New 4095?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by Fishstick, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Fishstick

Fishstick Member

I've got a new 4095 TS and I mostly like it but I find all of the rails and plastic to make it heavier than what I'd prefer. I have ordered a red dot sight to replace the iron peeps. Is there anyone that has stripped this carbine down that could point me in the right direction. I know that the front sight will come off and I see no problem with that. The bottom rail I can do without. The top rail is twice as long as I'd prefer. can the top half of the forestock come off without causing problems? Anything to lighten the load would be appreciated.

2. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Front sight and the rail along the barrel is about it without altering the structure of the stock. You could pull the stock top rail and mount a shorter one to the receiver, but that's about it. If you're willing to remove the upper hand guard completely, you might consider shaving down the ribs and making the entire front of the stock smooth...

3. Fishstick

Fishstick Member

Those are some good suggestions. I didn't think about removing the ribs on the plastic. I don't want to compromise the overall integrity of the gun but I'm really not into all the accessory hardware and curb appeal. I just want a lighter less bulky machine. You'd think HiPoint would be more adept with a less bulky version. I guess they know what sells though.

4. Rachgier

We've had guys chop the butt stock and mount a folder, mount collapsible M4 style stocks, all grades of stuff.

5. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
  6. Fishstick

Fishstick Member

Another question, .40 cal FMJ, does it have a lead core? Could a fellow hollow out the flat nose of the bullet and make a semi-hollow point for some expansion? Is the bullet too slow for this?

7. Rachgier

Yes to the lead core, you can also get plated RNFP. I would stick to cast, plated, or jacketed ammo (JHP + FMJ if it were me. I suppose, if you were feeling frisky you could take some plated RNFP's and take the nose off and make it a JSP (Jacketed Soft Point), but I doubt you have the velocity to get it to open up. A semi-wadcutter should do what I think you're looking for.

8. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    It is lead, you could do it but there are cheap hollow points available
    in all calibers that probably are more than worth your time, and I'd
    say most likely work better too. Before cheap commercial hollow
    points were commonly available, guys use to make Dum-Dums,
    I believe they would make a shallow X-cut on the tip of the bullet,
    which caused some expansion. You could do that with 2 or even 3
    cuts, 3 would give the "6 Petal Shape" of modern day JHP bullets.

I have a good friend (Gun Bunny) who did this with heavy lead
    bullets for Bowling Pin Matches. It did keep the bullets from
    going completely through the pins, and hit harder.

9. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

It appears you want to make SD ammo. Just buy some quality Self Defense ammo.
    I don't recommend modifying any commercial ammo. Particularly if used for any Defensive purposes. The Courts would likely hang you out to dry after a shooting
    incident!!

10. Fishstick

Fishstick Member

Yes to the velocity. I just have a large amount of FMJ and wondered if I could make some expanding ammo out of some of it. Probably be more time and cost wise to just buy a few boxes of Silvertip HPs. Then I can melt the barrel with the FMJs

11. Rachgier

I am an oddball. I shot a mix of JHP, FMJ, and plated in the beginning. I break in new firearms with factory ammo and save the brass. I also reload and the 180gr plated RNFP are cheap and effective. I don't get in to the whole expansion comparisons, SD vs practice, etc. I'm not done shooting until the threat is gone.

12. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

I alternate between HP and FMJ.

13. Rachgier

Yeah, E said you went both ways...

14. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Go as light as you wish. This is my 995ts, but you get the idea.

Attached Files:

15. Fishstick

Fishstick Member

There you go that's what I'm looking for. Did you do the mods yourself?

16. cicpup

Vermont
  17. Fishstick

Fishstick Member

Very nice sicpup. Thanks for the headsup on your evolution link. Lots of ideas popping up now. Where did you get the new shoulder stock? How much did you reduce the weight from original?

18. cicpup

Vermont
    Ebay & Between the metal folder and the barrel shroud I'm not really sure I reduced it any at all but it sure is maneuverable and a bast to shoot one handed.

19. ndindy

ndindy Member

Looks like it would fit right in a miami vice episode! That's not a slam in any way, looks good.