Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LOVE my new .45!

i shot about 50 rounds through and punching fair groups already, but darned if I can bring my groups higher.

My first target shown below... it took me a clip or so to adjust things near where I wanted them, but now I have the ring fully elevated & still 3-4 inches too low?

Am I turning the screw wrong direction, holding the gun wrong maybe. I can hold-high and punch where I want, but that's no good.

I put two full mags into that mess BELOW the target, but can only hit the orange when i hold-high. Even the face-shot was held dead between the eyes, but look at the drop...

I'm new to .45 ACP (up from 9mm) so I assume there's a learning curve, but i need some ideas please.

G

·
i dont know how you adjusted your sights but if your hitting low then you should raise the rear sight. if youve raised it as far as it will go and your still hittin low then you may have to talk to hi point about gettin it fixed. how far out do you set your target? and do you put the front post in the center of the ring when your aiming? it also may help to try some different ammo

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm having the problem with my .40. Everything was fine with the stock sights. After 4-5 months, I decided to try the ghost ring. I have it maxed out in height, but it shoots low. I hate to part with it, but I guess I need to send it in. ~sniff~ :'(

·
Registered
85 Posts
how are yall lineing up the sights. also i think there is a front and back to the ghost ring(someone correct me if i'm wrong please). don't know if it would make any difference but it might.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
regards to the sight-
there is a front and back to the ghost ring site, it must be installed correctly.
now, Coyote, I tried the ghost ring site and didn't like it either. I had similar issues with hitting lower after raising the sight.. I was also careful and only raised the rear sight assembly 1 click at a time..

BUT then when I maxed it out at the top and when I went to lower it again I went too far and damaged the sight assembly. LUCKILY we have Hi Points so I made a quick call to the .45 JHP mfg plant and asked for a new rear sight assembly and they sent me one for free and it arrived in 3 days. I didnt need to send anything in.

After I got it I kept the original sight on it and did not put the ghost ring on it. Then at the range I adjusted the rear sight up 2 clicks and was dead aim again at 40 ft. - as long as I shot correctly ^-^

regards to the low drops from where you aim on the target -
the target below helps me out..

- also, what ammo are you using?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I love the ghost ring on my JHP, but not on my C9.
From what I recall, the inside of the ring has small points on the sides.
I adjusted mine for this sight picture.

Sorry, art was not one of my best subjects....

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MAN, what a great forum! So many good answers in such a short time!

I'll check them out & get back to ya'll.

That's the sight pic I has set for too HouLlama, but it helps to know at least I'm good on that.

I installed the ring with the points toward the target, (hollow-end toward me)... i'll check the instr. again & get back to the forum.

What a helpful guide that picture is Budddha, i've ne'r seen that b4! I'll hafta print a copy & carry to the range w/me.

Thanks so much everyone... keep ya posted.
-UGLY

G

·
My father used the ghost ring on his 45 and had a lot of trouble with it. I had it on my C9 for a while and it worked fine. We found that it was quicker to accuire the target without the ghost ring so we took them off. It seems that some folks have trouble with the ghost ring when others have no problem with it at all.
That does not resolve your issue, but I thought I would give some input on what I have experienced.

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks Plinker, it's good to know.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hey,
Just my 2 cents, but my JHP shot about 4" low and to the left when I got it. The sites where all the way up and as far right as they would go. I shot several hundred rounds though it of various ammo trying to break it in and straighten out the problem. Finally I talked to Russ at Haskell, He said send it in, Long story. I got it back one week to the day with an extra mag, a nice note and a gun that shoots 2 1/2" 25 yrd groups right where I point it. Give them a call the will make it right. Just make sure the problem isn't you first. By the way the original groups were all at 7yrds.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds like sound advise John H, thanks.

Just to find-out if it's "me", break-in, or some combination of the two, I re-installed the 3-dot sights. Will spend some range time & see how it goes.

I'm expecting the std sights will fix the problem, cuz I looked it over and measuring fm center of windage screw to top of 3-dot, and same to points in ring, are easily 1/16" lower for the ring. Obviously this would require raising the elev. screw to ctr on target.

I'll prolly end-up calling them, since maybe they packed the wrong ring? Maybe they vary in ht for the various pistols?? I like the idea of the ghost-ring a lot & enjoyed shooting with it, but since I'm so new to .45 I suspect it'd be wise to shore-up on my method before I go trying new gadgets.

So i think my current resolution to this will be:
1) call Haskel & inquire about the measure of the ghost ring - is it the correct part?
2) spend some break-in and practice time - get the bugs worked out of ME b4 I blame what seems to be a fine weapon.

my thanks to everyone! Maybe I'll give the ring another try in a month or two & let ya know how it went. If the US military and cannesfan are happy w/it it can't be all-bad, right?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm gonna send it in. I've ran several hundred rounds through it with the regular sights and had no issues. I shot out the small man when I qualified with it for my ccl test. Even if I put the ring on backwards, (I'm sure I didn't) it still wouldn't change the elevation. It's just spun around 180 degrees. Not near enough to make my 5" variation. I can't 'splain it. The ring seems much taller than reg sight. just wierd. I think I'll take it off, and reinstall just as a last ditch before mailing. :'(

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I had that problem with the ghost ring sight on the JHP .45, and I never could get it right. I ended up just going back to the 3 dot sights because I didn't like the ghost ring sight picture that much anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
UPDATE:
1) i re-intalled the 3-dot & am working on adjusting ME to .45 ACP... off to a good start.

2) i called Haskel & they are sending me a new sight-ramp, insisting there is but one ghost ring, so it cannot be the wrong one for the JHP... ok, dunno what that should help though, except perhaps to ease switching back & forth... (i think some re-design is in order)

unrelated: I installed a bike innertube on the handle... gosh, it looks toughER & certainly aids the grip more than I anticipated (thanks again HPFF posts)

3) i'll try the ghost-ring again some day, i like the sight picture.

-UGLY

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
unrelated: I installed a bike innertube on the handle.
-UGLY
this was my first version :
http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/index.php/topic,9558.msg140169.html#msg140169

that was one layer under, then another on top, then the strips to simulate that 'ribbed grip feel' (yeah, I know that sounded funny) of the Taurus PT24/7 models. Since then I have added the single air tube inbetween the first 2 layers to provide a little more something for my hand to wrap around and it feels so natural to hold now.

you can see it in this pic of both of my Hi Points:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v162/Maxxmel/Case_Internal_2of3.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
cooool buddha!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts