow83 Member

So I purchased my first hand gun, the Hi Point JCP 40 S&W. Took it to the range and all is well, functioned flawlessly which makes me smile. I have noticed that in my excitement of purchasing I did not look the gun over as well as I would have liked to. The right hand grip is slightly bowed out where it meets the backstrap(I believe this is the proper term for essentially the rear of the handgun if not I apologize still learning.) The space is enough that you could slip a dime in there with a little effort.

This has NOT effected the function of the gun and perhaps this is normal. If that is the case no problem. If this is not the case I will contact Hi Point but wanted to check with everyone here. Thank you!

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Yep, not normal.
    Mom should replace them by mail, for free.
    Are they black or hydrodipped?

3. I did the same thing with my new .38 back in October.What with my excitement and a half dozen people lined up behind me,I got home and noticed a gap in the grips.Rather than fool around with contacting Rossi,I sanded the middle part of both grips down and it fixed the gap.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

4. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    My guess. Something (most likely the mag safety) is out of place. Remove the grip and make sure all the parts are sitting where they should. Replace the grip seating it as best you can and tighten the screw nice n snug. Don't over tighten it or you'll strip the hole. If that don't fix it call MoM and get a new pair.

5. I was watching a new HP youtube video this morning with a guy changing his grips.Rather than replacing them 1 at a time,he took both off at the same time and the mag safety and mag release parts fell out.I can see how that would make a bulge if reassembled wrong.

6. elt51932

elt51932 Member

My jhp was the same way, and my mag was popping out after every shot. So I called mom, they shipped me a new right side grip and a new mag catch. Received them in 3 days. Replaced everything ,and the grip is still bowed out. The gun fires fine without popping the mag now, so I'm not worried about it.

7. BCseacow83

BCseacow83 Member

I will remove and take a look. The gun fires perfectly which is good of course. I will also contact MOM. I appreciate the help everyone thank you.

8. Hipointer

Hipointer Member

Congrats on the new .40! Got any pics? ;)

9. Irishfanatik

Irishfanatik Supporting Member

Congratulations on your new gun! The 40jcp was my first hi point pistol. I'm sure that you will love it, just like many of us. You will definitely love the Iberia customer service if you have to use it.

10. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    :welcome:BCseacow83!!!

11. BCseacow83

BCseacow83 Member

No pics as of yet as believe it or not I have no camera on my phone or otherwise. So I removed the right grip and everything appears to be where it should be. The more I look at it the more it looks like the grip is simple molded with a little bow in it. the bowing is on the lower half of the right grip where it meets the backstrap. If the grip had a screw on the lower half as well there would be no bowing if that makes sense. Going to contact MOM when I get back. One of the reasons I felt so comfortable buying the Hi Point was all the great reports I read about regarding the customer service Iberia provides. That combined with the great price and the fact that I love the way hi points look made it an easy decision. Thank you for the warm welcome!

12. elt51932

elt51932 Member

Like this I assume?

Attached Files:

13. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Is it actually warped or is there excess plastic on the backside? Could just be a bit of flash they missed. BTW, this is flash.

[​IMG]

"The injection molded part defect known as Flash is that thin layer of plastic that flows outside of the cavity where the two halves of the injection mold meet."

14. BCseacow83

BCseacow83 Member

Looks exactly like this just about an inch lower. Thank you that explains it significantly better than words.