new 4595 questions

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by The_Cysko_Kid, Feb 12, 2015.

1. The_Cysko_Kid

The_Cysko_Kid Member

I just received my new 4595 after a week of waiting. Opened it and...the rear sight rail is bent inwards. Now I had it shipped with a red dot scope which I was planning to put on anyway but still this sucks. The safety plug (little yellow plug) is totally torn up. I only live an hour from Mansfield so this should not be a problem. I attached the charging bolt and immediately notice the outer ring definitely has about a quarter inch of play. Is this normal? I don't like it. When pulling the bolt back out pops some of the missing parts of the safety plug which begs the question...where is the rest? I am not able to shoot this weapon tonight so I'll be looking it over thoroughly (it's very oily out of the box btw) I'm a bit worried this weapon has been damaged during shipping. Anything I should be looking for here?

2. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I just got my own a couple of nights ago and haven't been able to shoot it, yet. What I have determined, though, is that that outer ring has play in it so that you can push it into the widened area at the rear of the slot, in which the charging handle cycles, in order to lock the bolt open. If it had no play, It wouldn't be able to move in and out.

My chamber plug was mangled, too. I'm guessing that that is just a consequence of the bolt having crushed it when it was closed with the plug installed. They probably ship it that way, and then the LGS removes it to inspect the weapon when It arrives.

3. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

The bolt handle has play because it is used to lock the bolt open. When you pull the bolt all the way back you push in on the bolt handle and that locks the bolt open.

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Pull a Boresnake through it, or run a patch on a rod through the barrel, then look to make sure the bore is clear.

Don't take it apart. :)

When you say the rear sight rail...do you mean the rail the sight is on, or the protective sides of the peep sight?

5. The_Cysko_Kid

The_Cysko_Kid Member

Good deal thanks for the replies. I was worried I had cross threaded it

6. The_Cysko_Kid

The_Cysko_Kid Member

The protective side of the ghost ring sight. The sight itself seems to be OK but the protector is bent inwards. I can probably bend it out with a pair of needle nose but I have to wait until the kids are asleep to examine it further.

7. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    No biggie. A quick phone call to Hi-Point will get you a free replacement.

As for the chamber flag, is it a big deal? We've all got those useless things lying around.

8. cicpup

Vermont
    That is unusual. HPs are usually shipped dry. Think your FFL might have spritzed it down for you?

9. The_Cysko_Kid

The_Cysko_Kid Member

The chamber flag is definitely not a big deal except I had to bend a wire coat hanger a big and fish the mangled parts out where they were stuck in oil around the feed ramp. I took a needle nose and gently pried the protective rail back into shape. That seems to be OK now. As for the oil who knows. I don't think the ffl ordered it directly from hi point as I paid less with his fee than their msrp on the site. It was probably oiled at the location he ordered it from. I don't think it will be a major problem except I'm always leery of excess oil in the chamber collecting gunk. This does not seem to be a very easy gun to disassemble so I'll do my best to clean it through the ejection port.

Also...maybe this is a stupid question but the firing pin looks real stubby vs the pin in my c9?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  10. cicpup

Vermont
    Whole lot easier than you think.

11. Irishfanatik

Irishfanatik Supporting Member

Just wait until he shoots it. Right Dagwood?
    FUN FUN FUN...
    I can't wait for Saturday. Finally get to shoot mine again.

12. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

Exactly!!!
    you are gonna love it!

13. Irishfanatik

Irishfanatik Supporting Member

Haha. I couldn't resist stealing what you said to me. Truer words have never been spoken. My HP carbine is the most fun thing I have shot since my ETS.

14. The_Cysko_Kid

The_Cysko_Kid Member

Just wondering what others have as the rear sight. The irons actually looked pretty effective but I went ahead and removed them and went with a bsa red dot scope figuring the effective range of a .45 pistol caliber longer barrel or not is never going to be more than around 100 yards at the very highest end, so there was no need for a 4x scope, but peeping through the rear sight was kind of straining on my eye so...best of both worlds there. I kind of bucked conventional wisdom in getting a 4595 when the pistol I have is a 9mm but screw it.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  15. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

My 4095 was so oily I had to wipe it down. I lost my chamber plug. Haven't see it since day 1.

16. My 4095 was oily as all get out also, wiped it down and cleaned the bore and chamber before I took it out the first time, can't say as I know where my chamber flag is,ain't seen it since i took it out.My rule of thumb, is if the chamber is closed, it's loaded.If it's locked open,and no magazine inserted, it ain't.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  17. TxGun

TxGun Member

From time-to-time, lock the bolt open and spray it out with a good solvent (careful not to use anything that discolors polymer), and let it drain. Other than that, run a bore snake through it before your first range trip and after every range trip and you'll be GTG. You can run 1000s of rounds without a major teardown.

18. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

Brakekleen, Gunscrubber, compressed air if you have it.

19. dxtac

dxtac Member

I bought my 4095 from CTD and it shipped without issue. It did have a significant amount of gun grease all over and I had to wipe it down completely inside and out. I actually used several alcohol pads on the exterior and ran a few pads down the barrel with some Hoppes and they came out BLACK at first. Maybe QC had to make some adjustments? After cleaning the barrel I sprayed a significant amount of MP down the barrel and ran a pad quickly down it to remove excess. I then took it to the range and ran 500 rounds of Freedom Munitions, Winchester white box and 20 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense without a single issue. Forgot to mention I did tear apart and cleaned the 4 ten round Hi-Point magazines as well.

I did immediately remove the iron sights and replaced them with a $24 Field Sport red and green reflex sight (Amazon). Zeroed it in after about 15 rounds at 100 yards to about a 1.5" group. Can't say enough good things about that sight. I love this carbine and it is now my favorite tool in the arsenal to shoot!!!

Derek

20. cvomike

cvomike Member

Got my 4595TS today and just finished cleaning the greasy pig the chamber plug looked like it had been smashed with a 5 lbs hammer but i like it so far will take it out tomorrow and run some lead through it ....