New .45 , new member , paint inside bore ?

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by SinStp, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Hello all , long time lurker , first time poster. I finally got a JHP today and while checking it out I found what looks like paint or some type of coating inside the barrell. It is flaking in spots so I ran a brush through it a couple of times but it is pretty stubborn. Im not sure what it is but the gun is supposed to be new. looks new. I decided to put a round through it to see if it would clean up but it pretty much looks the same. I just dont want to mess up the bore or get a bullet lodged in the bore. Should i call hi-point or is this just a coating in new guns ? thanks

2. Welcome to the forum, your case is a first to me, it is possible I suppose that a barrel got painted on the inside by mistake when they were painting the outside.

If you already put a round through it and it fired ok I personally would not worry about it. Get some Hopes number 9 or some other bore cleaner and scrub the bore good with a copper brush and see if it cleans up

Good Luck!

3. Ari

Ari Guest

First one for me too.. Inside? Hummmm I sure wish I could see that... Any chance of some photos? Call Hi-Point it wont hurt to call them, but it does not sound like it is any big deal if it shot ok.

4. elguapo

elguapo Guest

As owner of two JHPs....paint INSIDE?

Pics would be great...

5. 1motion

1motion Guest

JHP owner here too.... never seen or heard of this before, i would call hi point

6. First tim hearing of paint on the inside. Call Hi-point, I'm sure you'll get a ne barrel if needed.

7. As long as the inside of the barrel doesnt have any pits and the rifling looks ok, I would give it a thourogh cleaning and not worry about it.

Thats just me though