New 45!

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Milehile, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Milehile

Milehile Guest

I went to a Gun Show here in Michigan at the Birch Run expo center this past Saturday, and my oh my was there a lot of nice guns. I saw so many 1911's my head was spinning. I wanted to try and find a Rock Island for under $300. No chance. The cheapest 1911 was $400.

So, my second choice was to get a .45 Hi-point. I found 4 in the whole show. Two for $225 (idiots, it goes for $190 brand new on the Hi-point website), one for $175 (that's better), then mine, for $155 brand new. WOW! Of course I bought it. Now the bad news, only one mag. I expected that, what I didn't expect was the lack of mags at the show. I looked around for about an hour for .45ACP mags for the Hi-point. The only one I found was for the older version that didn't have the plastic base. GRR.

I got it home, and the first thing I did was trying to figure out how to take it apart. Holy mother this thing is tough to take down. I was thinking it would be as easy as the 995 was when I had it. Nope. I almost lost the recoil spring when I took the slide off, lol, butterfingers.

So, that is my first experience with my new .45 and I have to say "WOOF! This thing is beefy." I'll be taking it to the range here on Wednesday to see how she fires, and how well the accuracy is. I put the ghost sight on, and have it configured the way I like it. I'm hoping the accuracy isn't as bad as my CZ 75 I had to take back.

2. Congrats on your purchace.

3. they are kind of big but its worth the trade off with the warranty and the price. i love mine. congrats on your new gun.

4. Hello and welcome to the forum.

Hi-Point doesn't recommend taking down your gun on a regular basis.

5. Yeah, quit tinkering and start shooting!! Really, you don't need to disassemble your weapon. Just hit the high spots and keep shooting. I plan on taking mine apart about every 5000 rounds or so.

6. Milehile

Milehile Guest

Good tip. Thanks. I just wanted to take it apart to make sure everything was in it's place. It was advertised as new, but it is a gun show. I looked in the bore, and there is a small section that isn't smooth. It's kind of rough about an inch in from the feed ramp. Looks almost like some of the metal is missing. Kinda like, the inside of the barrel was chrome plated, and the plating is flaking off. I wish I would be able to take a good picture of it to show you. I'll see what I can do.

7. Milehile

Milehile Guest

This is the best I was able to take. Although it's a little blurry, you can still see the rifling, and how it looks like it's flaking away. It's around the entire bore, but only in the first inch where the rifling starts.

[​IMG]

9. If you are at all concerned, do what digger suggests and contact Hi Point and send the pistol in for inspection.

They will change out any parts that need changing and send it back to you

That is what I would do

10. Milehile

Milehile Guest

I think what I'm going to do is take the gun to the range tomorrow and see if the gun functions properly. If so, then I won't worry about it. That issue with the barrel seems to really be the only problem. The spring is black and new looking, the feed ramp is black and polished, there doesn't seem to be any wear on/in the gun, magazine is new, the box it came in was the original box (really aged box, although it came will all the documentation, spare parts, etc), and the only debris that I could find was the spot around the firing pin hole where it looks as though a cartridge has been loaded (I figured this would be for testing purposes).

If everything goes well at the range, I won't worry about it. But, if I have some FTFeed, FTFire, FTE, or anything of that nature, then I will call Hi-point and send it in for maintenance.

11. Milehile

Milehile Guest

GRRR. What kind of gun range is closed on a Wednesday. I wasn't able to get to the range today to test out the gun. I have to go some other day now. Oh well.

12. Since the dealers in central Michigan can't get any Hi Points because of their popularity I am going to try the Cadilac gun show this weekend. I picked up my purchase permit today so I am good to buy!!! As long as it is in 10 days. I did find a good deal on a baretta. It was a PX4 used but owner never fired for $350. After looking at Barettas warrenty I think I am still going to go with the Hi-Point for my starter pistol and when I am comfortable and confident and if I decide I need more gun I won't be out anything and I will have a extra pistol for the gun safe!!!