Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up by brand new 4095TS carbine yesterday and it seems to have a problem. After installing the charging handle, the bolt will not slide all the way to the rear to lock it in the open position. I expected it to be a little stiff at first, but it feels like the bolt is hitting something and preventing it from sliding all the way back. It's impossible to lock open. Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Premium Member
36,969 Posts
First, the obvious things. And these aren’t comments on your ability, we have seen people make these mistakes.

Did you ever take it apart?

Is the bolt handle installed correctly, with the narrow end toward the cover?
And then, did you crank it down WAY to hard?

If those are not the issue, we can move to the next possibilities.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate any help I can get because HP customer service isn't back until Monday. No, I did not take it apart. The carbine is brand new from the factory and I just picked it up from the dealer on Wednesday. I began familiarizing myself with yesterday and installed the charging handle. I did not crank it down hard, only snugged it past being finger-tight. I expect the spring to be stiff in a brand new gun, but it takes a lot of strength to slide the bolt to the rear. It will not go all the way to lock it in the open position.

·
Resident PITA
16,314 Posts
Charging bolt is too tight.

·
Registered
56 Posts
How far back is it getting?

When you look at the bolt through the ejection port, how much further would it have to go before the magazine follower engages the pieces that trigger the hold open?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm very confused. Apparently I'm not familiar enough with the way it's supposed to operate. I wasn't using a magazine in the well. The bolt would not open all the way to lock. But after reading your post, I put in an empty magazine and the bolt went all the way to the rear and locked open. But now the bolt won't close with the magazine in or out! What am I doing wrong?.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm very confused. Apparently I'm not familiar enough with the way it's supposed to operate. I wasn't using a magazine in the well. The bolt would not open all the way to lock. But after reading your post, I put in an empty magazine and the bolt went all the way to the rear and locked open. But now the bolt won't close with the magazine in or out! What am I doing wrong?.
The bolt was going all the way back, it just wasn't locking since it's behaving like any other semi-automatic gun with no magazine in the thing.

There is no manual bolt lock/release on a Hi-Point. The only way to get the bolt to lock back is by having an empty magazine in the mag well so the follower activates the hold open. With the bolt locked open it works like almost every other semi-automatic firearm where you pull back on it with no magazine in it to close on an empty chamber, or do the same with a loaded magazine to chamber a round to shoot.

One important thing to note about Hi-Points, the firing pin is also used as the ejector, so don't hand cycle rounds through the thing.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,402 Posts
The bolt was going all the way back, it just wasn't locking since it's behaving like any other semi-automatic gun with no magazine in the thing.

There is no manual bolt lock/release on a Hi-Point. The only way to get the bolt to lock back is by having an empty magazine in the mag well so the follower activates the hold open. With the bolt locked open it works like almost every other semi-automatic firearm where you pull back on it with no magazine in it to close on an empty chamber, or do the same with a loaded magazine to chamber a round to shoot.

One important thing to note about Hi-Points, the firing pin is also used as the ejector, so don't hand cycle rounds through the thing.
You know he is talking about a carbine. The handle does lock back. The little spinning thing part locks into the bolt cover. Hence the cut out.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You know he is talking about a carbine. The handle does lock back. The little spinning thing part locks into the bolt cover. Hence the cut out.
From his initial post, sounded like he couldn't figure out how to get the bolt to lock open, with the problem being he didn't have an empty magazine in the thing.

After that it sounds like he got it locked back, but couldn't get the bolt released since there's no bolt release, and you have to do the equivalent of sling shotting a pistol slide, by pulling the the bolt back again, with an empty mag well so the follower doesn't keep locking it open.

I would guess he's a new gun owner learning things for the first time, but we all started with what we knew at first and have learned :)

If by spinning thing you mean the charging handle, can you post a picture of how it would be used to lock the bolt back? On the Hi-Point carbine I have there's just a straight slot for the handle, and the bolt itself doesn't rotate even if there were a notch for the handle to lock into, although I am going from memory here since I put the thing into a HTA bullpup stock a while ago (the HTA stock does have a notch that you can use with it's relocated charging handle and lock the thing open.)

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,402 Posts
From his initial post, sounded like he couldn't figure out how to get the bolt to lock open, with the problem being he didn't have an empty magazine in the thing.

After that it sounds like he got it locked back, but couldn't get the bolt released since there's no bolt release, and you have to do the equivalent of sling shotting a pistol slide, by pulling the the bolt back again, with an empty mag well so the follower doesn't keep locking it open.

I would guess he's a new gun owner learning things for the first time, but we all started with what we knew at first and have learned :)

If by spinning thing you mean the charging handle, can you post a picture of how it would be used to lock the bolt back? On the Hi-Point carbine I have there's just a straight slot for the handle, and the bolt itself doesn't rotate even if there were a notch for the handle to lock into, although I am going from memory here since I put the thing into a HTA bullpup stock a while ago (the HTA stock does have a notch that you can use with it's relocated charging handle and lock the thing open.)
The handle goes into the circle slot at the rear licking back the bolt. No I'm not going to do a search, download the image, then edit the image with a editing program to high light the receiver shroud for you. I cant tell you to google it. But.... its the whole point of the handle spinning thing being the same dimension of the slot.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The handle goes into the circle slot at the rear licking back the bolt. No I'm not going to do a search, download the image, then edit the image with a editing program to high light the receiver shroud for you. I cant tell you to google it. But.... its the whole point of the handle spinning thing being the same dimension of the slot.
I actually did search for a picture and what I saw was a rounded area in the slot, but nothing that could be used to physically lock the bolt back. The area in question is where I would guess the charging handle to be when the bolt is locked open, but there's nothing I see with the slot that could be used to actually lock it open.

Was asking if you could post a picture since I will be the first to admit that I don't know everything, so there could be something for me to learn on this one, especially since I converted mine into a bullpup and can't test it out for myself.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,402 Posts
I actually did search for a picture and what I saw was a rounded area in the slot, but nothing that could be used to physically lock the bolt back. The area in question is where I would guess the charging handle to be when the bolt is locked open, but there's nothing I see with the slot that could be used to actually lock it open.

Was asking if you could post a picture since I will be the first to admit that I don't know everything, so there could be something for me to learn on this one, especially since I converted mine into a bullpup and can't test it out for myself.
The handle locks in that slot on the back. Thats why it spins loosely. Did you not fire it before you put it in the high tower.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The handle locks in that slot on the back. Thats why it spins loosely. Did you not fire it before you put it in the high tower.
Here's a picture from Hi-Point's website of a 4095TS. So you're saying the shallow rounded area of the slot is supposed to hold the round, and spinning, charging handle back?

The charging handle also screws into the bolt, and the bolt doesn't rotate, so even if there were a bigger slot it couldn't be used.
Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Shotgun

·
Resident PITA
16,314 Posts
Here's a picture from Hi-Point's website of a 4095TS. So you're saying the shallow rounded area of the slot is supposed to hold the round, and spinning, charging handle back?

The charging handle also screws into the bolt, and the bolt doesn't rotate, so even if there were a bigger slot it couldn't be used.
View attachment 76642
Look close at that pic and you might notice the knob that's attached to the charging bolt. That's the round spinny thing (as moona so eloquently puts it) that fits in the slot. If yours doesn't work that way, then it's either missing or you have the damn thing installed upside down.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Look close at that pic and you might notice the knob that's attached to the charging bolt. That's the round spinny thing (as moona so eloquently puts it) that fits in the slot. If yours doesn't work that way, then it's either missing or you have the damn thing installed upside down.
Maybe I read moona's response wrong, but I got the impression he was saying the charging handle is what locks the bolt back by being physically locked by the slot.

This thread was started by the OP because he was having problems understanding how the bolt hold open works on a Hi-Point, which is done completely by internal parts.

·
Premium Member
36,969 Posts
Maybe I read moona's response wrong, but I got the impression he was saying the charging handle is what locks the bolt back by being physically locked by the slot.

This thread was started by the OP because he was having problems understanding how the bolt hold open works on a Hi-Point, which is done completely by internal parts.
No….it isn’t done completely that way unless you have a mag in.
And no Moonz didn’t say anything about the bolt locking open after emptying the mag. He’s talking about manually locking the bolt to the rear, by hand, independently of the LRHO, the magazine, or the condition of that magazine.

So yes…..you ABSOLUTELY can lock the bolt back by simply pushing the narrow round end of the charging handle into the rounded cut out at the rear of the slot once you rack it to the rear.
Before the LRHO was added, that was the only way to lock it back.
See the rounded “hole”?

See the smaller diameter bit of material at the left of the handle, that gets put into the hole?

Once you do that, you release it by simply pulling out on the charging handle, and letting go.

But the OP seems to be having trouble getting it to go far enough to allow that.
Or, he didn’t know about that, and thought the LRHO was the only way to lock it back, and since he had no mag in, it wasn’t engaging.

My bet is, it works fine, but like you…he didn’t know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

No….it isn’t done completely that way unless you have a mag in.
And no Moonz didn’t say anything about the bolt locking open after emptying the mag. He’s talking about manually locking the bolt to the rear, by hand, independently of the LRHO, the magazine, or the condition of that magazine.

So yes…..you ABSOLUTELY can lock the bolt back by simply pushing the narrow round end of the charging handle into the rounded cut out at the rear of the slot once you rack it to the rear.
Before the LRHO was added, that was the only way to lock it back.
See the rounded “hole”?

See the smaller diameter bit of material at the left of the handle, that gets put into the hole?

Once you do that, you release it by simply pulling out on the charging handle, and letting go.

But the OP seems to be having trouble getting it to go far enough to allow that.
Or, he didn’t know about that, and thought the LRHO was the only way to lock it back, and since he had no mag in, it wasn’t engaging.

My bet is, it works fine, but like you…he didn’t know.

Hey guys, thanks very much for all the help and advice you offered me yesterday. Thanks to you, I was finally able to figure out my problem. There was nothing wrong with my new carbine. It was all "operator error." You see, I'm an old Marine who spent years using the M14 and M16, but I've had no recent experience with more "modern" firearms. Well, this carbine functions a little differently than those weapons, so it took me a while to figure that out. I kept trying to lock the bolt open without having a magazine in the well, not realizing that the magazine is necessary to do that. Once I was tipped off to that, it made all the difference and everything else fell into place. All is well now. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
22,318 Posts
My first carbine was a 4095. I was waiting for my back ground check to come back. I screwed the charging handle into the right side. Couldn't get it to go all the way to the rear. It was hitting the dust cover...................the dealer told me, "wrong side."

• Haha
Reactions: ajole
1 - 20 of 22 Posts