New 45 JHP triger pull changes when warm

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by leadman, Jul 2, 2014.

1. leadman

leadman Member

I bought a new 45 JHP several months back and have run into a strange problem with the trigger pull.
    Since new the trigger gets stiffer the more you fire it, until it is almost to hard to pull. I do not fire mag after mag to overheat the gun, maybe 15 to 20 rounds in 15 minutes or so, then a 15 to 20 minute break. I shoot on a public range with breaks scheduled ever 15 minutes.
    I have smoothed out the ends of the metal pieces under the right grip and lubed the mechanisms. The trigger pull is acceptable when the pistol is first fired. The trigger pull does return to this acceptable pull once it is cooled back down.
    I'm not a gunsmith but have worked on many firearms including rebarreling bolt action rifles, drill & tap receivers, forge bolt handles, etc.
    I do plan on sending it in but thought maybe others here have had this same issue.

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    That's really odd. Never heard of it.

3. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I've shot my JHP a till the barrel was to hot to touch and I had to let it cool down for 20 min before putting it in my range bag.

Before I tinkered with it the trigger pull was all over the place.

I have no idea what's going on with yours.

Sounds like something is expanding because of heat but what ?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  4. leadman

leadman Member

Guess i'll take it apart again and hope something shows up. If it doesn't I'll ship back to Hi-Point.

5. leadman

leadman Member

I might have found the problem. The polymer frame is warped inward where the trigger linkages meet. This is right next to the right side of the magazine which tends to push the polymer out against the trigger linkage.
    I'll finish cleaning it tomorrow, reassemble it and ship it off.

6. RobbK

RobbK Member

I am wondering if the trigger bar is warping in the heat preventing it from pivoting correctly on the sear.

7. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Something tells me it's the frame, as he suggested in the previous post.

8. RobbK

RobbK Member

DOH i missed that post and yes that sounds right.