New 4095 owner

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by hdjohn, May 29, 2015.

1. hdjohn

hdjohn Member

Just picked up my first Hi Point 4095 the other day. Got a free box of flat nose as well. Probably try it out this weekend, getting used to the left side charging handle. Going to be fun.

2. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

Welcome, from the great southwest!

3. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    WELCOME!
    IMO, the 4095 is likely the best choice for te Hi Point Carbine.
    Holds 10 rounds (4595 holds 9) generally has a higher muzzle energy, with
    most loadings and the ammo is cheaper. While there is no +P rating for 40 S&W,
    the upscale ammo brands like Underwood, Cor-Bon, Double Tap, Buffalo Bore, etc.
    all have hotter rounds through "full pressure" loads that outperform lesser brands.
    All HP firearms are +P rated, so full pressure 40 S&W should be no problem! :cool:

4. hdjohn

hdjohn Member

Thanks for that info. I could have sworn there's some +P out there in .40, maybe some off brand that's not too well known?

5. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

There is actually. Buffalo Bore has 155-grain .40 ammo it lists as +p. The reason being is the 180gr round is generally loaded light to account for the minor variations during manufacturing. The 180gr takes up more case thereby the potential for an overpressure round is greater when the max charge is used. You also run the risk of having a compressed load with a 180gr projectile. Those can get ugly.

I'm planning on transitioning away from reloading the 180gr rounds and moving to the 165gr round for my 4095. It will give me a bit more room in the case to properly tailor a recipe for them allowing for a higher velocity and increase the potential energy on target.

6. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

I have a 4095 also..plus a couple other .40's. After having shot a couple thousand rnds I think all .40 stuff is +P or might as well be. Every brand I've shot is some really hot $hit. Do yourself and me a favor and mix up a couple mags of different .40 rnds (of different lengths if you can), and see if you get a fail to feed with any of them. I did, but haven't had the time or location to sort it out yet. WW 250 rnd yellow box stuff flowed flawlessly though as fast as I could pull the little thingy under the lower, which is a crappy trigger at that. But, we all know that.

7. undeRGRound

INDY
    Let me clarify, no official SAAMI Spec for 40 S&W +P.

(in PSI)
    9mm: .....35,000
    9mm +P:.38,500 (+10%)
    40 S&W:..35,000
    10mm:....37,500 (7.1% over 40 S&W)

RACH has the right idea, 180gr 40 S&W needs tight QC or a Ka-BOOM could happen, even at normal SAAMI pressure specs. IMO the safe way would be to use shortened 10mm cases but those are only manufactured for a minor pressure increase.

8. hdjohn

hdjohn Member

I'll be trying the Armscor 155 FMJ that the gun shop gave me as well as the Win Ranger 135 JHP I use in my Sigma for starters. Good info guys, thanks.

John

9. undeRGRound

INDY
    Can you imagine a specialty reloader offering a 200 gr. bullet in 40 S&W? I have seen it, and it was from one of the big names. I do not recall offhand, however... :confused:

10. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I've seen them before. I actually considered buying some, and had a recipe all lined up, but chickened out and went with what was working the best in my 4095. I wouldn't mind hand tailoring my own +p load for a 165gr bullet just to see how far I could push it.

11. undeRGRound

INDY
    I'd say maybe up to 1400 FPS and 700 ft-# M.E.
    That is what Underwood is getting with a 165 gr. in the 10mm which is
    roughly what a 40 S&W could expect if there was a +P rating, IMO

http://www.underwoodammo.com/10mm-auto-165-grain-full-metal-jacket-box-of-50/?faceted_search=0

Add a bit of FPS and ME for the carbine, however ;)

Trimming down 10mm brass would make it Very Safe, IMO :cool: